Sign in to follow this  
Northrop

Compass In The Game

It might be more realistic, but I really dont like it personally and I dont see it changing a lot to the overall feel and gameplay. I really like the little compas in the UI.

I prefer how PR:bf2 did it, i find when playing with less tactically experienced players in arma/dayz, they tend to say "enemy 11 o clock" while we are both looking different directions/away from eachother, likely due to the numbers being small or confusing for someone who doesnt know how to read a compass. That is, if they even use their compass.

There has been exhaustive discussions on this in FPS games for over a decade, 

one of the ways to replace the loss of non-visual situational awareness is to provide a compass like in PR on the bottom of the screen.

It's become an industry standard because it is the best practice.

Don't get me wrong, I own 5 compasses in my own backpacking/kayaking gear closet, I just can't see them Arma style compass working for our game.

I also own topographic maps for my hikes/trips and hope topo maps make it into the game, but the cartography discussion is in two other threads, one on topographic maps and another on the grid system, so keep the discussions separate for now, even as they are very much viewed as a whole by the Dev team.

They already had some type of compass and degrees on the bottom of their video, i though it was already good like that.

It would increase the times people say stuff like: "he's on the left side" or "im on the other side of that" because using the compass would be clumsy. Even with the current PR compass people tend to barely be able to call out directions propery, this could make it even harder (especially with a lot of new people withour PR/ARMA experience).