Alright guys, 

I'm thinking about using my 1080 as a second screen and move on with time and get a 1440 since i got a 1070 recently.
But the only thing i'm kind of stuck at is, is there really a noticeable difference between 60hz vs more then 60hz refresh rate ?. 
Here in EU, you pay easly 700/800$ for a 1440 144hz monitor. And i can't afford to spend rent money on a screen....

So im kind of stuck at 1440/60hz. Who uses one ?, and what is your expierience on regular use and gaming wise.

I would say 1440p, 60Hz is great for Squad mate. unless you got serious PC horsepower you wont see a major benefit of 144Hz at all.

Hi there, I use a 980 TI Hybrid, an OC i7-4790K and an Asus pg279q which has a high refresh rate (144-165hz) at 1440p.  If you choose to go this route, for Squad the technology that makes the biggest different is the variable adaptive sync technology - G-sync (or free sync for AMD). The higher refresh rate is nice, but you won't typically be pulling more than 80-90 frames in Squad at 1440p with a 1070. The good news is that most monitors that include Gsync also have a high refresh rate.

If you're willing to spend $$$ on the monitor, I would prioritize G-sync/Freesync over the higher refresh rate, unless you play a number of Source games or older games where higher frame rates are more likely/necessary. In addition, TN panels tend to be cheaper than IPS panels, but have tradeoffs. 

For example, this monitor would be a good choice at 1440p. Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC

It is a TN panel (so viewing angle / color not as good) but it also has a 144hz refresh rate.  Hope that helps!

Only got a budget of 350€ lul, i'm not too rich. My current rig is 4670k @3,9ghz stable + 1070 G1 + 16 gigz of ram

Why not go 1080 144hz with G-Sync instead,  should be able to find one around your price range now and if stepping up from 1080 at 60hz it will be a massive improvement. Stuttering is a thing of the past and best of all being 1080 gives max fps across every game. I dont have time to admire how pretty a game looks.  

58 minutes ago, marvin187 said:

is 6700k and 98oti serious horsepower anymore at 144hz 1440p rog swift?

it's a powerful rig of course, very dependant on the CPU speed and the graphical settings selected re the fps delivered in Squad.

i.e let''s say you can maintain 80fps in Squad, is that much of an improvement over 60fps? It is some improvement of course but far off the full 144Hz experience is kinda my point.

34 minutes ago, -MG said:

Only got a budget of 350€ lul, i'm not too rich. My current rig is 4670k @3,9ghz stable + 1070 G1 + 16 gigz of ram

Your CPU isn't going to have enough speed to feed fully 144Hz in Squad at 1440p for sure, it will be miles off.

so 1080p @144hz vs 1440 60hz. Though call to make i guess....kinda lost here on what would be money best spend.

1 hour ago, -MG said:

so 1080p @144hz vs 1440 60hz. Though call to make i guess....kinda lost here on what would be money best spend.

Way to test, fire up Squad and type in stat FPS to show the frames.

The adjust all graphical settings to low or off and see what frames you get.

Then you will know what your system is capable of in 1080p etc.

The jump to 1440p will cost between 10-20fps over 1080p (at same settings) dependant on a number of factors, but I really think your 4670K will not deliver anywhere near 144Hz on a full Squad server, whatever resolution and settings you play at.

1 hour ago, -MG said:

With your budget, I would not recommend moving to 1440p, since Squad performance is the principal consideration.  A 1080p G-Sync monitor sounds like a much better fit.

1080p 144hz with g-sync would be money well spent I think, you will get a much better game quality that way over more pixels. Monitors are cheaper and it still looks great on 1080p. 

Wel i'm stuck, 2560*1440 falls in my price range but will be an issue apparently due my CPU.

1080p with G sync will cost about 25% more then i can spend.

I'm stuck, looks like there isn't much i can do really. And i'mnot really interested to upgrade my current rig as i'm waiting to see what intel will bring with their coffee/canonlake CPU's. 

G-Sync is great and all but not worth the money, especially knowing Nvidia could offer it for free but choose to be greedy instead. If you don't have it you don't know what you're missing anyway. If you can't afford it now just wait and buy a 144Hz 1440p monitor later. Check out tftcentral for in-depth reviews.

Edited by banOkay

As someone with a 1440p 144hz monitor, don't do it for squad. Otherwise you'll turn into a beast like me that spends way too much money on maxing out the GPU and CPU and overclocking the hell out of them trying to take advantage of the more than 60hz but being disappointed every time squad wants to run at below 60 with 30% usage on the GPU... for games other than Squad, it's absolutely fantastic, though still I have trouble getting most games to max out even with an overclocked 4790K and an overclocked GTX 1080. Even Rocket League on max settings will dip below 144fps sometimes. So it's up to you.

On 2017-5-9 at 2:58 PM, -MG said:

ok all things considered,

If you had to choose between the following:

1. 24inch screen, 1080p, say 70fps plus constant in Squad

or

2. 27 inch screen, 1440p, say 45fps plus constant in Squad

I would take option 2 every day of the week for Squad.

On 2017-5-10 at 0:31 AM, ZachTheGunner said:

As someone with a 1440p 144hz monitor, don't do it for squad. Otherwise you'll turn into a beast like me that spends way too much money on maxing out the GPU and CPU and overclocking the hell out of them trying to take advantage of the more than 60hz but being disappointed every time squad wants to run at below 60 with 30% usage on the GPU... for games other than Squad, it's absolutely fantastic, though still I have trouble getting most games to max out even with an overclocked 4790K and an overclocked GTX 1080. Even Rocket League on max settings will dip below 144fps sometimes. So it's up to you.

This ^ 100%. Don't base your decision on Squad alone right now. It still has a way to go in development. That's not to say it's going to allow celeron+gtx750 to able to pull 144fps @ 4k.

Remember at 1080p on a large screen 24"+ you'll probably want some form of AA on and that will cost you fps. On 1440 you might get away with turning AA off. If you do any testing bare that in mind.

6 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

ok all things considered,

If you had to choose between the following:

1. 24inch screen, 1080p, say 70fps plus constant in Squad

or

2. 27 inch screen, 1440p, say 45fps plus constant in Squad

I would take option 2 every day of the week for Squad.

I would like to upgrade to 1440 tho'....but apparently my CPU seems the culprit and i'm gonna wait to upgrade my rig by the end of this year when i can make a decision between intel's latest cpu's or Ryzen. 

Imagin a infiit cable GPU in rendering any resolutions has zero impact on performance, so you do you have to decide between(ugly) FHD chocking or 4K ( pretty) chocking caused by CPU and memory/cache bandwith.

Currrently you looking for highest singel core IPC & clock possible ( to call out a number here in forums is a guy with a kompressor cooled 7700K with 5,4 ghz and even he cant benifit fully from high refresh screens on full servers)

In squad& UE4 Engins current state its nutz to thow expensive hardware on them, yeah it can work now and maybe also in future but it`s not logical to buy Hardware for a product you don`t know its final specs and behaivior

8 hours ago, -MG said:

I would like to upgrade to 1440 tho'....but apparently my CPU seems the culprit and i'm gonna wait to upgrade my rig by the end of this year when i can make a decision between intel's latest cpu's or Ryzen. 

fair enough MG and nice playing briefly with you earlier mate

51 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

fair enough MG and nice playing briefly with you earlier mate

Was good fun,Mr. Now you see me, now you don't :D

Edited by -MG

On 09/05/2017 at 3:11 PM, -MG said:

Alright guys, 

I'm thinking about using my 1080 as a second screen and move on with time and get a 1440 since i got a 1070 recently.
But the only thing i'm kind of stuck at is, is there really a noticeable difference between 60hz vs more then 60hz refresh rate ?. 
Here in EU, you pay easly 700/800$ for a 1440 144hz monitor. And i can't afford to spend rent money on a screen....

So im kind of stuck at 1440/60hz. Who uses one ?, and what is your expierience on regular use and gaming wise.

1440p 60Hz will be very slow even compared to 1080p 60 Hz. Don't buy it.

It's not about Hz of your monitor. It's about motion to photon latency(yeah, go google it):

http://www.chioka.in/what-is-motion-to-photon-latency/

If you care about speed of your monitor at all, you want to stick to 1080p.

Edited by Skul

I am playing with GTX1070 and 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and i should say that, with adaptive sync it works allright with only minor hickups.

I expect performance to get better with time but even like that it's nowhere near "unplayable"

Difference between 144 and 60 hz is very noticable even on desktop activity, simple mouse cursor moving is a big difference. But i do run i7 6700k as well.

Edited by Josip Tito