Sign in to follow this  
SHO-SHIN

4K Micro Stutter?

Just observed when playing in 4K at 61fps I am experiencing noticeable micro stutter, across several maps and servers.

This does not happen at 2K, 71fps at all.

My FPS is fine, as I am running a very powerful system, the only thing I can think causing this is the GPU memory bandwidth perhaps maxing out at times during a round? (I can use up to 10GB VRAM in 4K on certain maps, it's not maxing out as I have 11GB VRAM on the card).

Just wanted to see what others thought, a few mates who play at 4K have agreed it's a thing, and particularity in the last few weeks of play.

17 hours ago, moppel said:

microstutter is present in any resolution for me.

Squadfps.png

sure, understood and same for me. 

But it's enough for me to not play in 4K, 2K is absolutely fine.

I am just trying to establish if the GPU bandwidth (at times) is not enough to cope, despite me having a 1080ti with Memory Interface Width 352-Bit and memory bandwidth of 484GB/sec.

I am not running out of VRAM as I ensure it stays below the 11GB available at all times etc.

Tagging this thread as I too get micro stutter/rubber banding at 1440p Ultrawide even at 100+ FPS. Interested to see what's causing this. Yes it's playable but it's pretty annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Tagging this thread as I too get micro stutter/rubber banding at 1440p Ultrawide even at 100+ FPS. Interested to see what's causing this. Yes it's playable but it's pretty annoying.

Yes I still get some at 1440p, but it doesn't bother me so much.

What does bother me (like, a little bit), is I specifically got a G-Sync monitor to see if it went away which it hasn't. But I am happy enough at 1440p with high frames, and a little micro stutter.

I'm thinking it's server side and may be related to new players joining the server. i don't know the tech but this was an established thing on several large multiplayer games I have played (well Rust and Arma).

Yes I still get some at 1440p, but it doesn't bother me so much.

What does bother me (like, a little bit), is I specifically got a G-Sync monitor to see if it went away which it hasn't. But I am happy enough at 1440p with high frames, and a little micro stutter.

I'm thinking it's server side and may be related to new players joining the server. i don't know the tech but this was an established thing on several large multiplayer games I have played (well Rust and Arma).

Could well be yeah. I'm also running G-Sync, high FPS (at last!) and still get stutter at under 30 ping. Must be server side.

Just now, RipGroove said:

Could well be yeah. I'm also running G-Sync, high FPS (at last!) and still get stutter at under 30 ping. Must be server side.

welcome to the high FPS Club! (at last LOL).

welcome to the high FPS Club! (at last LOL).

Haha wooooooo!

I have got the game at 80fps locked in 1440p now.

All maps, full servers.

I am suitably smug with this, and thought to share!

I also weirdly still get some tearing.

I have got the game at 80fps locked in 1440p now.

All maps, full servers.

I am suitably smug with this, and thought to share!

Haha and rightly so!

Maby it's HD lag, are you using SSD for the game?

11 minutes ago, Pyle_DK said:

Maby it's HD lag, are you using SSD for the game?

HDD? Please.

M.2 nvme SSD all the way!

I get microstutter too. For me, it's triggered by using 200% res scale at 1080p, bringing me to 4k. If it wasnt for the microstutter, i would be able to play at 4k.

2 minutes ago, Mumble said:

I get microstutter too. For me, it's triggered by using 200% res scale at 1080p, bringing me to 4k. If it wasnt for the microstutter, i would be able to play at 4k.

Good point, i'm currently playing at 1440p 1.25 resolution and havn't noticed to much micro stutter, i'll ramp it up to 2 and see if it increases.

Me thinks it will.

I've only tried no SS, 1.25 SS and 1.5 SS and I get stutter at all of them. NVMe SSD here too.

One thing I think worth bringing up is that it's probably more of an UE4 engine issue than a Squad issue. When I investigated into it, I found that it was occurring in a few other UE4 titles, such as "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux." Take a look at a google search for that  and you'll see similar stuttering occurring there as well.

Just thought I should bring that up.

11 hours ago, Mumble said:

One thing I think worth bringing up is that it's probably more of an UE4 engine issue than a Squad issue. When I investigated into it, I found that it was occurring in a few other UE4 titles, such as "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux." Take a look at a google search for that  and you'll see similar stuttering occurring there as well.

Just thought I should bring that up.

Yes indeed, for me it's 'practically' irrelevant if it's Squad or UE4 - good to confirm of course to find any workarounds.

I'm all for working with what we have and making it run for a better Squad experience as I play it so much. 

But either way, it's mostly solved for me. Playing at 1440p with 1.5 resolution yields min micro stutter for me and decent FPS.

I have a 29" Ultrawide coming that uses 2560x1080, I want to test the IPS screen vs TN, the 21:9 vs 16:9 aspect ration, and hopefully get a reasonable FPS min jump.

I need a constant 90fps in my Squad life........................(But that will involve another new monitor I guess, but I will have 3 to sell so no big deal LOL).

Yes indeed, for me it's 'practically' irrelevant if it's Squad or UE4 - good to confirm of course to find any workarounds.

I'm all for working with what we have and making it run for a better Squad experience as I play it so much. 

But either way, it's mostly solved for me. Playing at 1440p with 1.5 resolution yields min micro stutter for me and decent FPS.

I have a 29" Ultrawide coming that uses 2560x1080, I want to test the IPS screen vs TN, the 21:9 vs 16:9 aspect ration, and hopefully get a reasonable FPS min jump.

I need a constant 90fps in my Squad life........................(But that will involve another new monitor I guess, but I will have 3 to sell so no big deal LOL).

Acer X34A, just saying :-)

42 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Acer X34A, just saying :-)

yes I know, I know..........I just need some foreplay before I go all in.

yes I know, I know..........I just need some foreplay before I go all in.

Hahahaha

I'm hoping with our hardware and further game optimisation we will eventually see that constant 90+FPS at Ultrawide 1440p and maybe even 4K as it's almost a reality on some maps already.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:50 AM, SHO-SHIN said:

well thats going back immediately...............LOL