WhiskeyTango

Squad leaders with no idea what they're doing

Something thats been a real problem in the past few weeks more then the past, is the competency of squad leaders. Yes obviously there are new players and somewhat of a learning curve to the game but there's also blatant disregard for the rest of the team. It's so frustrating when there's a squad leader wondering off to the middle of nowhere with his mates as the rest of the team is trying to rangle him in and hes simply in goring everyone.

I feel there should be some sort of system implemented to allow you to be a squad leader, whether it's a rating that's effect by overall teamscore or number of matches played. Also I feel there should be a system in place were the SLs of the team can vote another on from his position or the squad itself could do so.

The Problem ist that sometimes no One Takes a heart and open up a Squad.
Everyone ist waiting minutes that someone do it and the Squad ist fills Up in One second.

But if it comes to bitching and complaining about the Squad leader, there are always more than enough volunteers.

Squad leading is sometimes a hard Job, when half of the squadmembers are new to this game or gives a Shit about the orders from the Squad leader.

So does that mean if you have a high enough score you be SL automatically. Some points I like to sit back and let someone else do it. Or see how other SL are playing.  I wouldn't want to be SL all the time with no choice. 

I spent a whole a round helping a new SL/player  learn the ropes. It was fun, don't want to do it all the time but we have to have new SL's or the  game wont expand. If you have a SL you don't agree with then start your own squad. Or ask if they would like some pointers. 

Posted (edited)

Wave of new players from, November free weekend, Christmas sales, recent free weekend + major updates in between. 
Simple as, just give them time. End of the day it's 4-5 guys taking a lot more responsibility and tasks than your normal player, it can be overwhelming for even experienced players. Everyone starts out bad. Only way you get better is playing.

I'm all for some sort of limitation system to keep out brand new players out of the SL seat just because it's way too challenging and a waste of time for everyone involved having them bumble around without knowing any of the basic mechanics. But once you're past those first few games and have a little bit of a grasp of whats going on, I welcome all new guys to try it out because you never have too many good SLs. And you get good SLs from bad SLs. Yay bad SLs!

P.S. 100/100 I will rather take a friendly SL who has 20 hours in the game and goes "hey I'm new at this what should I do" than a knowitall dickhead with 1000 hours whose convinced he's the top dog in every aspects of life.

Edited by SgtHerhi

1 hour ago, SgtHerhi said:

P.S. 100/100 I will rather take a friendly SL who has 20 hours in the game and goes "hey I'm new at this what should I do" than a knowitall dickhead with 1000 hours whose convinced he's the top dog in every aspects of life.

Quoted for truth.

Fully agree with all those points. Mainly what I would like to see is something that limits a new player to be SL, for example, before finishing 10 full matches or something like that. I'm all for helping out new players.

But a system to vote out bad SLs would be good for the team.

Why not just say to your bad SL ...hey, your not doing so hot, you had lots of chances, so we are leaving your squad and starting a new one lead by mr T over here, see ya. :)

1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

Why not just say to your bad SL ...hey, your not doing so hot, you had lots of chances, so we are leaving your squad and starting a new one lead by mr T over here, see ya. :)

Because that would require one of the disinterested squaddies to step up and lead a squad themselves. And we all know that isn't going to happen.

7 hours ago, WhiskeyTango said:

Fully agree with all those points. Mainly what I would like to see is something that limits a new player to be SL, for example, before finishing 10 full matches or something like that. I'm all for helping out new players.

But a system to vote out bad SLs would be good for the team.

The issue again is you might have 9 people waiting for a squad to form and even if some players waiting have 100+ hours there not going to step up and make a squad.

So it takes the newer player or whoever to step and make a squad. I hate squad leading but there have been so many times i join a game and there is literally 8-9 people waiting for a squad to form. I make a squad, its instantly full.

Squad lead just like medic is a class that has some responsibility and a lot of people just don't want to make the sacrifice to their play style once they have some experience.

So by having some sort of experience requirement to lead, there is just going to be situations where squads never form. Even now with no req it still happens when there are already 3-4 full squads. People just dont step up and will move on to the next server were they can just join a already started one. 

That basically means that a squad that can potentially be saving a game, but in the eyes of other squad leaders, seems like that squad leader is ruining everything, can get potentially "fired".

23 minutes ago, Socrates said:

That basically means that a squad that can potentially be saving a game, but in the eyes of other squad leaders, seems like that squad leader is ruining everything, can get potentially "fired".

Voting system is good suggestion. Definitely among squad members (like mutiny worked in BF2). Among SLs? That's interesting thought. Yeah, what Socrates wrote could happened but sometimes it's better to make a plan and stick to it even if it's not the best one. It would need to be unison vote of all SLs. Once implemented, it would make more sense to give that kind of power to commander than SLs.

Myself and Whiterabbit played with Exodus last night and their squad leaders are completely unable to grasp what leading is.

i was running a Stryker at gas station and was solely defending the north entrance when I ran out of ammo. Subsequently I had to go back to main to re-supply. Whilst this was happening the FOB at gas station was being over run so I quickly hot tailed it back and was told to light up the fob above me, bearing in mind I slightly missed the placement of this fob and exited the vehicle to get a better look at what I was shooting at, I got TK'd then kicked from the server for expressing my opinion. 

Wish some of these power hungry admins would just take some time to consider not all of us were in the direct vicinity of the FOB but we're trying their best to help. 

Isn't there a rule on Exodus that disallows one-manning APC class vehicles, or is that a different server?

The only thing about vote kick is it can be abused, a SL can be doing everything right but still being outplayed which is not SL's fault, but SL get blamed anyway and gets voted out.  Mutiny starts for other things happening and not SL performance.  Players disgusted their team is losing which is not fault of their SL and mutiny starts.  Vote kick can be bad too.  This happened to commanders in BF2 they got booted for losing match by single ticket, wtf.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:00 AM, SgtHerhi said:

I personally disagree with this, i don't care about how friendly a squad leader is, as long as he does his job properly and knows what he is doing, which with a 1000 in game hours he surely does. Someone with 20 hours in game should NEVER EVER under ANY circumstances be a SL, anybody with less than a 100h in my opinion, unless they've played project reality for years before , in which case, if you have a SL like that, it's like playing against bots on the other team.

The game has got to be so fast and big that SL's have an overwhelming amount of things to do. They REALLY need fire team leaders or commander or something to help out SL's. I have 700 hours in the game and try to SL from time to time (which I'm not great at) and the amount of shit to do on top of your squad constantly questioning your decisions and not following orders make it so even if you are winning your not having fun.

Posted (edited)

An SL vote system? Are you serious?

Most squad leaders think the only way to play the game is be directly on the objective and put a spawn point on it.

They don't know you can have a big impact by focusing on their spawn point and cutting their reinforcements to objectives, or that you can have two to three spawn points next to an objective by building around it.

Most do not understand that a squad can easily be caught and slowed down by contact.

Even one MG can tie down a whole squad.

You think that's ridiculous? We're operating squads of random people who don't train togeter. You can very easily slow down squads by doing hit and runs, and popping smoke, and making them think there's many of you while there really is only one.

But squad leaders love looking at their minimap instead of what their squad is doing, and critizing how SL 2 hasn't moved from the Gas Station in 10 minutes.

People want to get rid of squad leaders, but they're not even in their squad and have no clue what that squad is doing or engaging. Yet they're qualified to be judges.

Fog-of-war and infantry squads who can't maneuver because they are committed aren't just real war problems. They happen in every Squad match, but are commonly seen as incompetence.

A squad vote system just allows squad leaders to kick SLs blindly.

But most importantly, it lets people kick people for not playing the game the way they think it should be played.

If there's an actual trolling problem, leave it to the admins.

Edited by Cavazos

Maybe some automatic indicator on menu how your squad is doing on current match.. objective, defence, team work, how effective real time lol :D just a thought didint think too much about it :D

The current option is make your own squad. In addition to the problem stated, most can be attributed to new comers jumping right in without making an attempt to read up on mechanics (basic ones even). As much as I hate the idea of "forced tutorials"; its almost needed here...   On game load, if new registered player initiate.

19 hours ago, MilosV said:

I personally disagree with this, i don't care about how friendly a squad leader is, as long as he does his job properly and knows what he is doing, which with a 1000 in game hours he surely does. Someone with 20 hours in game should NEVER EVER under ANY circumstances be a SL, anybody with less than a 100h in my opinion, unless they've played project reality for years before , in which case, if you have a SL like that, it's like playing against bots on the other team.

People just feel threatened by the thought that someone else might actually know better than hem, so they just dismiss them as "knowitall dickheads".

If a squad leader isn't doing particularly well, drop some helpful tips (without resorting to backseat commanding). However, most of the time when people are doing badly at squad leading, it isn't because they're just new, it's because they made the squad with no intention of squad leading (majority of the time they've taken a non-SQL class). However, even if if the guy is just horrendously bad at squad leading, the answer is the same. Either request he give you squad lead, or make your own squad (and if everyone else thought he was terrible, you'd seen enough have all his squadmates in your own squad)

What no one benefits from is people bitching and moaning, and putting people off from giving it a go. I'd rather have a couple of incompetent squad leaders than 40 people in the unassigned section as the match starts.

A lot of people also avoid making the first squad because it often attracts the shittiest players who just join whatever squad they can. I generally run 3/4-man squads and if my squad is one of the first two squads made, I have to spend half the round kicking people who don't bother reading the squad name(4-man recon).

I normally make a squad at the start, if people don't follow my order, I ask them why and concluded if they should stay in my squad or not.

The only thing I expect from a SL is a damn rally point being up as much as possible. I can't stand walking in a squad without fireteam tactics. How many times have I witnessed this? only twice in over 120hours play time...Granted I play 100% pubs. By keeping this mindset, SL's rarely irk me as much(long as rallies are put down!). So instead I coordinate myself around his orders, to at least have some tactical advantage over the enemy(but only if my SL shows no tactics, beyond move here!).

You don't just flank or go head on. You order 1-4 to suppress location, while making a sharp flank with the environment. Most times another squad is firing headon to position, I take that as my means to flank. If soldier on point stops you stop. If soldier on point moves across open field, the last 2-4 members should cover location, then proceed when point reached cover.

If entering a building, you slice the pie before entering. Then if following point you look at opposite direction, then towards your point. There are not closed doors in this game.

Plenty more to it... Just some basics here.

But I never see this really. Just bone head squad leading. Wanting to build. Wanting you to wait for nothing. Wanting you to wait for their mistakes. Wanting you to do blah blah, just to get mowed down because no tactics are being displayed beyond "Move this way". Calling out enemies without distance in relation to direction(I find the keypad system is lacking in fluidity, especially since its been expanded further).

I just don't expect this anymore beyond vague leading as we normally see. Now I would expect this out of a clan, or I'd quit said clan. But I rarely even see active clans on the American side of servers. A clan actually deploying fire team tactics? not once... Or I would have asked to join.