Peerun

Scout kit: Binos + Cell Combo

Imo, it'd be great if the cell phone and binos were one item, so you could hold both at the same time. Right click to look through binos, left click to dial IEDs.

could also add the keypad command channel ability, not full command channel just one SL at a time, saves you bothering your SL to pass coms

35 minutes ago, suds said:

could also add the keypad command channel ability, not full command channel just one SL at a time, saves you bothering your SL to pass coms

Sensory overload.

6 hours ago, Peerun said:

Imo, it'd be great if the cell phone and binos were one item, so you could hold both at the same time. Right click to look through binos, left click to dial IEDs.

Great idea

I like it. They could make it if you already have the phone out and select binos you have the option to detonate with the LMB. It could have is own animation of holding the phone and raising the binos in the other hand so you know you're ready. Much more satisfying to watch the destruction through the binos.

I think in this game/sim, the soldier has some difficulties making multi task with its hands. For example, when throwing a grenade, it puts its weapon safe and then throws the grenade... that should also be at the press of a button. Or at least a lot quicker.

Same goes for this kit, if it has binoculars and cell phone/detonator, it should be possible to do it. Although it would not have a stable binoculars, it should be added swing/sway to the vision.

2 hours ago, Focha said:

I think in this game/sim, the soldier has some difficulties making multi task with its hands. For example, when throwing a grenade, it puts its weapon safe and then throws the grenade... that should also be at the press of a button. Or at least a lot quicker.

Same goes for this kit, if it has binoculars and cell phone/detonator, it should be possible to do it. Although it would not have a stable binoculars, it should be added swing/sway to the vision.

Having the grenade a separate slot from the weapon/no insta-throw is good for gameplay balance. However, with the IED detonator and binoculars, there's a huge incentive to pair these items together without any bad gameplay side affects.

I would have it so you can choose to have either out by themselves, or both out at the same time. Like if your detonator is already out and you press 6 to pull out your binocs, your binocs will go in your right hand and your phone stays in your left.

3 hours ago, Focha said:

it should be added swing/sway to the vision.

Any sway on binoculars is ****ing bullshit tbh.

7 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Any sway on binoculars is ****ing bullshit tbh.

From a game point of view or from real life?

53 minutes ago, Mumble said:

Having the grenade a separate slot from the weapon/no insta-throw is good for gameplay balance. However, with the IED detonator and binoculars, there's a huge incentive to pair these items together without any bad gameplay side affects.

I would have it so you can choose to have either out by themselves, or both out at the same time. Like if your detonator is already out and you press 6 to pull out your binocs, your binocs will go in your right hand and your phone stays in your left.

Although off topic, can you tell why it is not good for gameplay balance? It's a matter of simplicity. Imagine this, you click the grenade button and when you want to throw, you let it go. It is the exactly same thing but with simple game mechanics.

Just now, Focha said:

looking from a gameplay point of view, it's a pain in the ass, as many squad lead actions are based on where the center of the screen is; if the binos are swaying and changing your line of sight from the patch of trees 100m out to the ledge 2m in front of you that you are peering over, it makes placing a good marker a pain in the butt. The amount of time wasted from placing a bad marker through first person,  going to erase the bad marker, then placing the proper marker negates the major benefit gained through doing it first person.

6 minutes ago, Mumble said:

looking from a gameplay point of view, it's a pain in the ass, as many squad lead actions are based on where the center of the screen is; if the binos are swaying and changing your line of sight from the patch of trees 100m out to the ledge 2m in front of you that you are peering over, it makes placing a good marker a pain in the butt. The amount of time wasted from placing a bad marker through first person,  going to erase the bad marker, then placing the proper marker negates the major benefit gained through doing it first person.

You are probably right. It's not feasible to a good gameplay.

1 minute ago, Focha said:

Although off topic, can you tell why it is not good for gameplay balance? It's a matter of simplicity. Imagine this, you click the grenade button and when you want to throw, you let it go. It is the exactly same thing but with simple game mechanics.

Yes, so my thinking there is that having separation between "ready to throw a grenade" and "doing anything else" is a good thing. For one, it allows for dynamics between the grenade tossing squad and the grenade receiving squad. If the grenade thrower has to shoulder-strap their weapon for 3 seconds to prep and toss a grenade, this allows the receiver to read the situation and counter the thrower while he is disarmed of his rifle. If the tosser asks his buddy to cover him while he takes out his nade, then he is rewarded for playing strategically.

If you remove this transition, you lose these two gameplay dynamics that otherwise make for more interesting engagements.

One thing I would be fine with is, once your grenade is being pulled out, you can hold down the mouse key and you don't have to spam mouse1 anymore.

2 minutes ago, Mumble said:

Yes, so my thinking there is that having separation between "ready to throw a grenade" and "doing anything else" is a good thing. For one, it allows for dynamics between the grenade tossing squad and the grenade receiving squad. If the grenade thrower has to shoulder-strap their weapon for 3 seconds to prep and toss a grenade, this allows the receiver to read the situation and counter the thrower while he is disarmed of his rifle. If the tosser asks his buddy to cover him while he takes out his nade, then he is rewarded for playing strategically.

If you remove this transition, you lose these two gameplay dynamics that otherwise make for more interesting engagements.

One thing I would be fine with is, once your grenade is being pulled out, you can hold down the mouse key and you don't have to spam mouse1 anymore.

Yes, well, I was not saying for instant grenade throw. It is more like, instead of pressing 4, then mouse 1 it's a press 4 (example) and release. The animation time is still present, meaning that the avatar would have to put down the weapon and get the grenade from vest/belt, but it would immensely improve gameplay. That would be valid for other grenades and/or equipment.

2 minutes ago, Focha said:

Yes, well, I was not saying for instant grenade throw. It is more like, instead of pressing 4, then mouse 1 it's a press 4 (example) and release. The animation time is still present, meaning that the avatar would have to put down the weapon and get the grenade from vest/belt, but it would immensely improve gameplay. That would be valid for other grenades and/or equipment.

Oh, well that's a nonissue, it's more of a coding thing. It would be perfectly fine gameplay-wise, just would need to be coded by devs/modders and accepted into the menu system.

2 hours ago, Focha said:

From a real life point of view, did you ever look through binoculars? Now presumably, if they have eyesocket rests or whatever those rubber things are called, you just hold them against your face, so if there is any sway it's negligable - as at that point the sway isn't caused by your hands, but would be cause by your whole body, mainly your spine changing position.
So, yes, ofcourse there is some sway, but definitely way less than is portrayed in the game. Which, by the way, I am not blaming the game for, afaik all aimable items have the same sway value and it'll be only possible to change with the upcoming weapon system refactor, a.k.a. V10-11

edit: By the way, I think it'd be pretty interesting to have this dual item system across all things, now that you guys are slightly suggesting it.

Say for example, you can pull out your grenade and then your rifle and hold both, but your recoil will be increased and you won't throw as far(on account of the rifle in your left hand slowing your throwing montion)

Edited by Peerun

1 hour ago, Peerun said:

From a real life point of view, did you ever look through binoculars? Now presumably, if they have eyesocket rests or whatever those rubber things are called, you just hold them against your face, so if there is any sway it's negligable - as at that point the sway isn't caused by your hands, but would be cause by your whole body, mainly your spine changing position.
So, yes, ofcourse there is some sway, but definitely way less than is portrayed in the game. Which, by the way, I am not blaming the game for, afaik all aimable items have the same sway value and it'll be only possible to change with the upcoming weapon system refactor, a.k.a. V10-11

edit: By the way, I think it'd be pretty interesting to have this dual item system across all things, now that you guys are slightly suggesting it.

Say for example, you can pull out your grenade and then your rifle and hold both, but your recoil will be increased and you won't throw as far(on account of the rifle in your left hand slowing your throwing montion)

That might be a step too far in the dual wield options. There are a few occasions I wish I could keep a weapon out while tossing a grenade but I don't think the military train that way even if they might do it in a combat situation. In those situations I should really be covered by a teammate and not going all Rambo like however fun. You do realise the massive increase in animation work you would give the devs if they were to go that route as well.

22 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

That might be a step too far in the dual wield options. There are a few occasions I wish I could keep a weapon out while tossing a grenade but I don't think the military train that way even if they might do it in a combat situation. In those situations I should really be covered by a teammate and not going all Rambo like however fun. You do realise the massive increase in animation work you would give the devs if they were to go that route as well.

Well it was just a thought. Maybe in Squad 2 + Fastropes

38 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Well it was just a thought. Maybe in Squad 2 + Fastropes

Or the Rambo mod where you can hip shoot the belt fed m240.

1rby21.jpg