ZonkyTheDonkey

Mortars - A Beginner's Guide - Death from Above

Here is a more indepth video guide of what I cover below - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0wuJp2C68&feature=youtu.be

The Mortar has finally been brought to us in update 9.4. In this video I'll be giving you a tutorial on how to effectively operate the mortar. The mortar comes in 81/82 mm variants depending on which faction you're in and is available to ALL factions in Squad.

The mortar can only be used within a FOB and must be emplaced by the squad leader costing 300 construction points. There is a maximum of two mortars per FOB - every mortar

comes preloaded with a "magazine" of 3 rounds and each magazine from there costs 90 ammo points. This means logistics support is crucial for FOBS to keep mortars firing throughout the game. You can fire approximately 33 rounds from a FOB before needing resupply.

In regards to aiming, your squadleader must place an observe/move marker on the map to give you an accurate range and direction. Man the mortar using "F" and right click to aim down sights. Use the chart on the left to set the mils and use the mark on your compass wheel from your squad leads marker to align yourself with the target. Keep in mind you will need to adjust for your elevation, or the elevation of the target to get accurate rounds right away.

Firing one round at a time works best for me so far - that way your spotter can give you accurate corrections, there is still a significant cone of fire to the mortar, but it's nothing like the rocket technical, not even close. Once you get on target, you'll often hear the command "fire for effect" which means keep dumping rounds until the threat is eliminated.

I really feel the mortar opens up the game SO much. It allows teams to severely punish FOBS that are put on flags, or put on hard to breach positions. I'll be doing some more advanced guides in the future once I figure out some effective strategies to use consistently such as FOB placement, etc.

Can we formalize what terms we'll be using for those of us who prefer to do this? (I just had an amazing 30 man kill game using basically all Mortars btw)

To keep it short:

Firing your Ranging Shot

Shot Out - to indicate you've fired

Watch for Splash (or "Splash Out") - to indicate shot is landing soon (mental count or stop watch)

Adjustment

Increase (25, 50, 75, etc.)

Decrease (25, 50, 75, etc.)

Left/Right (Degrees)

If you hit the desired target or location

Fire for Effect - Should be the response from the Observer

Copy, Firing for Effect - Your response for the Observer calling a good hit.

edit: for me personally, I'm fairly good at judgement with these things, like the M203 or GP25, I just kinda have a feel for where it needs to go, so for me, vague adjustment isn't ever too much of an issue.

Edited by Hessmix

I tend to use "increase 100", "decrease 75" etc. To relay the adjustment of mortars that are too short or overshoot. If you only tell your gunner that he is too short he will not know how much to compensate for. I also think 4 man is enough for a mortar team, 2 gunners; 1 logidriver and 1 SL acting as spotter. Militia/insurgents could prob use a 5th since that guy can fetch the scout kit to do spotting and place mines/IEDs

Edited by Kylen
Added info

4 hours ago, Hessmix said:

Can we formalize what terms we'll be using for those of us who prefer to do this? (I just had an amazing 30 man kill game using basically all Mortars btw)

Useful terms:

ADJUST FIRE - used when exact target location is not certain

FIRE FOR EFFECT - used when there is a known target at an exact location

SUPPRESS - used to force the enemy to seek cover, displace, or prevent them from firing

IMMEDIATE SUPPRESSION - used to indicate friendlies in direct fire contact with the enemy

GRID - Grid coordinate to follow ("GRID Kilo 6, KEYPAD 2 POINT 5")

KEYPAD - Keypad follows

POINT - Subkeypad follows

SHOT - Transmitted for each round fired for adjustment

SPLASH - trasnmitted when rounds are 5 seconds from detonation

ROUNDS COMPLETE - signifies the number of rounds specified have been fired (if more than 1).

DANGER CLOSE - rounds will impact very near friendlies (IRL it is 600 meters, but that would be always in Squad so it would be pointless to define it this way, maybe rounds that will land within 100m? 200m?)

AT MY COMMAND - Aim and prepare to fire, but wait for the observer's command to fire.

FIRE - commence firing

CHECK FIRING - battery must immediately halt firing. Usually because the safety of friendly units is in question.

REPEAT - repeat the last fire-for-effect mission, changes in number of rounds, etc. can be requested

ADD - increase impact range by this many meters

DROP - decrease impact range by this many meters

LEFT/RIGHT - adjust impact left right by this many meters

DIRECTION - the direction to reference adjustments off of, usually given in mils, but in Squad it would be degrees.

Edited by Crowmium

3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

@Crowmium Can you provide the source of this? I know most of these but some of are slightly different.

FM 6-30 is the field manual for forward observation procedures. 

Technichally the observer should give corrections based on his direction btw. If I'm facing my mortars an add correction would be lowering the range.  This may seem confusing but it's way easier for the mortar guy who's not getting shot to do the math than the FO

9 hours ago, Edward said:

FM 6-30 is the field manual for forward observation procedures. 

Technichally the observer should give corrections based on his direction btw. If I'm facing my mortars an add correction would be lowering the range.  This may seem confusing but it's way easier for the mortar guy who's not getting shot to do the math than the FO

That is what I was looking for. Thanks.