ukigumo

Mortars on small maps

Had the pleasure to play against a hypermortarcrew on OP1stLight. They set up 2 fobs 2-300 m from the base and since the map is super small they had the range to hit everywhere. Also the supplytruck just kept running between the 2 mortarspots. It was 4 mortars non-stop pounding the other team and it was not fun. I think mortars should be removed from smaller maps like they were in PR. 

Couldn't agree more. They're a cool addition but I can't stand how they can literally pummel a spot for the entire... freaking.... round

The best part about an on-map mortar is the fact you can go take out the crew and dismantle the FOB.

I'd say we need a pre-defined mortar-limit for each map, depending on the size and setting.

Mortars are vehicles to me and they should be limited in a similar way.

agree that mortars should be limited in some way.. it only needs 1 person to man a mortar, load and fire .. I would like to see two man mortar teams .. this would really impact the decision for a squad to use them on small maps and really impact their man power.. atm if its only two people then there is no serious impact on the squad.

All of this would be valid if "pummeling a spot" with mortars had any effect. Currently, it's only effective if you can zero in on enemy HAB in an open-topped compound, which is a rather narrow set of circumstances. Otherwise, yeah the mortar user will get a few kills, but he would be way more useful to the team actually fighting for capzones.

Also, if people apply the same amount of logi runs and coordination to, I dunno, actually building FOBs to attack capzones and covering approaches with HMGs,  it's also much more effective.

22 hours ago, Rybec said:

The best part about an on-map mortar is the fact you can go take out the crew and dismantle the FOB.

Rybec dropping rounds with the truth mortar! 

Personally, I would like to see mains treated like a FOB for placement purposes and have it's own 400 meter inderdiction radius as well. Maps in PR had denial zones where the enemy could not go and mortars we're not allowed in these areas. Squad is quickly following this design but I want to see the devs do it and not server admins.