Loving the update except for the mortar spam. Playing on Sumari Bala, my team was holding down a mid-point flag the whole game. Whilst doing so, we came under heavy mortar fire. Spamming mortar fire. We would be getting shelled almost every minute or so. Would really love if you guys could please limit the use of mortar ammo resupply in back-cap flags/spawn areas

Mortars: Nature's Victim or Menace

a response by  Don Ghet Morone

I think we all have to accept that mortars are what they are. On the outside they may only appear to be mere tubes at angle with the ground. Held errect by another simple metallic prop. But really we must dive deeper gentlemen. What is it at it's essence!? Where did come from? What did it do to venture to our fields?! Was it birthed by others of its likeness in some foreign land? Perhaps genetically altered from something else? NO I SAY! My colleagues, it was created by mortal hands! For there are inscriptions and markings upon it! Alarming, yes, i know. After many hours I have concluded that is indeed the truth!

Now we ask, what purpose does it posses!? What is it capable of!? What does it desire? After a long day of pondering and study of its use, we can concluded that is in fact.... Dangerous! And must be respected! Like a loaded weapon or a bomb, which it indeed is liken to. My dear sirs, It is in its nature to KILL! Not its own but our kind!

Would you, sir, blame a bird for flying or a rhino for doing what rhinos do? Of course you would not dare to! To do otherwise would be absurd! Unfortunately it is the natural state of our such subject to piss and harass those under its influence! Sir what you suggest brother featherstone is to blame it for its nature. Like my therapist says, "that is not correct in thinking". Perhaps sir you misjudged it's purpose, if so I understand. I will have you know that I too have recoiled by its un-gentlemanly slap! It was made to do these things to those already under the threat of death! Vile and disgusting!  You are not alone brother featherStone, I hear your cry for this menace in the wild to be punished! Harnessed and muzzled for its crimes! But, that sir, to my findings, is indeed in its nature. Which we can not attribute blame for, as we have concluded. Does it loath what it has been constructed to do? Does it cry in pain at its actions? I do not know. But to attribute that blame you speak of would be wrong and cruel on our part.

I have listened to your terrible tale and I own a similar experience earlier today as well. I was part of one such squad as yourself. Naively prancing over the crest of barren hills. Frolicking under the gay middle-eastern sun. Thought ourselves so powerful and swift in our advance. Hiding in foreign bushes, we awaited prey to drift into view. And not long it was did we sit there in our battlement suits, sweating with spry grins on our faces that we spied one drifting from its herd. Our unwise leader bade us to slay! Immediately we fell the innocent with one violent blast! And with unbridled glee we moved away from our bushes towards the downed creature. Upon close inspection t'was a poor russian making its way to the oasis for an afternoon mud bath. Then without warning, only mere seconds after the violent deed was done! Before our tender idiotic hearts knew what was upon us, we were flopping and clapping! Cursing and Screaming! Uttering insults of our foolish leader who lead us into the vile trap!

After such tragedy, I alone hence devoted my day to investigating the event. Which we now can be put at ease to. Yes It is deadly. Yes it was made by mortal hands. Its intentions? To kill. But can we blame it brothers, for what it has done in our fields? NO, no i say for that would be absurd.

I wish you, my colleagues, brighter days. With this knowledge and a growing understanding of the subject I hope we may avoid it. And use our minds to counteract its rude behavior. But not with a cheap muzzle sirs or over-unlicensed hunting. No. Let it live and grow. If it chooses to stay with us let us respect it like the bomb or gun that it is.

Get your silly cahboose's indoors and stop screwing around out in the open. 

Thank you

Edited by madcat768

3 hours ago, FeatherSton3 said:

Loving the update except for the mortar spam. Playing on Sumari Bala, my team was holding down a mid-point flag the whole game. Whilst doing so, we came under heavy mortar fire. Spamming mortar fire. We would be getting shelled almost every minute or so. Would really love if you guys could please limit the use of mortar ammo resupply in back-cap flags/spawn areas

suck it up princess

Then find good cover and don't wander out into the open, or push off the objective to better cover as the kill radius on mortars isn't that wide. Played a match earlier today in Yehorivka where my squad was taking loads of mortar fire at storage site, and to be completely honest it was a pretty amazing thing to see and experience in- game. 

Pretty sure you're not getting any sort of spam. Just means a couple of mortars actually managed to place accurate fire on your position and you should probably move and not just sit in one locale. I'd also advice sending someone to go kill those mortar if they're troublesome enough. 

40mmrain   

Go find the mortar crews. There's nowhere to hide on such tiny maps.

Mortars are definitely not overpowered, I was running very efficient mortar crews today, firing salvos as fast as I could supply the tubes, while constantly asking for fire missions, and how to correct. My gunners were even using the mortar calculator script, which helps a lot. Despite all the optimization we were getting maybe 15 incaps per round, which isn't all that much.

Edited by 40mmrain

Rybec   

The only people who have problems with mortars are the ones who sit still long enough to get hit by them.

1 hour ago, winterfell said:

im sure US soldiers in Iraq also complained about mortar spam 

haha, hey i was in your squad today!

Flat896   

Mortars take 20s from launch to impact, so the only way you're gonna get hit is by sitting still. Wanna stop the mortars? Kill the forward observer or find the FOB the mortars are based out of.

Nikko B   

Loving the mortar system, and I don't feel it's spammy. You're protected indoors, and it makes the enemy vacate the immediate fire zone, which allows you to push into a cap point or super fob. 

suds   

regardless of gameplay the noise is just annoying. I haven't been killed by mortar yet although I definitely should have been. The constant noise in Sumari made the whole time being in there unpleasant. Perhaps the smaller maps shouldn't have mortars.

Not sure how to fix it but it is reducing enjoyment through ear bashing.

7 hours ago, suds said:

regardless of gameplay the noise is just annoying. I haven't been killed by mortar yet although I definitely should have been. The constant noise in Sumari made the whole time being in there unpleasant. Perhaps the smaller maps shouldn't have mortars.

Not sure how to fix it but it is reducing enjoyment through ear bashing.

to my limited military knowlege mortars are loud, guns are loud too and their explosions are  much much smaller. The military doesn't use silencers so that people know that some where else other people are trying to kill each other. I doubt the military will ever create silencers for mortars. The exploding part after being launched, I dont know how they would make that quieter. They do however have earplugs which is f11 in arma3. I think that is a bit much but maybe they will add those. I heard mortars alot yesterday as well, I am not bothered by them. Hope to hear more tonight.

Edited by madcat768

blayas   

In the PR, in addition to the need for supplies, a "physical" transfer of  supply boxes to mortar  through  ammunition bags is also required. This requires the work of a dedicated squadron, as well as driving at a more realistic pace of operation.
To see this in Squad, I believe only when he has his "physical" supply system formulated.

suds   

@blayas could help, yes.

@madcat768 i am not suggesting it is not realistic, just sucks to have a game which is less enjoyable because of a sound effect. Above all else, the point of a game is enjoyment. 

I don't like to complain without suggesting a solution...

Perhaps the constant loud noises could be suppressed as in your natural response of reducing sensitivity. While constant and loud noises are active, and for a short time after, other sound levels could be suppressed. For the constant noises, perhaps there could be some fade out which simulated your own natural filtering or automatic inclusion of frequency specify earplugs which allowed other sounds to still reach you as normal.

BLITZA   

Mortar spam is due to them being new, and the only powerful deployable we have right now.

Once we have tank crews, AA, transport helo's etc then there will be 1 or 2 mortar's operating, rather than 4 or 6 we have now.

banOkay   

I'm guessing they're this unlimited for the sake of testing. In the future I expect limitations/ improvements like max 3 mortars, manual resupplying, reduced fire-rate, different ammo types, better markers and distances etc.

BLITZA   

If a team decides to pump 2 squads/10 players/constant logi supplies into mortars then they will suffer elsewhere. They have only been released for a few days. like @banOkay said above, once the balance is tested there may be limitations put in place.

But in all honesty, if a team is putting a lot of emphasis on mortar positions it means less people working the objectives. Firepower en-mass doesn't always = effective firepower.  

Edited by BLITZA

Cavazos   

What's the problem? I love when the enemy mortars my position. That means enemy infantry can't move in! It's like having a nice invisible shield protecting you!

What's that? You keep dying? Don't you know what cover is? Double stack those sandbags and make yourself a fighting hole!

Edited by Cavazos

SgtRoss   
1 hour ago, banOkay said:

I'm guessing they're this unlimited

They are not, they are just easier to resupply on small maps though and it might feel that way sometimes. 

embecmom   
1 hour ago, Cavazos said:

What's the problem? I love when the enemy mortars my position. That means enemy infantry can't move in! It's like having a nice invisible shield protecting you!

What's that? You keep dying? Don't you know what cover is? Double stack those sandbags and make yourself a fighting hole!

just turns into a mortar fest.. its not realistic and its not fun.. unlimited ammo on small maps is just horrible..  not sure you can even dig the things down (been unable to )... and dont say its not unlimited because they need to be supplied.. .. small map sitting 2 minutes ride away from base makes them pretty unlimited ammo... personally think they should only be available on larger maps where supply could turn into an issue.  constant barage is just soul destroyingly annoying

obviously will have many of the 'founders' who seem to think they have some god given right to insult/put down or otherwise dismiss any suggestion by others spinning on their forum badges in sheer frenzy of WTF!

Edited by embecmom