Peerun

Should the IED remain a tracking device?

Should the IED remain a tracking device?   42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Yes, it should.
    • No, remove that.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
30 posts in this topic

This is going to be discovered sooner or later, so I think it's best to bring it up now when the patch is still fresh.
IEDs show up on map.
You can place IEDs on enemy vehicles and so track their movement.

I don't think this was a purposeful design, but it works that way and allows you to for example place one on an enemy logistics truck and so see where it goes and possibly find enemy FOBs that way, so long as the truck is not destroyed.

I personally think it should stay the way it is, even though it could seem a bit cheesy to some people, if you went to the trouble of sneaking to an enemy logi truck and placing an IED on it and then watching it on your map; the enemy team might aswell go to the trouble of checking if there is an IED on their trucks.

(if this was a concious design decision on part of the developers please lock this thread)

Oh boy that's ingenious. I really don't think that was the devs intention at all. Yes it's cool that it works that way but it's such a big advantage they should really remove it. In fact IEDs don't really need to be marked on the map just mines imho. If they're going to keep 'marked' IEDs then the mark should just remain static at the point of deployment even if on a moving vehicle. No need for the thing to acts as a tracking device for your whole team to see.

But they Had phones with GPS in the ied, so why not

Don't think it's something to worry about , most people will want to use the IED. more than a tracking device. 

1 hour ago, desen said:

3 hours ago, desen said:

Yeah youre gonna have to provide some evidence for that. Wireless ieds are usually detonated by a very basic radio signal. Nothing elaborate or software based.

After a lot of thought, even if the IEDs have phones with GPS in them, I doubt you'd be able to easily track them as insurgents. I think IEDs should have map markers removed entirely anyway, or have the person who places them mark it on the map themselves as a static mark.

Wait what's the death sign with the skull on the map mean?

Yeah youre gonna have to provide some evidence for that. Wireless ieds are usually detonated by a very basic radio signal. Nothing elaborate or software based.

They have Google and 40 Dollars for GPS beacon delivered from Amazon.

Some Guys Put even GPS tracker in Their Weber grills

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

Just now, Socrates said:

Anti-tank mine. It should be added to the loading screen picture, so far i placed 5 mines... and teamkilled two friendly vehicle :-|

Last I checked in life and I could be totally mistaken considering I love to eat crayons but IED stood for Improvised Explosive Device not Improvised Tracking Device. In all seriousness towards the topic that sounds like a bug that needs to be removed. I can see the point some players would have of "I took the time to sneak the IED on so I should reap the reward of doing so", but if that is the case then how does that bode for balancing purposes especially in the INS game mode?

Unless other factions have a similar tracking methodology then it would be an easy call but they don't. Most IEDs are either line of sight command detonated or they are rigged to a timer hoping for a set result but they are not GPS guidance devices. Hopefully it's a simple fix to remove traceable marker and nullify any unbalanced advantage that could be used from the placement system. I would also assume that any placeable not just IEDs can result in the same tracking effect. 

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

Posted (edited)

Mobile phone tracking tracks the current position of a mobile phone even on the move. To locate the phone, it must emit at least the roaming signal to contact the next nearby antenna tower, but the process does not require an active call. GSM localisation is then done by multilateration based on the signal strength to nearby antenna masts.

Whether it's realistic is a non-question. Share your opinion on the gameplay aspect.

Edited by Peerun

Why don't you just have it so the IED updates it's last known position every 30-60sec. That way there's a long enough delay for the insurgents to still have to 'guess' where the IED is if they have lost visual contact and also it gives the US forces a better chance of out manoeuvring them ins without them exactly knowing their position??

Arma 3 wasteland VIP kinda thing. 

To add to a point in my earlier post if the "GPS" effect is to be left in for the IED then a counter should be available for the system.

I would propose signal strength. The further from the user the less accurate the signal until it exceeds tracking range which could be made a short distance of 150m. This would in theory "replicate" cellphone signal tracking and hence could potentially fill in that gap also without making the "GPS" effect an overpowered system used to track things across the entire battle map. 

I however would still prefer to see the system removed entirely, and use other systems down the road for actual Intel gathering and reconnoitering. 

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Fandango831 said:

To add to a point in my earlier post if the "GPS" effect is to be left in for the IED then a counter should be available for the system.

I would propose signal strength. The further from the user the less accurate the signal until it exceeds tracking range which could be made a short distance of 150m.

I like that. Perhaps it could be tied to the FOB, since it's a Radio after all and disapear when near an enemy FOB.
More sauce
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiolocation#Mobile_phones

Edited by Peerun

1 minute ago, Peerun said:

I like that. Perhaps it could be tied to the FOB, since it's a Radio after all and disapear when near an enemy FOB.
More sauce
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiolocation#Mobile_phones

I like that also. Then you get into the idea of jamming nets at FOBs. I'm sure signal corps personnel would be thrilled at the idea of electronic technical systems being brought into play hahaha. Either way distance, tracking, signal strength, and accuracy all have to be taken into account if this "GPS" effect is going to be left in the game for the long haul. Otherwise just chop it out. 

I can't remember any time I've had the opportunity to touch an enemy logistics truck.

than you are not sneaky enough

Think about it practically. When you find a logi ready to be tracked, where is it? It's already parked by the FOB. And if you're hoping to find the next FOB, it's going to be a looooong time before a squad decides to build a second FOB when most squad leaders only focus on being in combat.

It's a non issue.

I've yet to see any team mates telling me we got a tracking IED. If it's tracking, most of the time it's going to be tracking a parked vehicle.

Seems pretty ingenious. Doesn't break realism (any more than knowing the positions of all friendlies on the map at all times with no delay), if they're using a phone as a receiver, even the cheapest burner phones have GPS nowadays.

Even if they were to attach a GPS device to a logi, it's still not an absolute giveaway as to their FOB position unless they were to just dump the vehicle 30 feet from it after dropping supplies (which happens an awful lot anyway and will give away the position much faster)

If they were to remove it because it's unintentional, I'd be all in favour of adding a seperate weapon or loadout option to the scout that adds a GPS tracker device (with no explosive option). Seems like the kind of asymmetric warfare options that insurgents have been lacking until this last patch (all they've really had was an extra frag round for the RPG and a rocket artillery truck that they can't afford to put a 25p protractor onto to measure the elevation and so is useless the majority of the time.

no one would ever opt for the tracking device because it would be useless 99% of the time

this whole issue doesn't matter, if you put an IED on a logi chances are it was at a FOB anyway

If you found an IED on your vehicle can you disarm and remove it?  Do we have an EOD guy? 

43 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

If you found an IED on your vehicle can you disarm and remove it?  Do we have an EOD guy? 

Maybe if you shoot it that will remove it. If small arms won't do it perhaps the law would be better.