Kevin38

New Player shopping for computer!

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Squad Community,

 

Hey what is up guys, veteran battlefield arena gamer but new to Squad. I have been out of the gaming circle for a while but am ready to jump back in.

I have made this decision because Squad appears to be a game more so based on tactics than being a fast and fancy button presser (lol) where good planning and teamwork wins the day most of the time.

Anyway I am a little behind and would just like to get some suggestions on a decent gaming rig that will run this game smoothly even in thick fire fights. I dont really have a ton to spend but the 1st thing that popped into my mind was maybe one of those Alien-ware packages designed strictly for gaming. So just wanted to get some ideas from some people who play this game a lot and see what you guys suggested, Any help would be much appreciated.

 

Thanks guys!

Kevin38

Edited by Kevin38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the familia mate.

Really you need to know what sort of dosh you wanna spend and/or are you going for AMD/Intel?.

 

 

Oh Yeah...remember Squad isn't fully Optimized yet,we're having a new "Animation System" V10 that will give us better performances & toys tolook forward to.

 

Edited by Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

Squad Community,

 

Hey what is up guys, veteran battlefield arena gamer but new to Squad. I have been out of the gaming circle for a while but am ready to jump back in.

I have made this decision because Squad appears to be a game more so based on tactics than being a fast and fancy button presser (lol) where good planning and teamwork wins the day most of the time.

Anyway I am a little behind and would just like to get some suggestions on a decent gaming rig that will run this game smoothly even in thick fire fights. I dont really have a ton to spend but the 1st thing that popped into my mind was maybe one of those Alien-ware packages designed strictly for gaming. So just wanted to get some ideas from some people who play this game a lot and see what you guys suggested, Any help would be much appreciated.

 

Thanks guys!

Kevin38

an idea on budget and any other use for the PC, then we can help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice is, if you are building for squad, wait. Wait at least a year.

You could build something now and end up regretting that you could have waited 6-12 months and have access to the next family of Intel processors, the latest gpu revisions and having the knowledge of how the game plays (performance) when everything else that they wish to include has been added to the game. 

If you're not just building for squad and need a new computer soon - can you wait 4-6 months? Intel is bringing out their next line of processors in the second half of this year and it's well worth waiting for this.

If you really need one now, I recommend GTX1070 and i5 7600k, with 16GB memory clocked at 3000mhz if on a budget. This gives you excellent price/performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanx for all the suggestions guys, definitely a good starting point, honestly I am ready to play now but I may upgrade in a year or so.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2017 at 11:59 AM, DigitalMe said:

My advice is, if you are building for squad, wait. Wait at least a year.

You could build something now and end up regretting that you could have waited 6-12 months and have access to the next family of Intel processors, the latest gpu revisions and having the knowledge of how the game plays (performance) when everything else that they wish to include has been added to the game. 

If you're not just building for squad and need a new computer soon - can you wait 4-6 months? Intel is bringing out their next line of processors in the second half of this year and it's well worth waiting for this.

If you really need one now, I recommend GTX1070 and i5 7600k, with 16GB memory clocked at 3000mhz if on a budget. This gives you excellent price/performance.

 

Are you seriously suggesting he should wait a year? :D

 

The OP needs to tell us his budget and what monitor he intends to use. Then we can actually help him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrOcto said:

 

Are you seriously suggesting he should wait a year? :D

 

The OP needs to tell us his budget and what monitor he intends to use. Then we can actually help him.

This. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Kevin38 also check your area for a type of sales network. its a localized craigslist type of animal.   my area has (LSN)

Edited by chaz69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrOcto said:

 

Are you seriously suggesting he should wait a year? :D

 

The OP needs to tell us his budget and what monitor he intends to use. Then we can actually help him.


Yes. 

Are you suggesting he shouldn't? Recommending that someone build a computer for a game that is still in development is possibly some of the worst advice that you could provide.

Perhaps I'm missing some joke, if so I am keen to be pointed in the direction of the punchline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is true that it would be a bad idea to build a new PC with the only goal being that it runs Squad well. Because the game is unoptimized and therefore might perform a bit 'unpredictable' in some ways.

That does not mean however that some people on these forums can't help OP build a PC that is generally considered to be a good computer for the pricerange that he desires. There's no denying that there is an insane amount of combined knowledge going around here when it comes to hardware :D

So Kevin, if you would like to get help:
- Indicate what budget you have available
- Let us know what the general purpose of the system would be (only gaming, video editing, whatever,...), because it's a bad idea to start building a rig with only Squad in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just build a super computer that does everything!  I built my computer to do that so Im covered if I want to play the latest game or build the next one.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MVPiet13 said:

It is true that it would be a bad idea to build a new PC with the only goal being that it runs Squad well. Because the game is unoptimized and therefore might perform a bit 'unpredictable' in some ways.

That does not mean however that some people on these forums can't help OP build a PC that is generally considered to be a good computer for the pricerange that he desires. There's no denying that there is an insane amount of combined knowledge going around here when it comes to hardware :D

So Kevin, if you would like to get help:
- Indicate what budget you have available
- Let us know what the general purpose of the system would be (only gaming, video editing, whatever,...), because it's a bad idea to start building a rig with only Squad in mind.


I never said they couldn't. Anyway, OP, take my advice: don't take their advice. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DO NOT BUY AMD.

 

Pay the premium and use intel, no matter what people tell you always go intel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MVPiet13 said:

It is true that it would be a bad idea to build a new PC with the only goal being that it runs Squad well. Because the game is unoptimized and therefore might perform a bit 'unpredictable' in some ways.

That does not mean however that some people on these forums can't help OP build a PC that is generally considered to be a good computer for the pricerange that he desires. There's no denying that there is an insane amount of combined knowledge going around here when it comes to hardware :D

So Kevin, if you would like to get help:
- Indicate what budget you have available
- Let us know what the general purpose of the system would be (only gaming, video editing, whatever,...), because it's a bad idea to start building a rig with only Squad in mind.

 

I have already received some good help without giving a budget.....lol

 

Anyway my budget is between $1K-2K, good range there, I use my laptop for everything else, I will just use this one for gaming and maybe streaming, that's pretty much it.....

9 hours ago, chaz69 said:

@Kevin38 also check your area for a type of sales network. its a localized craigslist type of animal.   my area has (LSN)

 

Thanx will look into it, just curious what part of TN are you in?; Paris, TN here......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 5/11/2017 at 4:59 AM, DigitalMe said:


If you really need one now, I recommend GTX1070 and i5 7600k, with 16GB memory clocked at 3000mhz if on a budget. This gives you excellent price/performance.

 

Okay I have actually found 1 that is liquid cooled with those exact specs except it is a GTS1060 priced just under $1K.....

Also, it is 16GB but clocked at 2400mhz......

Oh yeah as far as monitor is concerned I was just going to get a 28-32 inch HD tv, that is what I had in mind anyway......

Edited by Kevin38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

 

Okay I have actually found 1 that is liquid cooled with those exact specs except it is a GTS1060 priced just under $1K.....

Also, it is 16GB but clocked at 2400mhz......

Oh yeah as far as monitor is concerned I was just going to get a 28-32 inch HD tv, that is what I had in mind anyway......


With a 1070 you would be looking at high/maximum graphics at 1080p and 60 fps on full servers, unless the developers did something seriously wrong between now and release or include further graphical fidelity not currently in the alpha. 

Unless you plan on gaming in an oven there is no reason to introduce liquid cooling solutions. They offer a sizeable cost increase with very little benefit at stock speeds.

I'm not based in the US which I'm presuming you are, based on the currency and based on this : https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3408439

I'm guessing that's the product you just looked at? Bundle's are great offers (building yourself will typically be better). What you need to look out for with bundles, is the supplier using it to get rid of products with low volume sales. The h60 is one of those products. If they're including watercooling - the had better be overclocking it too and offering a sizeable warranty to boot. 

Do not buy that system.


Your budget is around what I expected - but you may need to stretch a little to get the components I recommended when considerations are made to it being built for you. I was looking at around $1k (or £1500 in the UK because we pay more). So you can see that you're probably going to be adding a couple of hundred dollars because of it being a bundle - particularly because they always try to push i7's onto you when you're getting a 1070 or better.

i5 6500, 6600, 6600k, 7500, 7600, 7600k
i7 6700, 6700k, 7700, 7700k
GTX 1070, GTX 1080

Any one of those paired together in a system being offered for less than $1300 is around the right territory. If you can build yourself (i.e. can look at a picture online and handle a screwdriver) you can probably save yourself some money but you will lose out on any bundle warranty (instead be looking at individual component warranty).

I have no doubt someone else here will be US based and can direct you to a reliable source for your needs.  Provided they use the components listed above you'll be dandy and have a reliable, powerful gaming system. If you move into AMD territory you can often find more performance for less cost or less cost for the same performance, however AMD have a reputation and history for being unreliable. I've regretted building a few systems that have had complaints of driver failure on their GPU's, overheating on the components and regular system crashes. I haven't recommended an AMD product for this reason for a long while.

If nobody chimes in with a decent US supplier I'll research them for you, but I'm confident someone here will have a beat on who is what on your side of the sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MrOcto said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c9L8kT

 

A premium high end build for $2030 that includes a gaming monitor. You most likely won't even hear the thing run.


Seems to go far and above what is necessary and doesn't include operating system, an optical drive or consideration for how he will install an OS, keyboard, mouse etc. 

Unless you're the shop owner seeking the best return I don't know why you would exhaust a budget with unnecessary components - like 2 SSD drives, a 7700k (when a 7600 would suffice), a 144hz 1440 monitor when the person was expecting a 28-32" TV ([email protected]), a gold rated fully modular PSU when a bronze rated semi modular 600w or less would suffice and have similar thermal efficiency.

You could change the build and provide similar level of performance at 1080 (~10 fps), with OS (w10 pro), keyboard (standard), mouse (logitech g502), headphones (steelseries siberia v2) and 27" [email protected] vdu. 

All for ~$1600. You save yourself ~$650, have a fit for purpose unit and everything you need to get going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 2017-5-13 at 11:31 AM, DigitalMe said:


Seems to go far and above what is necessary and doesn't include operating system, an optical drive or consideration for how he will install an OS, keyboard, mouse etc. 

Unless you're the shop owner seeking the best return I don't know why you would exhaust a budget with unnecessary components - like 2 SSD drives, a 7700k (when a 7600 would suffice), a 144hz 1440 monitor when the person was expecting a 28-32" TV ([email protected]), a gold rated fully modular PSU when a bronze rated semi modular 600w or less would suffice and have similar thermal efficiency.

You could change the build and provide similar level of performance at 1080 (~10 fps), with OS (w10 pro), keyboard (standard), mouse (logitech g502), headphones (steelseries siberia v2) and 27" [email protected] vdu. 

All for ~$1600. You save yourself ~$650, have a fit for purpose unit and everything you need to get going. 

As I wrote, premium high end build.

If you have $2k to spend, I would not cheap out. Sure you can make a budget build for a lot less, but that is not what I was going for.

 

Things you suggested are terrible btw, you clearly never used a 27inch 1080p screen to begin with, and suggesting 60hz in 2017.. oh my. Windows 10 PRO? Are you having a laugh? Home edition is half the price and makes no difference to an average user. Logitech g502 is an average mouse and is completely overpriced (how you managed to mention this exact model while talking about budget is beyond me). Those Steelseries headphones are one of the shittiest you could find for that money as well.

 

 

If you need a complete system, with keyboard, mouse, headphones and OS leave a comment with your exact desires, we'll help you.

 

 

Edited by SHO-SHIN
cleaned up post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 2017-5-13 at 1:24 PM, MrOcto said:

As I wrote, premium high end build.

If you have $2k to spend, I would not cheap out. Sure you can make a budget build for a lot less, but that is not what I was going for.

 

Things you suggested are terrible btw, you clearly never used a 27inch 1080p screen to begin with, and suggesting 60hz in 2017.. oh my. Windows 10 PRO? Are you having a laugh? Home edition is half the price and makes no difference to an average user. Logitech g502 is an average mouse and is completely overpriced (how you managed to mention this exact model while talking about budget is beyond me). Those Steelseries headphones are one of the shittiest you could find for that money as well.

 

OP, please don't listen to this guy, he hasn't got a clue.

If you need a complete system, with keyboard, mouse, headphones and OS leave a comment with your exact desires, we'll help you.

I do this for a living, I build ~3 high end systems per week and sell a lot more budget friendly builds as well.

 


"I would not cheap out". Are you fourteen? "...you can make a budget build for less, but that is not what I was going for". You recommend the components that meet the clients needs. "that includes a gaming monitor. You most likely won't even hear the thing run." Yeah, I don't remember him mentioning noise being an issue. You've suggested so many unnecessary components without even explaining or offering an explanation of what they are. You're not here to help, you're here to flaunt your *ahem* "knowledge".

By cutting the unnecessary hardware and making adjustments to your components, you could get a build centred around a 1080ti, and 4k and achieve greater gaming performance still less than the price you offered. This demonstrates just how little you know about building for purpose. Your grabbing components like supermarket sweep until you hit the budget cap is not going to help anyone.

 

Excellent conjecture by the way, actually, I've never used any monitor before. I play games on a stone tablet by carving each successive frame with my finger nails. I never suggested that he purchase those, I was simply demonstrating how off the mark yours was. Must I dismantle your exhausting diatribe regarding peripheral selection? I selected several very commonly chosen peripherals that a gamer would buy, I wasn't asked to recommend a mouse, keyboard or headphones, I factored in a reasonable cost projection. I have already offered him my suggestions, he has illicit no desire to build his own computer so will likely be purchasing a pre-built system. Did you recognise that in your eagerness to window shop with other people's money? I chose W10 Pro because I always use Pro, you're absolutely right that he can save a bit (certainly not anywhere near 50% where the hell are you buying your OEM Windows keys) more money by not using it, as with the peripherals I factored in a reasonable projection of cost. The details get fleshed out when the base unit is considered, I only mentioned peripherals to remind you that he said $1-2k, not $2k+you'll need to get a keyboard, mouse, OS, some speakers or headphones and something to transfer the OS. 

 




 

Edited by SHO-SHIN
cleaned up post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 2017-5-13 at 3:21 PM, DigitalMe said:


"I would not cheap out". Are you fourteen? "...you can make a budget build for less, but that is not what I was going for". You recommend the components that meet the clients needs. "that includes a gaming monitor. You most likely won't even hear the thing run." Yeah, I don't remember him mentioning noise being an issue. You've suggested so many unnecessary components without even explaining or offering an explanation of what they are. You're not here to help, you're here to flaunt your *ahem* "knowledge".

By cutting the unnecessary hardware and making adjustments to your components, you could get a build centred around a 1080ti, and 4k and achieve greater gaming performance still less than the price you offered. This demonstrates just how little you know about building for purpose. Your grabbing components like supermarket sweep until you hit the budget cap is not going to help anyone.

 

Excellent conjecture by the way, actually, I've never used any monitor before. I play games on a stone tablet by carving each successive frame with my finger nails. I never suggested that he purchase those, I was simply demonstrating how off the mark yours was. Must I dismantle your exhausting diatribe regarding peripheral selection? I selected several very commonly chosen peripherals that a gamer would buy, I wasn't asked to recommend a mouse, keyboard or headphones, I factored in a reasonable cost projection. I have already offered him my suggestions, he has illicit no desire to build his own computer so will likely be purchasing a pre-built system. Did you recognise that in your eagerness to window shop with other people's money? I chose W10 Pro because I always use Pro, you're absolutely right that he can save a bit (certainly not anywhere near 50% where the hell are you buying your OEM Windows keys) more money by not using it, as with the peripherals I factored in a reasonable projection of cost. The details get fleshed out when the base unit is considered, I only mentioned peripherals to remind you that he said $1-2k, not $2k+you'll need to get a keyboard, mouse, OS, some speakers or headphones and something to transfer the OS. 

 

I wouldn't hire you to clean my computer, let alone build it. If people actually pay you, I feel sorry for anyone you are ripping off. I'm not sure whether you genuinely believe ~3 systems is actually impressive but, it's not.  Please don't labour them with your petty credentials, unless you're servicing at least 3x as many clients per day, nobody is interested.


 

Sigh...

You obviously don't understand the word premium. Also asking if someone is fourteen is a direct indicator that you yourself are a child, if not in age then in mind.

Building around a 1080ti and 4K AND achieving greater gaming performance? Again, you probably never played on a 4K 60hz monitor beside a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Try to use more fancy words in hopes you'll actually be taken seriously. OEM keys.. holy sh*t, ever heard of FPP, which is the ONLY way to go if you're building yourself?

Did you even check your link for Newegg? Maximus IX Hero board!? Are you stupid? And you preach about recommending the components that meet the clients needs? Deluded. Add both the 1080 and the monitor I linked and you'll be at 1,8k with a inferior CPU... replace it with that i7 and you still have an inferior cooler, inferior storage, inferior PSU, inferior RAM, even an inferior case... with costing almost as much... must I go on?

 

 

 

Edited by SHO-SHIN
cleaned up post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some neckbeard responses in this topic lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I REALLY appreciate the help guys, I didnt mean to start any kind of rift (lol), but I mainly am just interested in getting a tower as I will piece the rest together. As an experienced gamer in this genre I know what works best for me keyboard, mouse, etc etc......

 

Also $1-2K (fall somewhere in the middle preferably) is all I really care to spend which I feel should be sufficient for what I wan to use it for, I am not techy at all as far as builds go so I do need it already assembled. I will always leave room for an upgrade.....

 

Thank you ALL again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys should get together and do a youtube channel, call it PC builder wars, who can build the best and cheapest PC for your budget.  :) Argue every component, every retailer, every FPS gain for your buck.  It would be seen by millions, you would both be rich beyond words!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now