King Chubbles

Squad Mortar Calculator App (Android)

Squad Mortar Calculator App for android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mitchellhodzen.squadmortarcalculator&hl=en

Quickly and accurately calculate azimuth and elevation settings for your mortar emplacements for any given target in range.This app is available to download through Google Play on most android devices.

Features:

• Simple to use GUI to quickly enter coordinates, no need to use a keyboard
  • Accurate down to the sub-sub-sub-key
  • Set new targets quickly - No need to re-enter mortar position
  • Works for any sized map
  • Fast an efficient -  No fluff, just open the app and enter coordinates

This app has been thoroughly tested and shown to be fast and accurate

If anyone has any questions or suggestions please let me know, I'll be happy to make changes.

Changelog:

Spoiler

1.5: Much higher precision: can now input sub-subkey and sub-sub-subkey. These inputs are optional, as that level of precision is not always necessary. Scroll down on the key and subkey input to see these new options.

Possible future features:

• Setting and saving multiple mortar positions to account for multiple mortar FOBs - May work against the simplistic nature of the app

Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/6ay948/squad_mortar_calculator_app_android/

Edited by King Chubbles

8 minutes ago, Voice said:

Might be fun having on the ipad next to the pc.

I'm gonna look into getting it on Iphones and Ipads. The back end of the app would be pretty easy to transfer over, since it's just math. I just have to learn Apple app development, shouldn't be too difficult.

27 minutes ago, Voice said:

Might be fun having on the ipad next to the pc.

You could have one of these next to your PC, maybe more fun...

vintage-mortar-cannon-isolated-25078047.

I love the idea, but I think for this to be fully effective, you need to implement additional subkey coordinate entries (like A5-KP3-7-3-1...) because the sub-keypad grid in the map system is still 33x33 meters which leaves as much as 45 meters of deviation (in extreme cases) but mortars are only as effective as their targeting, so I just think the more precise, the better. Hope I didn't come off too critical. And honestly awesome job developing this app so soon after 9.4 released! Thanks.

6 hours ago, jellyswim said:

I love the idea, but I think for this to be fully effective, you need to implement additional subkey coordinate entries (like A5-KP3-7-3-1...) because the sub-keypad grid in the map system is still 33x33 meters which leaves as much as 45 meters of deviation (in extreme cases) but mortars are only as effective as their targeting, so I just think the more precise, the better. Hope I didn't come off too critical. And honestly awesome job developing this app so soon after 9.4 released! Thanks.

Absolutely, I'm currently looking into adding additional subkeys while still keeping the GUI simple. I think I've figured out a good way of doing it, keep your eye on the app for the next week hopefully I'll have it updated. And of course you're not coming off as too critical, I love getting feedback, I appreciate it.

To everyone else thanks for everything. Nearly 300 downloads! I was expecting 50 tops!

16 hours ago, King Chubbles said:

Absolutely, I'm currently looking into adding additional subkeys while still keeping the GUI simple. I think I've figured out a good way of doing it, keep your eye on the app for the next week hopefully I'll have it updated. And of course you're not coming off as too critical, I love getting feedback, I appreciate it.

To everyone else thanks for everything. Nearly 300 downloads! I was expecting 50 tops!

Awesome dude! I appreciate your hard work with this, it's really cool to have app developers working on things related to video games! Keep up the good work!

Update 1.5:

Much higher precision: can now input sub-subkey and sub-sub-subkey. These inputs are optional, as that level of precision is not always necessary. Scroll down on the key and subkey input to see these new options.

By far the most requested feature has been to add the ability to set sub-subkeys and sub-sub-subkeys. I've added that functionality to the app. You can now set mortar positions and target positions much, much more precisely. Adding these keys are optional, and set default to 5 as that is the middle of the next highest subgrid (if you select Grid A3 Keypad 4 subkey 8, it will hit in the center of subkey 8).

Please let me know if anyone has any issues with this update, or any suggestions.Thanks again for all the support, and thanks for the pin mods!

We only play pub games, but it been really useful for getting rounds on target fast. 

7 hours ago, King Chubbles said:

Please let me know if anyone has any issues with this update, or any suggestions.

Might be nice to be able to input elevation for mortar & target to be ready for when we get that info on the map.

One more request.  (I love this tool by the way)

Once set, can you allow us to save the presets?

Ex: Target loc -  f5 kp2 5. Save as Alpha

Target loc -  C2 kp2 3. Save as Bravo

Etc etc.

That way we can quickly reference fire locations and concentrations?

Obviosly changing mortar positions would be a challenge but perhaps still have to select origin site?  Or maybe even save the origin site?

Like, alpha (mortar loc.) to bravo (tgt loc)

Great app dude.  Very fun to use.

Hooves

13 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Might be nice to be able to input elevation for mortar & target to be ready for when we get that info on the map.

As of now elevation of the mortar emplacement and target are out of the scope of this project. Ideally we could use the height maps of the level, along with the coordinate, to be able to calculate the height very accurately. It will be something to look into at a later date, however.

4 hours ago, Hooves said:

Once set, can you allow us to save the presets?

Ex: Target loc -  f5 kp2 5. Save as Alpha

Target loc -  C2 kp2 3. Save as Bravo

Etc etc.

That way we can quickly reference fire locations and concentrations?

Ide thought of saving mortar positions (see possible future features), but I hadn't thought of saving target positions. Its a good idea, I'll look into it for a future release.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hi man awesome app. I just had some thoughts about improving the UI. I made a crappy mockup to get my ideas across. I won't lie, I have no experience with making apps so I won't assume anything about the difficulty of implementation.

cya7Q12.png

http://i.imgur.com/cya7Q12.png

Persistent information: at a glance, the mortar position, target position and fire settings (in this case to one decimal point) are constantly accessible. You mentioned in an earlier post that the mortar positions might be saved, and the saving would be necessary here. This also saves some space compared to the current UI in terms of indicating what has been inputted.

Streamlined and intuitive input: the current system is clunky and there are few parts that my mockup has:

• All input options are visible: making stuff a bit more compact and tightening the gaps should allow everything to be crammed in there.
  • Subkey input happens in a single column of keypads: subkey input should be a smooth and intuitive process. Having the subkey grids arranged one below another makes sense.
  • Keys indicate that they have been pressed: just a bit of extra visual information, which might be useful especially if things start to get squished together.

Tabbed pages: makes the organisation of the app a bit cleaner.

I'm not sure about having all of the grid input options being visible. If you really wanted to save space, the grid input could utilise something similar to the scrolling system used by iOS for time input. If all of that space were saved, you'd definitely have space to create some sort of "Saved Positions" section on each page.

On 5/17/2017 at 1:18 AM, HaafuGee said:

Hi man awesome app. I just had some thoughts about improving the UI. I made a crappy mockup to get my ideas across. I won't lie, I have no experience with making apps so I won't assume anything about the difficulty of implementation.

Hey, thanks for the feedback and taking the time to do a mockup. I like the idea of having the keypad selection and subsequent subkey selections all in one column. I'm not completely sold on the grid input on the left, however. I'll mess around with the editor and see if I can get something working.

I worry about making any sweeping changes to the design without feedback from more users, however. I can certainly implement it and test it, though, and see what works. Thanks again for putting this kind of effort into improving the app, I appreciate it.

So,  one more thing that crossed my mind for a future update would be a representation of each map.  That you would be able to just touch where you want to place your mortar and target.  No actual keypad entry,  its automated by touching on the map.  Of course it would take time to incorperate each in game map.  But that could lead to alot more bells and whistels like a range plot, time of flight indicators and even more.

Hooves

this is a great app and really enhances the game.  one suggestion i have is to calculate the flight time of the mortar?

54 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Thanks, that would mean alt tabbing out of Squad though mid game. Maybe I'll just buy a cheap used Android phone off of someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or tablet.

Or tablet.

That was my first thought actually but I can get a used phone for cheaper :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk