Para

[video] Locking down Albashra - Great defence from this squad leader.

Interesting tactic for overwatch and lockdown on AlBashra..

Thoughts?

Problem.

You are intentionally allowing people into the flag point. Eventually, you get overrun. (more enemy players than yours).

Next, this relies on getting the necessary amount of built points. If the truck gets destroyed trying to supply the FOB, then you can't cover the windows and can't get what you need up in time.

Interesting, there are different views on this on yt, both for it and some against it. It does give a great overwatch position for a defending squad.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Para said:

Interesting, there are different views on this on yt, both for it and some against it. It does give a great overwatch position for a defending squad.

It does but you only occupy one corner of the entire perimeter. I personally think that's not a good idea in the long run.

What if other squads need to push out to another flag? They're effectively "stuck" inside the building. Sure, there is that small hole from the sandbag on the stairs that you need to crawl under, but you're slowed down by a lot doing that.

People may say, "Well, just spawn at main base or a rally point outside of the building."

What if there aren't any rally points outside of the building zone? Then you're screwed. 

Spawn at main base? That's still a problem at this point because the enemies know exactly where your other alternative route of attack is from now. 

2 attack options -> FOB building (as in the video), or main base. 

Rare case that there will be another FOB around the city to spawn on since we're assuming all the supplies are used to fully supply the building FOB.

Edited by Socrates

26 minutes ago, Para said:

me likes.

Keep 6 on the FOB/HAB Tower block and have a 3 man team in the surrounding buildings and it's solid. Good luck to the bad guys taking that, they will suffer massive ticket loss. If overrun and therefore losing the point pull another Squad into the fringe to stop that.

Sometimes these defensive FOB's/bunkers work, if the enemy really wants it gone and keeps throwing resources at it.

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

What if other squads need to push out to another flag? They're effectively "stuck" inside the building. Sure, there is that small hole from the sandbag on the stairs that you need to crawl under, but you're slowed down by a lot doing that.

People may say, "Well, just spawn at main base or a rally point outside of the building."

What if there aren't any rally points outside of the building zone? Then you're screwed. 

Spawn at main base? That's still a problem at this point because the enemies know exactly where your other alternative route of attack is from now.

I've encountered this a few times, very annoying when it's the only spawn point in the area and you have to push out because sitting there is only getting you killed and those objectives don't cap them selves...
And then players getting all worked because you dig up 1 sandbag partially...

The one in the video looked better designed though.

2 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

me likes.

Keep 6 on the FOB/HAB Tower block and have a 3 man team in the surrounding buildings and it's solid. Good luck to the bad guys taking that, they will suffer massive ticket loss. If overrun and therefore losing the point pull another Squad into the fringe to stop that.

^My thought's exactly. 

Also it all depends if the enemy forces gives you the breathing space for your team to build & for Logi trucks to supply.

I don't know... It must take a lot of time to build this ! What was the other team doing ?

If you are on defence in the middle of the map this might be more viable. 

Posted (edited)

This is my main tactic as insurgent SL at Al Basrah. It's extremely effective if done properly. Sure, you still CAN get overrun, but only if the enemy team is much, much better than yours. This can be done with high-rises in Courtyard and Apartments flags (the one pictured in video, plus buildings at SW and SE corners of Apartments block).

The basics of success are simple:
1. Your men are spawning in capzone, whereas the enemies have to run 2-400m under fire, losing cohesion

2. You hold the high ground (by holding the tallest building in the block)

3. You have the firepower advantage (ammo crates and HMGs galore)
4. It is extremely hard for the enemy to inhibit your FOB (more on that later)
5. It is extremely hard for the enemy to destroy your HAB or storm the building in general (barbed wire on entrances+ double sandbags on stairs)
6. As insurgents, your supply run to Courtyard is ridiculously short, allowing to build of a lot of defenses in a very short time.

The only downside is that the enemy quickly find out where your force is and start sniping at the building with HMG vehicles. But, since holding either Apartments or Courtyard means ticket bleed for US, the losses from vehicle fire are not a big deal, especially if medics do their job.

Usual counter-arguments:
1. "You are locked in the building" - that is precisely the point. Otherwise, most of the team will wander outside the capzone, and eventually will get stealth flanked and lose the flag.
This way, you're pretty much guaranteed numbers advantage where it matters. Also, since the enemy will always stay busy peppering the base from long range, the COD crowd is kept entertained.

IMO best placement for the HAB is on the 3rd-4th floor, high enough to where the storming enemies have to do some fighting to get to it, low enough to where it's out of view of long-range vehicles and people can still get downstairs relatively quickly. HAB on the roof as pictured in video is pretty bad IMO because it's easy to shoot HMGs/PRGs/mortars at it, and also it takes forever for anyone to get downstairs. Higher HABs are probably better for Americans since they have the long-range advantage, insurgents benefit more from handing out on middle floors.

2. "You lose the ability to maneuver" - see #1. Sitting in a near-impregnable fortress with infinite ammo that dominates the flag is far superior to running out on the street getting machinegunned.

3. "They'll just swarm the flag and increase spawn timer / take out your FOB" - there are two approaches to prevent this.

Approach #1 is to simply put the FOB on the top of the building. I think (never really tested but seems to be that way) that the "inhibition distance" for spawn timer is vertical as well as horizontal. Meaning that the enemy will have to actually breach your "fortress" in order to increase spawn timer.

There are two downsides to this:
- Getting to the top of the building takes some time, and if the squad is really disorganized, people might be slow to follow you there (put rally on roof to get people to spawn). In that time, another SL might make a useless mortar FOB at Suburbs or something, and block yours.
- If enemy manage to come into the building, your spawn timer increases.

Approach #2 is to drop the FOB in the open street behind the objective. For Courtyard, I generally use the open street intersection SE of the building in video above. The downside is that the enemy can theoretically undig it, the upsides are that it's extremely hard for them to do so under fire, this FOB placement doesn't block Refinery FOBs, and the spawn timer doesn't normally get inhibited because enemies don't usually hang out behind the objective.

In my experience, approach #2 works better, but maybe because FOBs-in-street are a new thing and attackers don't know to throw smoke and dig, and in general to hang out close to them to inhibit.

4. "They'll storm the building and undig your HAB" - double sandbags on 1st floor on stairs(no hole, no way to get over them) with ammo crate close by.
Hear digging - underhand grenades over barricade - get more grenades from ammo crate - repeat. Very hard to do much about that. And now, there are IEDs...

There are more tips and tricks, such as ladder to the top of small "shack" on the roof(+sandbags+mortar on top), or putting HMGs in windows, but I'm kinda short on time, I think the outlines of this tactic are obvious.

Edited by tatzhit