SiC

Ready or not - new tactical shooter!

This game seems ripe with potential, so I just had to do a video talking about it (starts with their teaser trailer!). It sounds like the spiritual successor to SWAT 4 I've always wanted!

Ready or Not is a tactical first person shooter which places you in the boots of an elite SWAT team, tasked with diffusing hostile situations in intense, claustrophobic environments. It’s set in a nondescript modern America, where an income disparity between the classes have become unsustainable and the country has been plunged into havoc. Bring order to chaos with up to 8 players in cooperative play, battle enemy squads in a close player-vs-player environment, or command AI in a striking single-player mode.

Ready Or Not has been in development since June 2016, and includes an array of unique features. Today, we’re going to run through some of the already included features we’re most excited about.

Current features include:

Incremental lean system
Our most prominent feature involves the players ability to maneuver around obstacles, opening up infinite possibilities regarding tactical positions. Players can duck under low cover to avoid oncoming fire, or peak above high cover in order to spot and return fire upon the enemy. The assigned keys can be tapped in any order to “peek”. On top of this, we have also included a classic quick-lean system seen in many shooters.

Incremental Door control system
This gameplay feature allows for doors of multiple types such as sliding, swinging, and revolving doors, to be manipulated by the mouse wheel at any time. Provided the door is unlocked, players can interact and incrementally move them.

Modular speed control
Our final mouse-wheel-based feature involves the control of the player’s speed by scrolling up or down. This allows for precise movement in a close-quarters environment, which may mean the difference between life and death in a hostile situation. This, of course, can be re-bound to suit our users needs.

Simulated and detailed third person inventory
In a real life situation, each item has its place in a loadout. We wanted to ensure this level of replication, so we included detailed animations and systems which show your teammates exactly what you’re doing. Magazines, grenades, and items are retrieved and returned to their specific pouches, with the pouch flaps opening and closing in synchronicity with the players reload or draw, respectively.

Convex collision armour, allowing for precise protection
Armour collision in Ready or Not is calculated based on the mesh coverage on the player, allowing for accurate levels of realistic ballistic protection.

Projectile dynamics, bullets penetrate, ricochet, and deteriorate
Rounds have realistic range, drag, and tumble velocity. Calibers and ammunition types affect how far and how well a projectiles penetrate and exit. All rounds have the ability to ricochet based on surface materials and angle of impact, and deflection has recently been included as a feature. Less-than-lethal rounds will be unlikely to penetrate, but can sometimes still kill depending on proximity and impact area.

Responsive damage system and effects
If a player is shot in the legs, movement is slowed down based on the level of damage. Arm damage will decrease accuracy and increase draw times. Head damage, provided it is survived, can intermittently “haze” the players vision. This is all shown via a passive (read: hidden unless needed) indicator at the bottom of the screen.

Visceral gore
Deaths need to be impactful to the end user and we’re committed to providing an experience like no other. If characters in the game are hit, parallax bullet holes spawn on flesh, and blood will then seep out into surrounding fabrics. A gory bullet hole also becomes an emitter, as individuals who knock their wounds onto objects create a small splatter, based on bone velocity. In the future, we plan to implement an entire bodily destruction system.

Highly detailed weapons, characters and environments
As seen in our gallery and teaser, Ready or Not’s assets aren’t camera-shy. A realistic and high-detail representation of all assets is necessary in immersing the player in our world. Weapon edges are smooth and seamless, environmental detail is minute.

Massive selection of items
As of pre-alpha, we currently have over 30+ items in total, with plans to greatly expand this selection monthly. Concerns may arise over balance issues, but each item will have its place and value considered in order to avoid having duplicate functioning (but visually different) gear. These items include weapons, devices, grenades, and deployable items (read: items that can be selected in our planning phase)

Fully supported competitive servers based on Amazon Gamelift API
Ready or Not features a fully competitive set of gamemodes to test your mettle against other squads in PvP. However, players can still host listen servers and play with custom game rules.

Plans to support squad competitive play
Create a squad with up to ten friends for PvP and Coop. Work as small groups to reap squad rewards, and compete in yearly leader-board competitions to earn unique skins. A passive pointscore system allows players to work together to level and earn more squad points, opening up options in a mission’s planning phase.

Tactical Analysis
All missions begin with a tactical analysis and planning phase, currently allowing teams to shut off power grids, blockade entrances, create or choose new entry points, and spawn unique devices including ballistic shields, heavy rams, and telescopic ladders.

I referred to their website on my video but you're right, I should have. I made the post early in the morning and was in a rush, just wanted to get a thread out about it. And since the trailer is at the start of my video I didn't think I'd need to link the trailer again? :P 

Don't kid yourself, you did it promote your channel. We're not stupid.

OnT: Looks cool imo, don't recall us having a real "SWAT-style" game for a while. And of course I don't count Siege.

Of course that was part of it, but no, not as badly as you think. Of course damage is done and you'll just have to take my word for it when I say I'm simply excited about the game and wanted to share. I really did not have a lot of time, but oh well. You'll believe what you want, so. 

Sorry about the duplicate thread.

Made by three people.  As if "bring order to chaos" wasn't enough, this game's inspiration in good ol' Swat 4 is made even more evident in the only "gameplay" video I could find. The recent resurgence of tactical shooters is now even more promising with a game that is apparently going to emphasize restraint and discipline, something that we don't get in fun, but still competitive games like Siege.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, FelipeFritschF said:

Sorry about the duplicate thread.

Made by three people.  As if "bring order to chaos" wasn't enough, this game's inspiration in good ol' Swat 4 is made even more evident in the only "gameplay" video I could find. The recent resurgence of tactical shooters is now even more promising with a game that is apparently going to emphasize restraint and discipline, something that we don't get in fun, but still competitive games like Siege.

So I'm confused, you guys seem to be getting so hyped up for it and saying how much "potential" it has when it is simply boasting all of these ridiculous, outrageous features that even AAA games would have issues developing- and there's only 3 people working on it since and only since June. There's barely any in-game footage besides a shitty 20 second GIF with no sound and the release trailer, while cool, I'm fairly sure was live action (unless I'm missing something here and somehow they have the best graphics in the business) and more like a trailer for a short film.

I honestly laughed when it started talking about "bone velocity" for calculating blood trails on walls and all of this talk about bullet ballistics when the game is CQB and doesn't have to worry about a lot of that.

Edited by Catindabox

Maybe they just like having a crazy amount of details. To be fair, as cool as it sounds, it might actually be a good idea *not* to have that sort of feature in the game, when the resources and manhours that would be poured into implementing them could be better used into something that might actually make a difference in the game. Honestly though, I don't really care if they actually can have physical magazines being put back into physical pouches or something like that, as long as the game can hold up on its own as a good tactical shooter. They certainly seem to be going for a no holds barrelled approach, which is a good sign.

I can't get excited yet. All style over substance. Without decent gameplay is just a technical exercise. As has already been pointed out is very ambitious for a 3 man team. I wasn't impressed by the trailer. Far too moody. 

5 hours ago, Catindabox said:

So I'm confused, you guys seem to be getting so hyped up for it and saying how much "potential" it has when it is simply boasting all of these ridiculous, outrageous features that even AAA games would have issues developing- and there's only 3 people working on it since and only since June. There's barely any in-game footage besides a shitty 20 second GIF with no sound and the release trailer, while cool, I'm fairly sure was live action (unless I'm missing something here and somehow they have the best graphics in the business) and more like a trailer for a short film.

I honestly laughed when it started talking about "bone velocity" for calculating blood trails on walls and all of this talk about bullet ballistics when the game is CQB and doesn't have to worry about a lot of that.

^This^

You gonna be in "Hype mode" for many years to come.Those who are Hyped about this. 

Posted (edited)

You know, for three man team and work on the game since June 2016, it's impressive and they made a game that looks or even better than any typical AAA games. Even if this game is a failure, at least give credits where credits is due..

Edited by Dennisz125

2 hours ago, Dennisz125 said:

You know, for three man team and work on the game since June 2016, it's impressive and they made a game that looks or even better than any typical AAA games. Even if this game is a failure, at least give credits where credits is due..

Show me where the gameplay footage is. They have offered practically nothing.

Posted (edited)

On 8/5/2017 at 6:19 AM, Catindabox said:

So I'm confused, you guys seem to be getting so hyped up for it and saying how much "potential" it has when it is simply boasting all of these ridiculous, outrageous features that even AAA games would have issues developing

Practically it is any kickstarter project, even Squad.

Maybe get hyped for a little trailer and a gif is too much but today all the AAA are pretty much the same and maybe people only want a remastered of game like the first Rainbow Six or the first Ghost recon or (like in this case) Swat.

I got hyped for Rising Storm 2 and already buy it, still waiting to try the alpha.

Edited by eagon89

The Squad developers had PR on their record, so there was a reason to trust them. And they were more than 3 people.

I won't say anything positive or negative about this project, because it is too early to say anything at all. Let us wait and see. I will be glad if they succeed in a good SWAT game.

1 hour ago, eagon89 said:

Practically it is any kickstarter project, even Squad.

Maybe get hyped for a little trailer and a gif is too much but today all the AAA are pretty much the same and maybe people only want a remastered of game like the first Rainbow Six or the first Ghost recon or (like in this case) Swat.

I got hyped for Rising Storm 2 and already buy it, still waiting to try the alpha.

Rising storm 2 has had gameplay footage and dev updates since like 2 years ago I see nothing like that for this game.

PS: Played the Beta too and it's already awesome

game trailer looks good. The name is garbage =p

On 5/9/2017 at 9:59 AM, madcat768 said:

game trailer looks good. The name is garbage =p

What's your suggestion?

Because of this current name, everyone will say," 3, 2, 1, Ready or not, here we come" for every door they come across.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Dennisz125 said:

What's your suggestion?

Because of this current name, everyone will say," 3, 2, 1, Ready or not, here we come" for every door they come across.

Ok? Yay we all get to say that? You find that name fitting to represent a realistic serious tactical game?  I guess that's just you. Not getting it.

Its also a question. A title that is a question should NEVER be used as a name for a world. A game world representing tactical realism or anything else. Its a QUESTION. It would be appropriate for a story, perhaps a book but not to represent a world. Its shallow and says nothing of tactical realism or the depth of an immersive enviorment.

Unless there is a serial killer in the story (if there is a story) that says that phrase way too friggen much. Why would you sink that much money into making a game that looks that good and come up with a name like that. To me thats nearly up with playing off of mary had a little lamb and oli oli oli oxenfree. (Although i think oxenfree is a good name for that game that just came out...the one called Oxenfree cause it makes sense. Its not a tactical shooter).

Some way better names off the top of my head:

Stackup 

The Civilian Protectorate

Kill House

Body Stop

Edited by madcat768