Socrates

Bring Back the Old Smaller Gorodok Map

Posted (edited)

From my many months playing this game now, I can say that Gorodok, at its current 4k map size, in general, is not a strategically playable map given the current max player size of 80. (That goes for many public matches.)

To simply put it, the map is too big to coordinate effective strategies among squads. The squads have to be sent to two ends of the map. A squad may ask for help saying "I need backup at Lumberyard". The other squad will just respond "Uh.. sorry man, my squad's at the other end of the map. Good luck".

This map is better played if we can support 100 players minimum (probably with helicopters too), not at 80 players maximum.

I propose that for the time being, we temporarily bring back the older and smaller version of Gorodok to compensate for this problem. 

The current 4k Gorodok map should still be available to add to map rotations though. But I think Gorodok's old glory will be revived with the return of this map since 80 players will play just fine on this map with the current vehicles.

Edited by Socrates

I didn't like it when they moved the flags closer to each other with 9.4 because I liked how flexible the map was. I could agree that the old layout was too confusing but instead of moving the flags closer to each other, simply reducing the flag amount and still utilizing all of the map at the same time is very much possible I believe. I am hoping the same for the Kohat.

4x4 maps with more than half of available zones being wasted bring tears to my eyes. 

walking on large gorodok is a toss up between leaving the server and leaving autowalk on while finding something else to do.

If your SL wont make efforts to provide vehicles on the giant maps it is time for a new squad.

An alternative is 2 suicides (or murders) :P

"Spawn at main to get a vehicle please"

"OK, when I die"

BANG! BANG!

On 5/9/2017 at 11:43 PM, Socrates said:

From my many months playing this game now, I can say that Gorodok, at its current 4k map size, in general, is not a strategically playable map given the current max player size of 80. (That goes for many public matches.)

To simply put it, the map is too big to coordinate effective strategies among squads. The squads have to be sent to two ends of the map. A squad may ask for help saying "I need backup at Lumberyard". The other squad will just respond "Uh.. sorry man, my squad's at the other end of the map. Good luck".

This map is better played if we can support 100 players minimum (probably with helicopters too), not at 80 players maximum.

I propose that for the time being, we temporarily bring back the older and smaller version of Gorodok to compensate for this problem. 

The current 4k Gorodok map should still be available to add to map rotations though. But I think Gorodok's old glory will be revived with the return of this map since 80 players will play just fine on this map with the current vehicles.

What this map needs is triple the vehicles and it would be fine.

I honestly dont mind this map size i enjoy the need for not running and gunning your troops and trying to actually out think your enemy. you can always keep logis running to make sure you have spawn points and on the flip side you can cut off enemy logis to not allow them to harden a point or have the ability to place fobs carelessly. however some servers dont allow you to use these tactics so i can understand how this could be a pain but ive never really had any problems with asking for backup normally one squad can hold an objective long enough for a react squad to come back you up or you just focus your efforts on attacking until you cant push on one side then you move your troops and vics to push back against the enemy force after coming to a stop. you just need to remain flexible in the battlefield because nothing will go as planned.  

15 minutes ago, FeatherSton3 said:

Is there an area on the fourms/wiki where we can see what the layout of the old map versions look like? 

It's on the normal website in the updates I believe.

Posted (edited)

Bring back the more recent one that got deleted instead. The AAS with Lumber Yard. That was my jam.
Also OP is a notorious superFOBBER, he wouldnt know what squad coordination is.
PS: Why would you ever walk on a map like Gorodok? Theres more than enough vehicles available.

Edited by Peerun

Gorodok is one of the most strategic maps there is. Just because we can't be on a cap in 30 seconds to reinforce if pressure is on, doesn't mean it lacks strategy. With Gorodok, you need all SL's on the same page with a set plan. You need logistics up and running settings FOBs/Habs down. You need transport available to move to other caps so you can attack or defend and you need to play smart with your vehicles.

Gorodok tests communication, strategy and testing peoples use of vehicles. You waste assets, you get to play running simulator. If you support your vehicles and make smart engagements and know when to disengage, you get to have a ride.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Peerun said:

Bring back the more recent one that got deleted instead. The AAS with Lumber Yard. That was my jam.
Also OP is a notorious superFOBBER, he wouldnt know what squad coordination is.
PS: Why would you ever walk on a map like Gorodok? Theres more than enough vehicles available.

I do know what squad coordination is lol. Just stick to the topic at hand instead of trying to attack the person. You know better than that.

Edited by Socrates

The topic at hand is that you are a strong advocate of shrinking maps. If I am not wrong, you were the person who started the whole move to get rid of that lovely Gorodok layer, with Lumberyard and I just can not forgive that.

Please don't make small maps, big maps are the #1 reason this game is great. If I wanted constant non stop action I would just play Call of Duty.

I enjoy both the old smaller versions and the new 4k map versions, but i do think these new large maps need 100 player servers to add a bit more to it, but that will take time i'm sure.