OssOr

EXODUS server, spanish community subject to xenophobia/racism/discrimination

Last saturday, me and my team, and some more spanish people were playing in EXODUS EU/UK server a squad named SPANISHTEAM. We are typing this post because we were subject to racist, xenophobic and discrimination comments unexpectedly.

Everything started when some individual blamed us for losing the game saying things like "damn Spanish" or "Spaniards noobs, leave the server", then some more of his squad added saying things of the like. Meanwhile, we were saying nothing and continued with our game. We thought it was an isolated case and decided to ignore them. Then a few more joined the pointless harassment against the entire Spanish community in general (even people in the opposite team who didn't know anything about how we were playing, just seemed to enjoy the free abuse), and to top it off, two squads of our team changed their names to "NO SPANISH" and "NO SPANIARDS". then we decided to intervene to defend ourselves because we noticed it was not a single child playing thug.

We told them to stop the abuse against the entire Spanish community, and focus on the people they disagreed with. Then an English speaker on our squad said that we were speaking in Spanish inside the squad (like if that was a bad thing after the name we put on our squad!) After that, an EXODUS admin said to "speak in English among squad leaders". Then we said that "our squad leader WAS communicating in English with the other squad leaders", as we always do. No EXODUS member said anything about the unfair blabbering against the entire Spanish community. After a few moments some of us started to get banned. I'll be partial here and say that people got banned from both sides (the ones attacking us and some of us included for defending ourselves against an injustice) but that was just like 3 of them, while a lot more contributed, and to our surprise not a single word from the admins about the injustice that had just happened, which is the saddest thing and what made us feel really discouraged.

But far from that, even moderators laughed at us when a Spanish community member tried to talk to them and get an explanation about the bans and that we kept the rules about language spoken (Spanish inside our squad, and English among other squad leaders) Only one of them told us that it was fair to speak our language inside our squad, the others just limited to mock at him, which tells a lot about this server's members.

After everything, most of us got banned because of this situation and we think some action should be taken if this happens again, but mostly to warn people about the "politics" of this server because admins are not to be trusted. I'm speaking on behalf of every Spanish person that was on that server.

EDIT: In case there is any doubt, some fellow spanish players were on the opposite team and they felt equally offended, in case anyone thinks they were just being mean to our squad. And also other non spanish people took part on our side and supported us (and got also banned). We would appreciate if any of the present people at the time could support us on this thread.

Edited by OssOr

Any proof? `I find the admins and crew on exodus to be among the best and there is always good team play and ping.

We thought so, and that's why we usually liked playing there. That was a BIG surprise and that's the reason it didn't cross our minds to take screenshots before the bans.

Nah think Exodus admins are fair, sometime too fair. Complained about a squad not wanting to speak English and just not working with the team. Admin didn't kick/ban them. Exodus doesn't ban for not speaking English.

Please, Smee, read my post, i'm not saying we got banned for not speaking english. I don't think you take this seriously.

The problem comes when they do nothing about the unfair harassment we were getting just because we were not good enough for them playing the game. Our country should not be an excuse for abuse.

We are aware we are going to get a lot of negative responses since Exodus is a good to play and well known server. Just wanted to let people know the possibility of this happening (it actually happened to us, and our jaws dropped when it did). We feel it's our right and must reflect our experience on this matter. We see it easy to get insulted by the simple fact of being from Spain , and we feel we should respond to it.

Edited by OssOr

These facts are completely true. I was playing there, I was one Squad Leader of one of the two spanish squads. The insults and abuse were constants and there was no action from admins. I undertand that you cant avoid unpolite people play in your server, but at less, I expect an admin's action to avoid it.
The best part comes when two of my mates were banned and then I request an admin for an explanation. I request an admin twice and got no answer,  therefore I asked in the general chat "Why admins allow this racist behaviour?", then I was banned immediately too with the message "Grief", that I dont understand. In my country means when somebody close to you dies, and you dress black, but I dont undestand it in that context.
I could understand a kick as a warning to end the argument, but a ban for requesting an explanation, it is exaggerated.

Edited by LaFuria
spelling mistake

I play on the Exodus server regularely, and the reason why you did not get a response from any admins in chat is because they are anonymous and rarely interact in chat. (As that would reveal who they are). If you want to get in touch with an admin because of abuse in game you should contact them on their discord server. I can say for sure Exodus doesn't discriminate squads that speak foreign languages inside their own squad since i make swedish ones on a daily basis. 

Hello @OssOr

I can understand your grievance.  I will explain the situation from a server admin point of view.  I was on the server at the time, saw it all unfold, and it was I who issued nine bans to try and bring control back to the server.

Firstly I am not attempting to defend any xenophobic behavior.  I agree that I witnessed derogatory abuse aimed at the Spanish squads on one team of the server.  I believe these comments started as the Spanish squads were failing to communicate effectively on SL comms channel leading to the team loosing several constitutive rounds by 300+ tickets.
This lead to some public, non regular players becoming vocal in side chat with comments about the Spanish squads.  To address this an admin broadcast message reminding everyone  - 'All Nationalities are welcome on the server but ENGLISH must be used in SL comms'.  Unfortunately this did not help as desired and several of the public players continued to post diorgatary comments about the Spanish Squads.  Those two players were then immediately banned for side chat abuse under the reason 'grief'.

On any normal day this would usually be enough to bring the situation under control and the focus on the server to return back to gameplay.  This was late Saturday night though and rather than die down the situation continued to develop with an argument developing in side chat between who i assume were the friends of those player just banned with half the team joining in to support the original comments of those banned, including regular players on the server, re-reinforcing their feelings that the Spanish squads were not communicating, not attempting to communicate, and had lost the last three rounds through their approach to Squad Leading.

At this point side chat is out of control and I issue a warning - 'Hold it down in side chat plz'.  Most regular players stop on side chat at this point aware of what is likely to come next, several public players including Spanish players continue to argue in side chat.  I issue a second warning almost immediately after the first again advising players to stop using side chat.  Again that is ignored and side chat is still extremely active with a two way enlargement between players calling the Spanish squads out for poor gameplay / comms and in return Spanish players defending their stance.  A third warning was again almost instantly issued.
Once the third warning had issued anyone who spoke in side chat was banned, Spanish, English, Clan, non clan, black, white, human, alien - Anyone.  A total of seven bans were issued for side chat abuse upon failing to comply with the THREE warnings.

Following the bans the server started to return to normal gameplay with minimal side chat and situation regarding the argument between the Spanish and non Spanish players dissipated.  Questions in side chat from both parties began to be asked and an a simple explanation was issued explaining 'All bans were issued for side chat abuse - three warnings were issued' and 'All bans are appealable via discord'.  A this point i was called a racist and another ban was issued.  Following that the server returned to normal gameplay with minimal side chat.  I believe I have screenshots of the console chat log as it is very rare for a situation to get so out of hand, even on late on a Saturday night.

All players are welcome on the server.  We are an open server welcoming all nationalities and have a diverse player base.  This has been the same policy since the first day the server was live way back in December 2015.  All Squad Leaders are required to speaking English in SL comms and communicate effectively.
With this particular event my experience leads me to believe that that your Squad Leaders were not communicating effectively, I draw this conclusion from the basis that it was not just one or two players calling you out, but the whole team was complaining, add the fact that the team had lost by 300+ tickets for three rounds, and regular trusted players were also supporting the claim made by the public players that the Spanish Squads were not communicating.  A message was broadcast reminding ALL players that English and effective communication is required in SL channel.  Two players were then banned for xenophobic comments regarding the Spanish squads, then a further six players were banned for side chat abuse after three warnings were issued not to use side chat, one further player was banned for using side chat to call the admin a racist.

• All nationalities are welcome on the server.
  • English must be used in SL comms channel and SLs must communicate with the team.
  • Side chat abuse, ie the excessive use of side chat is not tolerated.
  • When admin warning are issued they are followed up with bans for non complaint players.
  • We never answer to calls for 'admin online?'
  • We never explain bans during LIVE games, except to offer that statement that - All bans are appealable via discord.
  • All bans are appealable via discord.

I would like you to carefully consider the nature of your grievance - EXODUS servers are not and will never be Xenopobic / racist / or discriminatory.  Players on the server seemed to have a genuine grievance to the performance of your Squad leaders and the negative impact they had on gameplay for over three rounds - the situation was dealt with effectively by the admin team once it bubbled over into side chat, multiple bans were issued and an explanation has been provided in this post.

You are welcome to your opinion.  I'm sure many players would disagree.  I've laid the facts bare, have the screenshot evidence, and explained the server administration actions.

I'll finish by saying once more - All players, all nationalities are welcome on the EXODUS servers, but English language and and effictive communication is required in the SL comms channel.  You lie in the bed you make, and a situation was seemingly created by your Spanish community SLs on the server that lead to an out of control situation, that required excessive admin action to resolve.

Here a link to the EXODUS discord for any players wishing to appeal bans.  #admin_contact

@LaFuria  Hello - If you had taken the time to read the server rules before entering the server you would know EXODUS runs a zero zero tollerance policy.  All bans are perma, we never warn, and we never kick.  All players receive their only an warning when entering the server via the server message:

Welcome to EXODUS... Full server rules at www.exodus-uk.com

I am genuinely sorry for your communities experience on the server, but you are no different to any other players.  Zero tollerance.  Please take time to read server rules.  And once again, all bans are appealable via discord.

Thanks for the response @chronic

I'm speaking for myself in this post. I want to make clear that our complaint was not for the bans (i say on our post that people of both sides are kicked, and i understand it) But of course, the ban @LaFuria gets for asking for an explanation is completely out of place. If you read my post carefully, which i'm sure you did judging from all the info you answer with,  the thing that got us really worried was the apparent passivity from admins on the moment of harassment. SInce noone said anything after some time, we saw appropriate to intervene regardless your warnings, and i'm sure we would do it again, and i still think we must, as anyone who gets involved in a situation like that.

I must say the only thing i dissagree with you is that the problem was with our SL communication, he does communicate a lot and made us, in that same game, remain in silence in order to talk to other squad leaders a lot of times. We understand people could have got mad because our gameplay that moment, but that is not an excuse to act as they did against every spanish born on earth. We still think we were on our right to defend ourselves. Only one person complained about our language, and that was a squad member who didn't know the rules (we CAN speak spanish in our squad) so i'm pretty sure it was not the subject of discussion that day.

We really hope you take into account what happened and cut it from the begining the next time it happens.

Thanks.

Edited by OssOr

I have to say this and get this off my chest. Was the so-called abuse really abuse? or just banter? We live in a snowflake world now, where feeling are hurt at the slightest thing and smelly SJW's ruin everything. We all have to be politically correct, can't say this, shouldn't say that.  Isn't the word 'Spaniard' now offensive? shouldn't it be 'Spanish'?

I for one grew up in a generation where it doesn't matter (Im 45) I don't care about people being upset, or crying into their paella, keep your up chin up and be a man, don't let these English idiots affect you, it makes you come across as weak. So the complaints were you had not been communicating, seems the whole side agreed on this, it was not originally about you being Spanish, it was about radios. People aimed at you with slurs just as any other nationality would if the English were on a Spanish server it would be the same, it's not racism it's what people do. 

Man up, ignore it and keep playing. But by all means, challenge your bans, but accept it either way.

Long live the Spanish!

I find the admin on Exodus server to be very fair, you are warned.. warned again.. then pay the price, in essence, it really is your fault.

1 hour ago, chronic said:

With this particular event my experience leads me to believe that that your Squad Leaders were not communicating effectively, I draw this conclusion from the basis that it was not just one or two players calling you out, but the whole team was complaining, add the fact that the team had lost by 300+ tickets for three rounds, and regular trusted players were also supporting the claim made by the public players that the Spanish Squads were not communicating.

I agree that it wasn't my best game but first of all, I think it was my first game as Squad Leader and my second game in the server that night but it wasn't our third game at all. They didn't loose 3 games by our fault, maybe they weren't playing as good as they thought.
Secondly, I have to say that at the beggining I was organizing my squad, meanwhile 2 o 3 squads decided to take their own strategy saying nothing in the SL channel, so I decided to take my own strategy too. I decided to rush and slow down the enemy progress but it didn't work as I expected because we arrived late. Then the complaints arrived and the other squad leaders started to shout in the squad leader channel.
First of all, My english is not so good as I would like and if someone start to speak fast and loud, I understand nothing. There should be more patience and tolerance with no english speakers.
Secondly, as we do not speak an English as good as we would like, the messages should be clear and concise. "Help me in this position" "attack / defend village" or something similar. Do not tell me your personal life, because the more you talk, the less I understand.
And finally, If someone is blaming and shouting me, I have the no answer policy too.

To sum up, we ALWAYS try to teamplay but if the other squads do not help us with the communication we can't communicate as good as we would like.

As you can see, I know how to speak English. I'm sure that it isn't the best shakespeare´s language but I try it.

I see what you mean @Para. I agree with you in that part where we live in a snowflake world, i often say it myself. But this time it was true and we felt like that. It is when this happens to you (us in this case) you realize the impotence feeling, and it's not a nice feeling, i assure you.

And i repeat, the bans are the lesser of our complaints. Yes, we deserved the bans because the warnings were there and it's a fact.

We are ok, just wanted to let people know an injustice. This doesn't prevent us from going back to play squad and enjoy the game and our lives. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by OssOr

May I ask why the Spanish players play on English servers.

I ask this for I don't play on non english speaking servers, not as a xenophobic player, but for I don't feel I can be effective player. Communications are vital, and your always be the target for losing. Players always look for and excuse to blame other, more than enjoying the game. Even the forum is getting it's own laguage separation, its not a perfect world.

Hooe you have a better experience elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Smee said:

May I ask why the Spanish players play on English servers.

I ask this for I don't play on non english speaking servers, not as a xenophobic player, but for I don't feel I can be effective player. Communications are vital, and your always be the target for losing. Players always look for and excuse to blame other, more than enjoying the game. Even the forum is getting it's own laguage separation, its not a perfect world.

Hooe you have a better experience elsewhere.

Maybe because there are not any Spanish server.

I have spent almost 200h playing squad on many servers as QFF, RIP, French and German servers and I have never got any problem with the language or for being an spanish citizen.

@Smee i can't believe you are asking this, but i'll reply anyway. There are NO spanish servers because it seems so far we are not a very big community. Does it mean we shpuldn't play at all or maybe just limit ourselves to 5 v 5 because we don't have the power to move hundreds of Spanish speaking people to come play squad?

To peace of your mind we paid a new Spnaish server yesterday and started testing it, because it seems because people with thoughts like yours are starting to make things harder and harder.

Please close this thread mods? They have been answered by the server owner. This discussion is both pointless and stupid.

Congrats on the new server.

Didn't say you shouldn't  play, just find it amazing there isn't Spanish servers, it's one of the world's most spoken languages.. 

Please use the discord of the community to have further conversation´s about this.

/closed