Atips

suppression??

will Squad have a suppression effect like PR just have not seen any yet.  :wacko: 

Personally I think PRs suppression is overbearing and is one of the main reasons I stopped playing.

Something along the lines of Red Orchestra Ostfront's or Insurgency's  suppression would be wonderful IMO. Is a lot closer to what bullets are like whizzing by your head than complete situational unawareness from what I've been told. I could be wrong but I remember being almost completely blind when under fire in Project Reality.

Here's an example of someone going prone and getting suppressed at 2:29:

https://youtu.be/Meli7UlGvHk?t=2m26s

Would really like to see the insane mechanics of PR discarded as they were really only there because of the engine from what I understand. ( Like deviation which I am singing and skipping and dancing is gone.)

With bullet cracks and wizzes from near hits you feel VERY compelled to find cover the second you start taking rounds, and that is without the need of blurring your screen.

We have several other things we want to play around with too, but don't expect it to be 1:1 with what PR has, a blurry screen is not our end goal here.

And we aren't just pulling this out of our butts either, two of our team members have been shot at numerous times in the line of duty. You will get a very immersive experience for sure when we get to the final result.

And we aren't just pulling this out of our butts either, two of our team members have been shot at numerous times in the line of duty. You will get a very immersive experience for sure when we get to the final result.

poor dev team, get shot all day lolololol

With bullet cracks and wizzes from near hits you feel VERY compelled to find cover the second you start taking rounds, and that is without the need of blurring your screen.

We have several other things we want to play around with too, but don't expect it to be 1:1 with what PR has, a blurry screen is not our end goal here.

I love you guys. A relief to hear.

This seem's like a really hard thing to get right, either it's overdone or the effect's are barely noticeable in most Game's that have it.

This seem's like a really hard thing to get right, either it's overdone or the effect's are barely noticeable in most Game's that have it.

well were all the willing guniea pigs for the devs testing purposes :)

Instead of playing the like Shell shocked type effect trying to Simulate the fear and need to find cover, 

Just have the Bullet sound that snaps by your ear,have the sound increased ten fold,Because then the Actual Shock,Surprise and Need to get away from it is real, instead of being Simulated by Visuals,Sound Effects and stat Debuff's? 

Instead of playing the like Shell shocked type effect trying to Simulate the fear and need to find cover, 

Just have the Bullet sound that snaps by your ear,have the sound increased ten fold,Because then the Actual Shock,Surprise and Need to get away from it is real, instead of being Simulated by Visuals,Sound Effects and stat Debuff's? 

that's essentially exactly what happens right now, and the game's still in pre-alpha. 

the devs are doing a great job.

that's essentially exactly what happens right now, and the game's still in pre-alpha. 

the devs are doing a great job.

And no one here is saying they arn't,However from watching raw gameplay, the sound isnt loud enough,its why I say increase it tenfold,I have really cheap speakers and Astro A50s, and compared to gunfire the snap and pops of the rounds are pretty dull, Increase it so it startles players, So when a MG opens up on you,you scatter for cover and nothing else,instead of looking around for whos shooting at you. 

And no one here is saying they arn't,However from watching raw gameplay, the sound isnt loud enough,its why I say increase it tenfold,I have really cheap speakers and Astro A50s, and compared to gunfire the snap and pops of the rounds are pretty dull, Increase it so it startles players, So when a MG opens up on you,you scatter for cover and nothing else,instead of looking around for whos shooting at you. 

you should ask MikeDude about this, he seems to have had a pretty intense experience with getting suppressed in-game recently that sounded like it's right up your alley, in terms of what you're asking for

Something along the lines of Red Orchestra Ostfront's or Insurgency's  suppression would be wonderful IMO.

The suppression in Red Orchestra wasn't enough to scare the player away while being pinned down. And I don't mean that it should have this terrible blurry, blackout screen but something that Darkest Hour did.

The trouble in Red Orchestra people would disregard it and still being able to score off an enemy.

The Darkest Hour mod team corrected this issue and improved the suppression by having a shaky effect making the player unable to effectively hit an enemy. 

You'll see what I mean here from 2:10 to 2:20

Wait and see Tenko,even now with this development,the sounds effects,you will scatter for cover...or death will be upon you!

The sounds in this game are amazing! Usually Ill look for a way to add my own sound mod to give better more realistic sounds but this game nailed it on the spot, Just the bullet Travel sounds,Impact with Ground Sounds and Player Hit sounds are too quiet. Beef it up by 4 times and itll make getting sniped from "snip" your dead to " KA POW"  Holy god that scared me dead.

you should ask MikeDude about this, he seems to have had a pretty intense experience with getting suppressed in-game recently that sounded like it's right up your alley, in terms of what you're asking for

I was watching a stream with no commentary,and you can even hear it when players get killed, you the sound of the bullet impacts are as loud as the bullet sounds.Even watching others(watching hte last playtest) its quiet. Even the bullets hitting/killing you are quieter than the bullets hitting the ground,

I mean cmon when bullets are making so much noise blurring out Comms its pretty cool, and instead of just seeing a black screen that says " Your Dead" hearing a loud snap that sounds like its directly at you then a Very loud Thud that sounds like your guy got the wind knocked out of him,then a black screen shows up, kinda more dramatic and really stresses the player Audibility  instead of Visually. 

The sounds in this game are amazing! Usually Ill look for a way to add my own sound mod to give better more realistic sounds but this game nailed it on the spot, Just the bullet Travel sounds,Impact with Ground Sounds and Player Hit sounds are too quiet. Beef it up by 4 times and itll make getting sniped from "snip" your dead to " KA POW"  Holy god that scared me dead.

Indeed Tenko...

Just gonna quote this from Z-trooper:

What are they hiding up their sleeves?...It's gonna be painful!. :D 

I agree with how cracks and wizzes will have an affect of most people a lot of the time. However, that will diminish with time and experience in the game. This could be seen as a "skill" almost but... yeah I think it would tend to be unbalanced. 

Perhaps a simple mechanic like your soldier closing his eyes briefly when there is a pop. I know my eyes close when the pops seem close in real life. A simple involuntary darkening of the screen might be a good compromise. 

Not confusion of your aim or anything. Maintaining situational awareness and discipline with the screen going black could be hard. This would have to be subtle because if you were always getting a black screen you'd be irritated. If it could be done just enough to make the person playing the game have to overcome it without it taking over (as most suppression effects do) it would be good. 

The Darkest hour vid above has the most frightening suppression I have yet to see in any game.

I was merely watching the video and I felt like ducking.

What are your thoughts on suppression not only affecting vision but also motor skills such as screwing with aim/movement.

It could for example slow down the speed rate that you reach full speed with the momentum system.

Also how do you feel about suppression from not only gunfire but also explosions. Having a mortar land near you even if it does no harm to you will certainly shell shock you somewhat disorienting you for a bit .

Also how do you feel about suppression from not only gunfire but also explosions. Having a mortar land near you even if it does no harm to you will certainly shell shock you somewhat disorienting you for a bit .

Yeah we had a thread about explosion effects on players,like ear ringing blur vision...somewhere?

This was my contribution..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J08v0d7Fygg

Darkest Hour has the best suppression feature; and no offense to the PR team, it is personally the best mod I have ever played.  

I seem to remember one of the first iterations of Americas Army that the sounds were enough on their own as they were done so well. Looking at the footage I've seen so far the devs have done a bloody good job of this already.

There might be a slight bit of blurring around the edges...maybe, just as an additional feedback mechanic if the bullet snap didn't get your attention the first time.

For the most part, I am trying to stay away from overly exaggerated visual effects, we can achieve other results through weapon mechanics, stamina, and audio. At the end of the day, your life is not threatened and no amount of design is going to fix that. So, we will do what we can, but someone is going to be disappointed, those people can go join the real military and experience the real thing.

If it makes you guys feel any better, we had just implemented the bullet snaps and were testing various things. It was late at night and I wasn't expecting any gunfire, much less any at me from the other devs, I practically had a heart attack. They are the real deal and I might turn them up even more (we already did once).

I hope you will also remove "blood" effect from the screen when getting injures.