Nugiman

Increasing Performance (CPU Upgrade?)

Nugiman   

Hey Guys!

It's time for me to spent some money on my computer.

I want to avoid a bottleneck, but I'm a bit outdated if it comes to hardware.

My specs at the moment:

AMD FX-6300 6-Core 3500 MHz

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 760

970 Pro3 R2.0 Motherboard

What would be the best move? Upgrade CPU, or CPU and Graphic Card?

I read about the AMD Ryzen 5 1X00 which seems to be the new shit. Do I need a new Motherboard for that upgrade?

Thx in advance and sorry for my noob question, its been a while I was into computer hardware...

Edited by Nugiman

Nugiman   

Budget is around 500€, mid-high settings and playable fps (30-40).

AMD Ryzen 1600

DDR4 16 GB

New CPU Cooler

You think thats fine? Also probably need a new Motherboard for that...

moppel   

Basiclly you need a new Mobo, CPU, RAM, GFX.

Whats you buget?

I guess this Rig will be not exclusivly for Squad ?

What resolution you playing on ?

Do you own allready a freesync/g sync Monitor ?

Do you own allready an SSD?

A good bang for the buck build broadly for games currently is:  

• B350 Board, ~80€
  • R5 1600 ( buy X version if you dont intend to OC) 220-270€
  • 2x8Gb of DDR4 2400 ( Ryzen is pretty sensitive to Ram choice so check either QVL or Forums for Compatibility ) ~110€
  • GTX1060 6GB (better in UE4 games then AMD counterpart , less power consumtion but also 2 Gb less Vram ) or its AMD counterpart RX480 ~ 230€

The CPU is not the best choice for Squad  but a potentially better longtime perspective for gaming as whole  like a I5 7600K that is better in squad.

SHO-SHIN   
14 minutes ago, Nugiman said:

Budget is around 500€, mid-high settings and playable fps (30-40).

AMD Ryzen 1600

DDR4 16 GB

New CPU Cooler

You think thats fine? Also probably need a new Motherboard for that...

Personally i would only go with Intel and Nvidia as my preference and if you did I would say the following would be great,

i5 6600k (you could get a 4670K or 4690k perhaps and save)

1060 6GB

16GB RAM
SSD

CPU Cooler to allow OC

new motherboard

If you got reasonable resale prices on the old kit, I think you could do that on or around budget.

Ryzen is very good but it's not something I have looked at yet (i'll leave it 6 months to settle in).

Nugiman   

4 hours ago, moppel said:

A good bang for the buck build broadly for games currently is:  

• B350 Board, ~80€
  • R5 1600 ( buy X version if you dont intend to OC) 220-270€
  • 2x8Gb of DDR4 2400 ( Ryzen is pretty sensitive to Ram choice so check either QVL or Forums for Compatibility ) ~110€

This.

I`ll try this parts out, and if it is still too weak I'll go for the graphic card.

It`s definately not exclusively for Squad, but the reason I finally decided for an upgrade.

I know about the AMD compatibility problems, but over the last months it got much better than in the beginning of Squad. Couldn`t play it at all, back then.

Its more likely a low budget upgrade, no need for a next gen machine. Got a SSD for my macbook, but I don't think its necessary for my gaming pc.

Thanks for you help, guys!

Edited by Nugiman

MustD1e   

Optimization of the game should be at the first priority of the developers, because this problem affects very many players. Even no comment on this matter from them. I'm very tired of playing 30 fps. It is already knowns that the performance of CPU drops with the increase in the amount of players, it remains to find the cause - the weapon's polygons; movement, hits, ballistic processing, etc.

I have AMD FX-6100 and have 40-50 fps with 30-50 players, when 70 about 25-30 and CPU loaded ~50-60%. I very much doubt that this is a bug engine, just devs don't know something.

Edited by MustD1e

On 2017-5-5 at 1:25 PM, MustD1e said:

Optimization of the game should be at the first priority of the developers, because this problem affects very many players. Even no comment on this matter from them. I'm very tired of playing 30 fps. It is already knowns that the performance of CPU drops with the increase in the amount of players, it remains to find the cause - the weapon's polygons; movement, hits, ballistic processing, etc.

I have AMD FX-6100 and have 40-50 fps with 30-50 players, when 70 about 25-30 and CPU loaded ~50-60%. I very much doubt that this is a bug engine, just devs don't know something.

not really, thats like saying "Painting this house before it is finished being built should be the first priority"

Its a waste of time and resources to put so much focus on optimization when half the code could change in the future. better to have your game feature complete and then make it run like a dream then waste 3 months making it run like a dream only to have to re-do all of it when you add a new system.

also using a $99 budget CPU from 6 years ago and expecting high fps on an early access game is absurd.

As for the OP, what moppel said is probably a really good option.
I would upgrade your GPU last, once you have a new mobo and cpu you should notice a decent increase, then you can sell your 760 and put it towards a new one later.

MustD1e   

Yes, CPU is old, but all new games are going good (BF1, RS Siege). The devs received a lot of feedback about the problems with the CPU. Allowing this problem the game can involved a larger number of players, if the code will change, yes, it's a waste of time, otherwise if it's a core bug, developers should solve it, and such things as new content and decoration can be added later. In addition, with the increase of new content to find the cause of the problem will be even harder. In this approach content can be added endlessly, today mortars, tank tomorrow, after tomorrow another tanks etc. Infinite alpha stage with 30 fps.

Edited by MustD1e

37 minutes ago, MustD1e said:

Yes, CPU is old, but all new games are going good (BF1, RS Siege). The devs received a lot of feedback about the problems with the CPU. Allowing this problem the game can involved a larger number of players, if the code will change, yes, it's a waste of time, otherwise if it's a core bug, developers should solve it, and such things as new content and decoration can be added later. In addition, with the increase of new content to find the cause of the problem will be even harder. In this approach content can be added endlessly, today mortars, tank tomorrow, after tomorrow another tanks etc. Infinite alpha stage with 30 fps.

That's just it though, it's not a "Dev thing", it's a UE4 thing that's known and at this point in UE4 development, not fixed.

On 4.05.2017 at 1:07 PM, Nugiman said:

Hey Guys!

It's time for me to spent some money on my computer.

I want to avoid a bottleneck, but I'm a bit outdated if it comes to hardware.

My specs at the moment:

AMD FX-6300 6-Core 3500 MHz

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 760

970 Pro3 R2.0 Motherboard

What would be the best move? Upgrade CPU, or CPU and Graphic Card?

I read about the AMD Ryzen 5 1X00 which seems to be the new shit. Do I need a new Motherboard for that upgrade?

Thx in advance and sorry for my noob question, its been a while I was into computer hardware...

I'm not sure you are aware of it, but this CPU can go 5.0Ghz at mid range air cooler.

I've did it before and I highly recommend OC on this CPU.

It's going to give you a huge boost in FPS.