After some time in the firing range as well as live multiplayer combat I have come to find using certain projectile weapons, especially those with heavy projectile trajectory arcs (and relatively lower velocities), to be difficult to utilize effectively and consistently at range. I have seen many threads about weapon zeroing and can tell that a lot (if not all) of the small arms in this game are zeroed to a reasonable distance. However for anti-tank roles there seems to be no built-in zeroing, which greatly limits the ability of the operator to obtain a clear sight picture before firing at longer distances.

I haven't been following developer comments about real-time zeroing for players in-game, but I would like to suggest a hard-coded rocket propelled grenade launcher zeroing of at least 100 meters (preferably 150 to 200) in order to improve operator quality of life. I am aware Squad is not aiming to be as close to realism/simulation as the Arma series, but I believe it would be reasonable to ask for the ability to see your target before pulling the trigger when engaging within the weapon's real-world effective range.

46 minutes ago, electronicsharts said:

After some time in the firing range as well as live multiplayer combat I have come to find using certain projectile weapons, especially those with heavy projectile trajectory arcs (and relatively lower velocities), to be difficult to utilize effectively and consistently at range. I have seen many threads about weapon zeroing and can tell that a lot (if not all) of the small arms in this game are zeroed to a reasonable distance. However for anti-tank roles there seems to be no built-in zeroing, which greatly limits the ability of the operator to obtain a clear sight picture before firing at longer distances.

I haven't been following developer comments about real-time zeroing for players in-game, but I would like to suggest a hard-coded rocket propelled grenade launcher zeroing of at least 100 meters (preferably 150 to 200) in order to improve operator quality of life. I am aware Squad is not aiming to be as close to realism/simulation as the Arma series, but I believe it would be reasonable to ask for the ability to see your target before pulling the trigger when engaging within the weapon's real-world effective range.

As mentioned in the 9.4 notes they nerfed the rockets so my instinct shots were way short but I got used to it pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, electronicsharts said:

Don't forget but all sight pictures will change with the animation update down the road. Just need to be patient till then. 

I like the idea of someday seeing the PGO7 for the RPG.

16 hours ago, Fandango831 said:

Don't forget but all sight pictures will change with the animation update down the road. Just need to be patient till then. 

Any preliminary info you can link to me? I am curious what this means for gameplay.

1 hour ago, electronicsharts said:

Any preliminary info you can link to me? I am curious what this means for gameplay.

Only slight mentions on Reddit. No major outlines of what those exact changes will be other than sights will be changing with the dedicated 1P animations. 

17 hours ago, Fandango831 said:

But the guys who want to usw Strykers as MBTs and drive them straight into the objective and moan when AT blows them up? They don't have to wait for the rockets to get a big nerf, eh?

1 minute ago, Valdr said:

But the guys who want to usw Strykers as MBTs and drive them straight into the objective and moan when AT blows them up? They don't have to wait for the rockets to get a big nerf, eh?

What do you mean by that? AT hasn't been nerfed minus the trajectory change which is pretty easy to compensate for otherwise they still kill as they did before. So I don't see your point. 

Just now, Fandango831 said:

What do you mean by that? AT hasn't been nerfed minus the trajectory change which is pretty easy to compensate for otherwise they still kill as they did before. So I don't see your point. 

I dunno, I guess I have this crazy idea that it's bit harder to hit a target when the entire thing has to be covered by the base of the weapons sights. If it's an APC just sitting in the middle of a field, that's one thing. If its a smart crew only exposing what parts they have to, you have very little margin of error and you are firing at a target you can't even see once you start adjusting for range.

8 minutes ago, Valdr said:

I dunno, I guess I have this crazy idea that it's bit harder to hit a target when the entire thing has to be covered by the base of the weapons sights. If it's an APC just sitting in the middle of a field, that's one thing. If its a smart crew only exposing what parts they have to, you have very little margin of error and you are firing at a target you can't even see once you start adjusting for range.

I kind of see your point but at the same time if they are well covered it should be hard to hit them. If a Stryker only exposes its CROW then I mean trying to hit that with an RPG at range should be pretty difficult. However to compensate for how hard the shot is for an RPG gunner I could see where landing a sweet shot should disable whatever the hit component is like if you do manage to hit the CROW it should be disabled until repaired at a repair station. 

In terms of RPG sights i'm sure they'll improve to a degree with upcoming updates.   

13 minutes ago, Fandango831 said:

I kind of see your point but at the same time if they are well covered it should be hard to hit them. If a Stryker only exposes its CROW then I mean trying to hit that with an RPG at range should be pretty difficult. However to compensate for how hard the shot is for an RPG gunner I could see where landing a sweet shot should disable whatever the hit component is like if you do manage to hit the CROW it should be disabled until repaired at a repair station. 

In terms of RPG sights i'm sure they'll improve to a degree with upcoming updates.   

Oh, yeah, obviously that is the entire point of taking cover. But I just think ironsight LAT was balanced well enough before, if the vehicle crew was playing smart and using a combination of cover and distance. I have no problem with having to adjust my aim in relation to a target, but it's a lot easier to learn it as "How much above the target do I need to place the crosshair?" rather than "Which tree branch or cloud do I need to use as a point of reference so my shot lands on the thing I can't see?"

36 minutes ago, Valdr said:

Oh, yeah, obviously that is the entire point of taking cover. But I just think ironsight LAT was balanced well enough before, if the vehicle crew was playing smart and using a combination of cover and distance. I have no problem with having to adjust my aim in relation to a target, but it's a lot easier to learn it as "How much above the target do I need to place the crosshair?" rather than "Which tree branch or cloud do I need to use as a point of reference so my shot lands on the thing I can't see?"

I get that but RPGs and LAWs don't have brilliant range. From getting to fire ones in good condition in Thailand and ones in crap condition in Afghanistan I can say the 9.4 trajectories are significantly more accurate of what it's like to use and RPG or even a LAW. I'd think what weapons systems you're wanting are more along the lines of recoilless rifles like the M2CG which has very little drop off over long ranges compared to fin stabilized rockets.  

2 hours ago, Valdr said:

We all know exactly what you mean and how annoying it can seem. With the animation system there will be ranging sights to use when firing rocket launchers/UBGLs. For now use your vehicles, teamwork, flanking, and *mortars* to take out hidden armor.

Edited by Catindabox

6 hours ago, Fandango831 said:

I get that but RPGs and LAWs don't have brilliant range. From getting to fire ones in good condition in Thailand and ones in crap condition in Afghanistan I can say the 9.4 trajectories are significantly more accurate of what it's like to use and RPG or even a LAW. I'd think what weapons systems you're wanting are more along the lines of recoilless rifles like the M2CG which has very little drop off over long ranges compared to fin stabilized rockets.  

Ah... I kind of thought you understood but I'll explain a bit better: I do not have a problem with the trajectory of the projectile. I am fully aware of the fact that they are not at all top-of-the-line weaponry. It's Soviet technology, the idea is to be cheap and simple and to get it into many hands. My problem is more the fact that even insurgents tend to have the optics they came with, and even if they have ironsights they have the ability to be zeroed to different ranges. Yes, I know that this is coming in the future, and now we wrap around to my original point of why we are nerfing RPGs now instead of when we get proper sights.

51 minutes ago, Valdr said:

Ah... I kind of thought you understood but I'll explain a bit better: I do not have a problem with the trajectory of the projectile. I am fully aware of the fact that they are not at all top-of-the-line weaponry. It's Soviet technology, the idea is to be cheap and simple and to get it into many hands. My problem is more the fact that even insurgents tend to have the optics they came with, and even if they have ironsights they have the ability to be zeroed to different ranges. Yes, I know that this is coming in the future, and now we wrap around to my original point of why we are nerfing RPGs now instead of when we get proper sights.

I gotcha. Then yes to your last point it's all a matter of patience friend. Also I'm unsure if we'll ever see optics for the RPG. I'd love to see the PGO in game however not until the US and future British units receives a more balanced LAT that makes up for the ranging advantage of optic assisted AT.