jscaff   

I hadn't played for a good 5 months, updates are great game is looking very good but i came back to play today and i couldn't play no more then 10 minutes and i'll tell you why, The movement is slow their is no free look, running is slow when running across the road for cover. Is there any changes to movement/free look ?

Rook   

Yes, probably with V10, there are some videos around, but a little forum search will show you everything you want to know.

Smee   

Movement isn't going to get faster. They reduced fatigue so you need to keep your fatigue to when you need to be running. No BF3/4 here

6 hours ago, jscaff said:

I hadn't played for a good 5 months, updates are great game is looking very good but i came back to play today and i couldn't play no more then 10 minutes and i'll tell you why, The movement is slow their is no free look, running is slow when running across the road for cover. Is there any changes to movement/free look ?

When I cross roads I first go prone, build up my stamina and then sprint by holding down the "Shift" key.

The most awesome change to Squad so far is lowering off the running speed. That stuff was ridiculous back in the day. We could literally dodge bullets how fast we could move. Hated that stuff, it broke the whole concept of teamplaying foundation.

Rybec   
8 hours ago, jscaff said:

running is slow when running across the road for cover.

I love this part. Taking a moment to get up to a sprint is a great thing.

They have also shown a video of freelook. It's coming.

I love actually having to cover your teammates in order to move safely, it's much better gameplay wise than being able to dart around at the speed of light with no care in the world.

Sahara   

Free look is coming. As for movement, I feel the slowness is appropriate. For conventional forces I sorta wish it would be slower, along with US/British/RUS forces not really being able to jump more than a few inches once the new vaulting system is in, to simulate weight of body armor along with asymmetrical balance, making INS able to run and flank faster. Seeing US forces in full kit doing parkour over rooftops on Sumari is just odd to watch. 

SgtRoss   

The default jumping distance will likely be lowered once vaulting and climbing are in. It was artificially increased to compensate for the difficulty players were having jumping over walls.

As far as movement is concerned, the speed we have (talking raw numbers here) will likely go unchanged minus a few items here and there. 

There are plans for a "sprint to cover" type mechanic relating to your stamina as a secondary sprint mechanic, and we are planning on a crouch sprint. Hopefully, this will help players move more fluidly thru the environment under pressure, while still keeping a more "tactical" pace.

As was stated by a few players here, freelook is planned.

Converge   
2 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

The default jumping distance will likely be lowered once vaulting and climbing are in. It was artificially increased to compensate for the difficulty players were having jumping over walls.

As far as movement is concerned, the speed we have (talking raw numbers here) will likely go unchanged minus a few items here and there. 

There are plans for a "sprint to cover" type mechanic relating to your stamina as a secondary sprint mechanic, and we are planning on a crouch sprint. Hopefully, this will help players move more fluidly thru the environment under pressure, while still keeping a more "tactical" pace.

That all sounds perfect actually. Good stuff.

Skymo   
3 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

Sounds good!

SgtRoss   
1 hour ago, Peerun said:

All we need now is for bullets to stop people running.

We will likely not "stop" players from running due to hits; there is a point where gameplay and realism clash, especially when trying to appeal to a larger audience.

However, localized hit penalties in varying degrees have been planned for awhile.

Peerun   
1 minute ago, SgtRoss said:

We will likely not "stop" players from running due to hits; there is a point where gameplay and realism clash, especially when trying to appeal to a larger audience.

However, localized hit penalties in varying degrees have been planned for awhile.

What I meant is that if I am running and I get hit I'd atleast stumble a little bit - not that I shouldn't be able to run after. Not sure if you interpreted it that way.

SgtRoss   
7 minutes ago, Peerun said:

What I meant is that if I am running and I get hit I'd atleast stumble a little bit - not that I shouldn't be able to run after. Not sure if you interpreted it that way.

Yes, I thought you meant literally "stop."

Mumble   
7 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

Will there be any mechanics to stop players from walking along thin walls, such as the walls on an afghani compound? a bit of a buzz killer when a player is essentially running along 8-inch wide beam.

SgtRoss   
14 minutes ago, Mumble said:

Will there be any mechanics to stop players from walking along thin walls, such as the walls on an afghani compound? a bit of a buzz killer when a player is essentially running along 8-inch wide beam.

That is something we desire to fix, we'll see what happens, but our animators are aware of this issue.

Peerun   

I think the most elegant way of dealing with it, would be if you got shot(or shot in the leg), it'd force your character to make a step. That way, if you got shot while on a narrow ledge, it'd make you step off.
Unless, there's something behind you to stop you from falling - like a wall.

Edited by Peerun

Sorta   

Once vaulting mechanics are in, I don't really see what the point of a jump button would be anymore, especially if the height is decreased.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:26 PM, SgtRoss said:

That is something we desire to fix, we'll see what happens, but our animators are aware of this issue.

Will there be differences in player movement between conventional forces and insurgents/militia? If the ability to walk on walls to climb onto rooftops is removed for conventional forces, I'd still like to see non-conventional forces still able to climb onto walls and get to rooftops without ladders. And that reminds me, are we going to get something along the lines of the grappling hook from PR that can be used to climb onto buildings without having to place a FOB radio? Being able to flank from above by climbing to rooftops and into building windows is something I don't want to lose and would like to see a proper implementation of.

Peerun   

They showcased a jumping animation in one of the older vaulting videos. Don't see a reason why it'd be removed either.

On 18.6.2017 at 8:47 PM, Sorta said:

Once vaulting mechanics are in, I don't really see what the point of a jump button would be anymore, especially if the height is decreased.

And what you do if you need to jump in example from roof A to roof B over a one feet wide space?