RoBroCop

Help me choose a monitor.

Depends on what games you play. Normally I'd recommend something with a high refresh rate, but if all you play is Squad and ArmA and stuff like that, it seems you can never max out the monitor. I can't wait for the day I can run Squad at over 100FPS minimum but I don't know if it will ever be optimized that much. So if you play mostly Squad and other large scale tactical shooters, I'd recommend a 60hz but 1440p or higher monitor. If you play a lot of games that are easy to run like CSGO or rocket league, 144hz is absolutely amazing, though you'll start to hate it when you play a game that can't run that fast. So really it depends on what you play. As for actual monitor recommendations, I don't have any specific ones. If I was going to recommend a monitor just for Squad, it would be one that I don't own.

My current monitor that I love is a BenQ XL2730Z which I bought for $500 and it runs at 1440p 144hz, though it appears it has been discontinued. So other than what I wrote before, I don't have much I can help you with.

I agree that it really depends. I have tried multiple setups, from 3x1080p monitors, to a single 4K monitor, to a curved 21:9 setup. I, personally, have come to the conclusion that I like the single Ultrawide as the best of both worlds between a higher resolution and a wider viewport. It means I only have to use one input cable from the PC, and only a single power cable. Triple monitor setups can get messy with cabling. I've felt the 21:9 setup is pretty good for both FPS games and Flight Sims like DCS.

I will say, getting a higher refresh rate monitor is never a bad idea, you can generally feel the smoothness (given you configure windows to use the higher refresh rates).

Here's the 21:9 monitor I picked up (on sale right at $500): http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC79G-B-ultrawide-monitor

Here is the 1080p monitors I used: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160177&cm_re=1080p_monitor_144hz-_-24-160-177-_-Product

And I forgot the 4K... I think it was a cheap 60Hz Samsung.

Not sure 4K is really worth it compared to the other two setups. A single 1080p is also perfectly fine, but I would recommend at least a 120-144hz monitor for a single monitor setup. Finally, with your specs, you should have no problems running any of the various aspect ratios or resolutions; you just need to find one that fits you.

Long story short, currently in love with 21:9 Ultrawides:

WS8PVed.jpg

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

First figure out what size monitor that your going for  inchs" then find the resolution that you want to play at. This should give you some choice. Is it frees or g sync dp ending  on your gfx. That should get you going.

6 hours ago, RoBroCop said:

I posted this on the PR forums, but I figured I'd try here as well.

So I bought this PC recently:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/470342/codex_x-032us_desktop_computer

I cant help but feel like I need a better monitor to keep up with it. Can anyone recommend one? I value quality over size and Id like to keep it under $500.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Is this a good computer?

Looks like a good computer. 6700k is strong for gaming, 16gb of ddr is just what you need, SSD for system + a couple of games and HDD for data is usually the way to go... and the 1070 is a very good card (i got one, love it). Nothing much to say.

For the monitor, 144hz is a clear plus (even if you can't max it in my opinion), and gsync sound great... but it's also more expensive.

Gaming IPS panels looks great, but they're very expensive and there is a lot of horror story about them (dead pixel / dust / light bleed), for the moment I'd rather go with a good / great TN panel. Dell got two interesting one - 2417DG (165hz, QHD in a 24' panel - ok, a bit weird - gsync, ~370€$) or the 2717dg (QHD in a 27' panel, 144hz, gsync, ~540$), both with good color out of the box for a gaming monitor and low response time... i'm thinking of buying one, but i just changed my CPU+MB+Ram and my wallet isn't very happy about it :o

Edited by Ouiche

Check LG 29 inch ultrawide monitor its 60Hz but u can simply OC it to 75Hz its not much but u can feel a bit defference. I've had also dilema between 24, 27 and 29 and one thing i can say, that my next monitor will be 34 inch :D. Its awesome for daily working, movies and games if youre not a type of a hardcore ;). Ah, price is also big plus, its something about 300$ so 200$ left for something else.

Gsync is worth the extra cost. No tearing and everything's so smooth. 

On 5/8/2017 at 4:13 PM, DoctorKamikaze said:

WS8PVed.jpg

How can you play like this? If my monitor is not in front of me it just feels weird. 

Also, Ive got a BENQ XL2411Z and Im very happy with it. I bought it for the CSGO, for the sweet 144hz. Worth the price. 

14 hours ago, MINTY said:

How can you play like this? If my monitor is not in front of me it just feels weird. 

Also, Ive got a BENQ XL2411Z and Im very happy with it. I bought it for the CSGO, for the sweet 144hz. Worth the price. 

It's easy, you turn your head ;) 

Plus, it's been updated just a bit with 2 1080p monitors on each side; for the full Sim Pit experience. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

On 08/05/2017 at 4:30 PM, RoBroCop said:

I cant help but feel like I need a better monitor to keep up with it. Can anyone recommend one? I value quality over size and Id like to keep it under $500.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend you to buy the only best monitor in the whole world at the moment. AFAIK.

Here it is:

https://hardforum.com/threads/no-latency-overclockable-up-to-1080p-270hz-monitor-controller-board.1894299/

It is 270 Hz 27" monitor and it's only ~$450 with the fastest LCD(0.7 ms gtg lagency) display on earth. There is literally no reason to buy anything else for gaming except this monitor if your budget more than $400.

And it is true 270Hz monitor unlike all other 240 Hz panels on the market at the moment, which are actually 120 Hz but they just update the same frame 2 times in a row... Meaning this 270 Hz monitor more than 2 times faster than any other monitor on the market at the moment.

22 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Hmmm. 27" 1080p......fine if you don't sit to close to your monitor.

In my opinion 27" 16:9 1080p is the best combination at the moment:

1. Very low response time of LCD display. Everything more than 27" has bigger response time than 21-27" displays.

2. Bigger than 1080p resolutions need more processing and as a result bigger motion to photon latency. And since we're talking about true gaming monitors, it is unacceptable.

3. Smaller than 1080p resolutions are blurry and/or pixelated depending on the setup.

4. Anything smaller than 27" is just small. Everything bigger than 27" is too big, IMHO. I personally tried everything 15-32". 27" is perfect for games like Squad, IMHO.

5. 21:9 monitors have very big response time of LCD display compared to 16:9 analogs and as a result you will find yourself in a disadvantage in firefights even in games like Squad.

Response time very easily tested. You can downclock your monitor to 50 Hz to increase motion to photon latency. And you will feel how it is to play on 21:9, 1440p or 32" monitor. Then switch from 50 Hz to 76 Hz(any 60 Hz monitor can be overclocked to ~75 Hz and some of them even to 90 Hz). And compare this 50 Hz to 76 Hz... Choice is obvious, right? That's why 27" 16:9 1080p and nothing else...

When you play video games, it is very important to have motion to photon latency under 20 ms. And these 21:9, 1440p and 32" monitors usually have motion to photon latency above 20 ms(that 1ms response time they put on their websites and boxes is a lie).

Edited by Skul

Proper 1440p far outweighs any pretend response time issues, just look at the data.

response_8.jpg

5 minutes ago, Skul said:

5. 21:9 monitors have very big response time of LCD display compared to 16:9 analogs and as a result you will find yourself in a disadvantage in firefights even in games like Squad.

Squad isn't just your run of the mill twitch shooter. If you can see your enemy 1st before he sees you have the advantage. 21:9 monitors can give you that extra view angle to spot your enemy. Plus it makes the game so much more immersive on ultrawide. Basically any game where you have expansive environments to play in and are not always engaged in close range combat really benefit from being played in ultrawide. 

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Squad isn't just your run of the mill twitch shooter. If you can see your enemy 1st before he sees you have the advantage. 21:9 monitors can give you that extra view angle to spot your enemy. Plus it makes the game so much more immersive on ultrawide. Basically any game where you have expansive environments to play in and are not always engaged in close range combat really benefit from being played in ultrawide. 

It will be a surprise for you, but you can play at 21:9 resolution on your 16:9 monitor, with all advantages of 16:9 1080p LCD display but without disadvantages listed above which 21:9 LCD displays have.

So if you actually want to play a game on 21:9 resolution, best solution will be to buy 16:9 27" or 32" monitor and play on 21:9 resolution.

21:9 monitors weren't even meant to be gaming monitors(they lie about response times on their web sites and on boxes). They were meant for content creators which work with over9000 windows at the same time simultaneously and for watching movies(a lot of movies in theaters are 21:9).

Also, this:

lpIKIsZ.png

It is so much better than 21:9 monitor: bigger aspect ratio(48:9), bigger FOV, bigger zoom(if you set your FOV to default 90, you will have very big zoom on 3 16:9 monitors compared to one 21:9 or 16:9), no disadvantages of 21:9 displays, no disadvantages of 16:9 displays, only advantages of 16:9 displays. But you will obviously need few 1080's to run Squad without big input lag.

And triple 21:9 setup is just a joke(but it is a nice one). I don't think anyone will want to look behind their shoulders IRL to spot enemies behind their shoulders in-game. Not to mention computing power you need to process that image and motion to photon latency you'll get with that setup...

21:9 and everything above 1080p are for casuals who like to fap on their in-game graphics but never heard of phrases like motion to photon latency or response time of LCD display... And I am completely fine with it. But saying that it has some kind of competitive advantage against a proper-proper 16:9 1080p 27-32" setup is a completely different story.

Edited by Skul

@Skul No sorry we all have our own preferences and for me I don't want/like/need the two extra bezels in my view you get with a 3 monitor set up. It also goes way beyond my peripheral vision and costs so damn much. I am more than happy with my 35" 144hz 2560x1080 4ms Benq XR3501 for £400. By not going to 1440p I've tried to keep the performance up of both monitor and GPU and stay at a reasonable budget. It's a middle ground compromise of performance vs quality (4K) I am very much enjoying.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XR3501-35-Inch-Curved-Monitor/dp/B01068VM52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495715535&sr=8-1&keywords=XR3501#customerReviews

1440 Monitor for SQUAD.

THIS IS MY ULTIMATE ANSWER

Before it/after that yours rig must be contains Gsync/FreeSync monitor and 6700/7700K CPU @at least 4.8Ghz, 16Gb at least 3600Mhz and you will get 70-120fps on full servers.

Graphics quality only depends on yours GPU...

GSync 1070 > Medium...

GSync 1080 > High...

GSync 1080Ti > EPIC

Gsync EPIC + Super Sampling x2.0 needs SLI 1080 or faster...

ALWAYS REMEMBER, CPU > FPS, GPU > DETAILS!!!

Hiikeri is spoken...

Edited by Hiikeri