Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
desen

decoy stones ?

hi,

whats up with this new decoy stones from the scout ?

what  is the purpose of them ? how to use them ?

marking for friendlis :) and trolling enemy :) 

Just for fun with them. Or hiding some stuff under it. 

You know that you can use shovel and dig your mine in ground. Than just red piece of it is at road. Palce this small rock on it and voala .... completely hidden. 

yeah, i know that in can shovel the mine down

Afaik you cannot place the decoy rock directly ON the mine hiding the red cap, but right besides it instead so it is hard to really think of good use for the rocks :/ 

You cant, i Tried it Yesterday.

@PROTOCOL I assume you can't place a stone right on top of the mine, just within one foot around it, which is, also taking the size of those rock in consideration, making the rocks pretty much useless, except for a decoy i guess, but still not that effective. There are plenty of debris on roads for you to hide your mines anyways, especially on Al Basrah.

2 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

@desen You can't what?

as he mentioned, placing the rock ON the mine

Posted (edited)

Doesn't the word "decoy" already says it? Just place it on the road and the enemy may will be tricked that there is a mine and not drive with a vehicle there until checked

edit: oh, the word "decoy" has multiple meanings. I just was thinking about the meaning of "faking" something

Edited by EKzyis

Posted (edited)

It appeared that his response "You cant, I tried yesterday.'" was in response to @Fieldfare informing @desen that while he may not be able to place them right on the mine he can place them "right besides instead". To which his response was he tried in can't, obviously suggesting besides... but I digress into details As most of us know you can place them around, so it was an interest to understand if he had trouble placing them close to rather than on top of, which clearly works. I agree the rocks are pretty useless given there isn't varying sizes across the 5. My question to confirm was related to his experience with placement functionality.

Edited by PROTOCOL
typo

Last night i swerved violently away from a neat circle of stones on the road. 

Afterward I thought, hmm neat circle then mine on the other side!

You can use them to spell out SOS for a helo rescue.... :P

Or a McDonald's smybol for baiting americans on Al basrah

i think you should be able to throw them like grenades. Pink!, Pink!

I would place a mine behind a unwitting APC then back off and throw rocks at the APC. It might think it was being shot at so move over my mine.

Also fun for baiting people to come toward my IED :)

:D

Getting Stoned in Al basrah

Yeah, those things are completely useless. Too small to conceal anything, or even to be noticed. Maybe if they were red and kind of cap-shaped :D

Posted (edited)

How about left click to place (and make them stackable so they stand out and can be used as decoys or markers) and right click to throw so you can bait enemies? By the way, the sapper kit in PR places stacks or rocks by default.

Edited by fatalsushi

Posted (edited)

Don't really understand what you would mark using the stones for friendlies.

I believe, and I'm not entirely sure, that in PR you didn't have IED or mine markers on the map, and so when insurgents and the like would put tripmines at the top of stairs, they'd indicate it by putting the stones nearby for friendlies. I may be wrong because I didn't play a lot of PR. But in Squad, you do have those markers on the map, and so I can't think of what use the decoy stones would be for marking.

Putting them in the middle of roads, where it's very obvious that they're there, can slow down a vehicle by making it inspect the stone or even detouring around it. I've seen BTRs get stuck in forests because they detoured around a decoy stone thinking it was a mine in the middle of the road.

Putting the stone near or on top of a mine seems counter intuitive as the stone has a larger footprint and is easier to spot than the mine itself, once buried, and so the two combined are almost impossible to miss.

Edited by Kerri