RipGroove

5.0GHz 7700k & 1080ti Hybrid = 56fps @ Gorodok (Empty)

GTA V is a lot of fun and you can really push your hardware and make it look beautiful.

I already have GTAV and can pretty much max it out at 150fps so I might start the story mode over again as I've already completed it once.

I like horror/mystery/puzzle type games so maybe a change of pace is in order. I freaing love Squad though so it's really frustrating that I can only play certain maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

I already have GTAV and can pretty much max it out at 150fps so I might start the story mode over again as I've already completed it once.

I like horror/mystery/puzzle type games so maybe a change of pace is in order. I freaing love Squad though so it's really frustrating that I can only play certain maps.

GTA V is a pretty good test.

How about Resident Evil 7 if you like horror? It's on Steam so a refund if it's not your cup of tea and under 2hrs play.

GTA V is a pretty good test.

How about Resident Evil 7 if you like horror? It's on Steam so a refund if it's not your cup of tea and under 2hrs play.

Yeah I'll probably go for that TBH. Last one I played was on the PlayStation 1

3 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Wow, getting a Surveyor in to check out your PC won't be cheap. Sho-Shin was going to help you out for free. xD

I didn't say free............there's always a price. LOL

Very quick test as I had literally 5 mins:

All in game graphics settings to Epic (no AA or SS), Gorodok v2

57fps @ 20ms

All in game graphics settings to Low

76fps @ 14ms

So not much a difference really.

Posted (edited)

Are you OC'd your CPU right, to Squad? Squad is one of the rare games what use AVX instructions. IF your CPU is 5.0Ghz and yours AVX ratio is -6, then your AVX-commands runs only 4.4Ghz and game works then like a CPU are 4.4Ghz.

Game engine doesnt use it ALL time, maybe 50% of time, if so, yours CPU:s speed is with AVX commands (~50% time) 4.4Ghz and without AVX (another ~50% of time) > CPU 5.0Ghz.

When AVX is active (software supports it) it makes CPU a lot more wattage hungry  > more heat. Air cooling maybe 10-20C+ more temp.

My 7700K is 5.4Ghz and AVX ratio -2, so i have 5200Mhz(with AVX) or 5400Mhz on Squad. I had some time also AVX -0, so then my CPU was all time 5400Mhz on Squad.

Squad also uses a couple of cores powerfull, so ram bandwidth is also hard on Squad (like an Arma2+3), more ram speed > more CPU can push data to GPU without that ram speed is bottlenecking link between CPU > GPU.

Online game is much much much harder to Cpu+Ram becouse then they calculate all that physics/multiple players+vehicles/close-up-explosions, all what Firing Range doesnt show properly/heavy...

Intel Skylake's AVX ratio is solid/fixed, it cant be change, its always at same speed than CPU.

Intel Kaby Lake (Z270 chipset motherboard) it can be changed.

Edited by Hiikeri

Are you OC'd your CPU right, to Squad? Squad is one of the rare games what use AVX instructions. IF your CPU is 5.0Ghz and yours AVX ratio is -6, then your AVX-commands runs only 4.4Ghz and game works then like a CPU are 4.4Ghz.

Game engine doesnt use it ALL time, maybe 50% of time, if so, yours CPU:s speed is with AVX commands (~50% time) 4.4Ghz and without AVX (another ~50% of time) > CPU 5.0Ghz.

When AVX is active (software supports it) it makes CPU a lot more wattage hungry  > more heat. Air cooling maybe 10-20C+ more temp.

My 7700K is 5.4Ghz and AVX ratio -2, so i have 5200Mhz(with AVX) or 5400Mhz on Squad. I had some time also AVX -0, so then my CPU was all time 5400Mhz on Squad.

Squad also uses a couple of cores powerfull, so ram bandwidth is also hard on Squad (like an Arma2+3), more ram speed > more CPU can push data to GPU without that ram speed is bottlenecking link between CPU > GPU.

Online game is much much much harder to Cpu+Ram becouse then they calculate all that physics/multiple players+vehicles/close-up-explosions, all what Firing Range doesnt show properly/heavy...

Intel Skylake's AVX ratio is solid/fixed, it cant be change, its always at same speed than CPU.

Intel Kaby Lake (Z270 chipset motherboard) it can be changed.

Good info, I believe I do not have an AVX offset set (Z270 motherboard) so it should be 5.0GHz all the time with Squad.

I will test with no overclock and Hyperthreading ON.

My RAM is running at 3000MHz

Thanks for the info.

With my OC profile set to default (no overclock and HT ON) and in the same in environment as before it's no better:

58FPS @ 17.22ms

Frame: 17.21ms

Game: 4.94ms

Draw: 8.18ms

GPU: 17.29ms

And it scores 21,139 on Firestrike, not a great improvement considering Hyperthreading is now ON. But then it was running 4.5GHz and not 5.0GHz as before so that's probably what that's about.

This is just a joke now, with stock CPU clocks (so no overclock messing things up and HT is ON) and a 1080ti Hybrid I'm getting like 17-20ms draw times and 50-60fps on most maps with 60% GPU useage. Low or Epic graphics settings make almost no difference. CPU is also only reaching 56°C while playing.

I may have managed an improvement by going into PrecisionX and enabling K-Boost, setting the target temp to MAX and setting the fan profile to Aggressive. It's got my draw time down to 12.xx with an FPS of 75 on Gorodok v2. It's still nowhere near what it should be but it's something I guess.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Low or Epic graphics settings make almost no difference. CPU is also only reaching 56°C while playing.

I say its something CPU issue then there. Some motherboards AVX preset is AUTO, then AVX is only 45x (4500Mhz). Players FPS also depends server quality, i mean how powerfull PC is running a game.

You should use example HWiNFO + RTSS to see what are your current CPU usage and other info when you are in game.

I just put my AVX ratio (0), so my AVX is also 5400Mhz. I have only 2560x1440 monitor, but details EPIC + Effects: Cinematic + Full Texture Loading: ON. AA full (EPIC default) and Super Sampling 0x.

Gorodok 75/78 players, 80-140fps. Average at the taking a picture, after 10min+ playing: 97fps.

2hyvyfr.jpg

GPU mem usage was ~10Gb. :ph34r:

- Are you Steam verified game files?

- After last Squad update Setting > Game Settings > CLEAR USER DATA (< this MUST be done after every Squad update devs say).

Edited by Hiikeri

I say its something CPU issue then there. Some motherboards AVX preset is AUTO, then AVX is only 45x (4500Mhz). Players FPS also depends server quality, i mean how powerfull PC is running a game.

You should use example HWiNFO + RTSS to see what are your current CPU usage and other info when you are in game.

I just put my AVX ratio (0), so my AVX is also 5400Mhz. I have only 2560x1440 monitor, but details EPIC + Effects: Cinematic + Full Texture Loading: ON. AA full (EPIC default) and Super Sampling 0x.

Gorodok 75/78 players, 80-140fps. Average at the taking a picture, after 10min+ playing: 97fps.

2hyvyfr.jpg

GPU mem usage was ~10Gb. 

- Are you Steam verified game files?

- After last Squad update Setting > Game Settings > CLEAR USER DATA (

Thanks I'll go double check my AVX offset setting in BIOS. CPU-Z shows 4500Mhz though while playing.

My AVX offset is definitely set to zero.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RipGroove said:

CPU-Z shows 4500Mhz though while playing.

Something then there causes CPU speed drops.

- All cores ratio isnt fixed

- Speedstep is on

- Protections drops cpu speed (over temp)

- Windows powerplan is max performance?

Try also AVX ratio -1, on 5Ghz Cpu its then 4.9 AVX.

Edited by Hiikeri

4500mhz is stock speed so that's ok with no overclock. I put it everything back to default to rule out my overclock as being the problem.

Windows power settings are already set to performance mode.

CPU temp is OK while gaming as I have NZXT Kraken cooler.

Have you tried windowed or boarderless? 

Have you tried windowed or boarderless? 

Yeah, makes absolutely zero difference at all.

OK I've been playing with graphics settings as you guys suggested and the single setting that has the most impact is:

Full texture loading On/Off

I'm loosing 30fps at least with it ON even though I have 16GB RAM and 11GB VRAM??!!

So for example this means if I find a real dense corn field or something really taxing on resources the difference with texture loading on and off can be 45-60fps or 75-110fps with the latter being much more playable. (This is still in an empty server though).

If I easily meet the specs for full texture loading, why is it being such a resource hog? Some setting I'm missing in Windows?

Anyway, I need to keep testing but I'm all tested out for today. I'm 100% sure I already ruled out texture loading but I have bought a new GPU since then so that could be a factor maybe. I'll keep on testing things as and when.

It's still not the 120FPS that others are getting with similar hardware but at least it's more playable.

Re full texture loading on I recall testing a little when the feature was added and didn't note much of an FPS change so i have just kept it on.

In 4K, I have noticed a bit more stutter over the last couple of weeks and as you say the VRAM use can go real high, up to 10.8GB with me. 

We did think it may have been an issue with your old 980ti 6GB VRAM card I recall but ruled it out. Obviously the numbers say it should be fine, if it was an issue with your new 1080ti at 11GB VRAM.

But this is worth exploring as it's a newer feature and a demanding one at that.

I played a couple of rounds last night, and just to test run everything at 2K and I have to say, zero stuttering happened and I was specifically looking out for that. Could it be the GPU bandwidth demands at 4K are simply to much at times in the game for it to run super smooth irrelevant of VRAM pool available?

I dont know do the Squad use any nVidia PhysX components?

Do you have PhysX installed via GPU driver?

Still i suggest re-install GPU drivers, dont use DDU, just overwrite with a new installion.

Re full texture loading on I recall testing a little when the feature was added and didn't note much of an FPS change so i have just kept it on.

In 4K, I have noticed a bit more stutter over the last couple of weeks and as you say the VRAM use can go real high, up to 10.8GB with me. 

We did think it may have been an issue with your old 980ti 6GB VRAM card I recall but ruled it out. Obviously the numbers say it should be fine, if it was an issue with your new 1080ti at 11GB VRAM.

But this is worth exploring as it's a newer feature and a demanding one at that.

I played a couple of rounds last night, and just to test run everything at 2K and I have to say, zero stuttering happened and I was specifically looking out for that. Could it be the GPU bandwidth demands at 4K are simply to much at times in the game for it to run super smooth irrelevant of VRAM pool available?

That's something I've actually kept to myself throughout this as to not over complicate things, I get quite a bit of stuttering, it's like micro rubber banding, like my ping is bad, even when I have a ping of just 30...

I need to monitor VRAM use, does PrecisionX do that I can't recall? Or do I have to install Afterburner as well?

I dont know do the Squad use any nVidia PhysX components?

Do you have PhysX installed via GPU driver?

Still i suggest re-install GPU drivers, dont use DDU, just overwrite with a new installion.

Currently Physx is set to Auto. I did a clean GPU driver install just a few days ago.

re Physx I used to run it off the GPU, then changed to CPU, then Auto (as I VR alot).

I didn't really notice any meaningful difference in stability or FPS delivered, but both systems I tested were pretty powerful.

@RipGroove def install MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner mate - I have always used this program and it is great to live display all the basic stuff in the corner, also allows you to limit FPS which is great for testing stuff.

re Physx I used to run it off the GPU, then changed to CPU, then Auto (as I VR alot).

I didn't really notice any meaningful difference in stability or FPS delivered, but both systems I tested were pretty powerful.

@RipGroove def install MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner mate - I have always used this program and it is great to live display all the basic stuff in the corner, also allows you to limit FPS which is great for testing stuff.

OK cool I'll have a look. I never like too many programs trying to control my GPU though.

understood, it doesn't have to control anything, just use the Riva tuner display tool to show all CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM numbers live on screen in game, and limit fPS as required.

Personally i do use it to control GPU stuff, it's great.

understood, it doesn't have to control anything, just use the Riva tuner display tool to show all CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM numbers live on screen in game, and limit fPS as required.

Personally i do use it to control GPU stuff, it's great.

OK I'll have a look, will it try to control GPU as standard when install it?

2 hours ago, RipGroove said:

OK I'll have a look, will it try to control GPU as standard when install it?

MSI Afterburner will just give a GUI to make adjustments if you wish. Riva Tuner (downloads with afterburner) is the bit to control FPS per application or globally.

You essentially tick what you want shown as a layer in game, and it shows it constantly.