Dani

Mortars, IEDs, Mine low blast range

Dani   

Hey guys, 

One day, i played squad. I was about 20 meters from IED that took our Humvee. The humvee was destroyed, but i didnt have any supressing effect nor any hit. In real life, IEDs sharpnel could hit us farther than that, maybe like 50 - 100 meters, or even more? Same happened to mines.., i didnt quite have a suppressing effect from the blast when i was 20 meters from its explosion

Not only IEDs, mortars also have quite small blast range in my opinion. One day i stood in from of the mortar blast, and i only got so little suppressing effect. 

What do you guys think, should it be changed? 

I haven't had much experience with the new mines and IEDs so I can't really speak to their effectiveness. However, I will always prefer balanced and enjoyable gameplay mechanics over realistic ones. If the developers or community believe that explosives need to be buffed then i'm all for it. But just not for the sake of realism.  

Dani   

Hmm i guess you're right. If realism can give unbalanced potential over the gameplay, then it shouldnt be implemented, just yet. Thanks for your feedback! 

I wouldn't mind seeing IED be buffed. Ofc it'd mean that VBIED would be more common, but to be perfectly honest that's how they are IRL. Alongside roadside IEDs Vehicle Borne ones are common af and often driven in a mad haze towards a checkpoint or somesuch. Always scary, intense for both driver and guys on the receiving end. Cars and such cost tickets so the payoff for such use requires a lot of casualties to really be worth it. 

If buffed, maybe limit them classes further in return so not everybody is able to spam VBIED's from their squads?

Peerun   

Agree with the mortars. Same issue as the rocket techie, you can literally walk through a barrage and not have a scratch on you. I mean it feels badass, but common, if the dust from the explosion brushes against your ankles there should be no ankles to brush on at that point.

IEDs should be WAY more powerful and terrifying. Right now when one goes off it literally has the AOE of a frag grenade, same with the mortar (which only needs a slight AOE buff and more suppressive effect)

I made this suggestion elsewhere but I can also recommend it here.

Why not keep the blast radius relatively small (I still think it needs a bit of a buff). To make up for this you could have a class similar to the heavy AT class except it comes with either larger IEDs or more explosive options. This class would be limited in much the same way as the HAT as in each team would only get 1 or 2.

Larger IED would not be able to be attached to bikes, meaning larger vehicles would be needed and no stealth Garys.

Larger IED would also take a longer time to resupply or have a much larger resupply cost depending on how the devs want to evolve the resupply system.

Dani   
14 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

IEDs should be WAY more powerful and terrifying. Right now when one goes off it literally has the AOE of a frag grenade, same with the mortar (which only needs a slight AOE buff and more suppressive effect)

I feel the same too.. There should be a large blast range when there's a mortar or IEDs blast in front of your face

Tajin   

Any chance that the humvee shielded you from the explosion?

I know that mortar shells can get you inside a building if there an opening (door, window, etc) in the wall.

By the way: I'd love to see explosions knocking you off your feet (combined with a nice bit of ringing in your ears), even when they don't outright kill you but I guess the animation system is pretty far from beeing able to support that.

Edited by Tajin

5 hours ago, Tajin said:

By the way: I'd love to see explosions knocking you off your feet (combined with a nice bit of ringing in your ears), even when they don't outright kill you but I guess the animation system is pretty far from beeing able to support that.

They could even use something like what happens when a friendly vehicle hits you. Just ragdoll to the ground if you're too close.

Would be sweet to see seriously huge IED explosions though, particularly because of how amazing the mortar explosions look.

LugNut   

Shrapnel modeled in game would solve this problem, since it's really what causes the most injuries at a distance from the blast itself. Looks like you could make it through this Ok right? Listen for the shrapnel, that's why you'd hug the ground.

You could incorporate shrapnel in UE3, unless it's a huge performance hit here, I really think we need it. 

Edited by LugNut

Peerun   
5 minutes ago, suds said:

I had to bandage once from mortars. True story.

You must've stepped from a particularly tall stair with the mortar coincidentally exploding next to it.

9 hours ago, Peerun said:

You must've stepped from a particularly tall stair with the mortar coincidentally exploding next to it.

No i confirm this guy, i was on hilltop under mortar fire in a building and i started bleeding after a shock so it really is a true story.

Kerri   

Mines are fine, from what I recall they're AT mines and so most of the blast would be going directly upwards into whatever vehicle triggered it.

However, I agree with both IEDs and mortars.

I had 3 mortars land not 10m infront of me last night, and I didn't take a single hit from it. From what I recall, I wasn't even supressed.

IEDs seem only large enough to kill people coming through a large doorway, with little to no damage outside of the immediate fireball. Since they seem to be based off a mortar round (at least the model), their damage is sensibly just as anaemic as the tube-fired mortar round.

They could probably both do with a large damage and blast increase, with tube-fired mortars being balanced by a large increase in the initial build cost (they shouldn't be worth the same amount of points as a couple of ladders)

It's clear mortars and IEDs need a buff. It shouldn't necessarily have a bigger "kill" radius, but definitely do damage further out, even if it's just enough to make you bleed. This would make mortars much more effective at suppressing enemies in an area. You'll think twice about staying in the open then.

The current IED is just two smallish mortars rounds strapped together, so it should do more damage, but not really in a larger radius than a mortar round I would say.

Edited by JarryHead

tatzhit   
10 hours ago, JarryHead said:

It's clear mortars and IEDs need a buff. It shouldn't necessarily have a bigger "kill" radius, but definitely do damage further out, even if it's just enough to make you bleed. This would make mortars much more effective at suppressing enemies in an area. You'll think twice about staying in the open then.

The current IED is just two smallish mortars rounds strapped together, so it should do more damage, but not really in a larger radius than a mortar round I would say.

^This.

Bahrein   
On 5/11/2017 at 2:28 PM, suds said:

I had to bandage once from mortars. True story.

I actually died once

I agree with you. Mortars should do more damage, as you all may know mortars requires more teamwork than anything else in the game at the moment, especially if you aim it to be effective by hitting the enemy fast and precise. As such it should reward people operating them. Right now, its not. It can fall right next to you and you just walk it off with no damage taken. 

Mortar and rockets needs buff on theirs explosions . I just walk into fire and nothing happens.

Arty on red orchestra is so much more terrifying bcuz it really kill you. You need a reason to use it and only suppression is not enough.

Maamyyra   

Mortars don't have shrapnel rounds atm so they have low aoe. But what i'd buff is the suppress effects on explosives, the bigger the explosion-> the longer you are pinned (stamina won't regen).

I wouldn't wind if the camera would shake a bit when near explosion, but i understand why some people hate it.

tatzhit   
3 hours ago, Maamyyra said:

Mortars don't have shrapnel rounds atm so they have low aoe. But what i'd buff is the suppress effects on explosives, the bigger the explosion-> the longer you are pinned (stamina won't regen).

I wouldn't wind if the camera would shake a bit when near explosion, but i understand why some people hate it.

Wait what? I was under the impression that 82mm mortars fired frag ammo like 98% of the time. Why would anyone use HE ammo with em in the first place? Are we sure that "HE" in game isn't supposed to be HE-Frag?

Russian pediwikia says 82mm mortars only have frag and he-frag ammo (plus smoke). I don't think there is such a thing as "pure HE" for 82mm mortars, because I can't fathom what it would be used for. American "HE" mortar rounds are also apparently best described as HE-Frag, since they throw something like 1400+ fragments.

In terms of effective range, US FM says that anyone within ~100 feet of 81mm impact should die or shit their pants at the very least.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-90/Appb.htm