9 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Anybody know if the elevation of the target / mortar effects the range required? By elevation I mean height above sea level. Not really tested things out much myself yet but the calculator I used on the range worked pretty well. However the targets I was aiming at were at the same height / elevation as the mortar. Just want to know if I need to be compensating for it in the range.

Assuming real world physics it certainly should. It did matter in PR as well but they put elevation difference in the calculator there. The higher the mortars are the further they can shoot, the lower the less. So if your target is above you you will need to shoot further than on level ground and if if it's below you you will shorten the range needed.

26 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Anybody know if the elevation of the target / mortar effects the range required? By elevation I mean height above sea level. Not really tested things out much myself yet but the calculator I used on the range worked pretty well. However the targets I was aiming at were at the same height / elevation as the mortar. Just want to know if I need to be compensating for it in the range.

it sure does have an effect, but since there is no map elevation data available, you can only manually compensate for height difference. Might think of some simple rule of thumb here, like every +10m (target.height - mortar.height) you add +5m to range or something like that. The effect will be more obvious the shallower trajectory of the shot is.

Was just about to ask the same, if someone had played around with elevation difference already. Lack of elevation data on the map is a bit of problem indeed.
ACE3 does it like this: https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/mk6mortar.html

If I remember that rangetable correctly, 100m of elevation difference is just a few mills difference in elevation, assuming similar ballistics. Most maps don't have that much elevation difference in the terrain, Kohat the one with the most I think.

Posted (edited)
On 02. 05. 2017. at 0:56 PM, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

A much easier way is to get SL to put a green marker on the target then just look at your compass to figure out the distance so you can convert to elevation MM, and just line up the marker on your compass to get direction.

If you don't want to miss your target by hundreds (yes, hundreds, not dozens) of meters I would advise all not to use compass marker distance.

Thank you for this we really appreciate that, it will be tested out! 

Edited by Rainmaker

So yeah tested it on pc worked fine now i wanted to move a step further and copy & pasted it into Qpyhton (for android) to get it to work on my smartphone but i get this error:590a7978b4713_2017-05-0400_40_43.thumb.png.134484427c54d8da5aea6ec039c6dca6.png

looks like missing modules???  well i think my coding skills are preety much non existent any ideas?

hi guys!
do you think is it possible to translate this code in Javascript or make form that I can use in html?
if it is possible I can put some Css and make this responsive for all devices.

Kinda takes the Communicate and Coordinate parts out of Squad the more independent you're making the mortars.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Germanfragger said:

So yeah tested it on pc worked fine now i wanted to move a step further and copy & pasted it into Qpyhton (for android) to get it to work on my smartphone but i get this error:590a7978b4713_2017-05-0400_40_43.thumb.png.134484427c54d8da5aea6ec039c6dca6.png

looks like missing modules???  well i think my coding skills are preety much non existent any ideas?

You can use the script also in your smartphone browser, did you try that? And you can use it with the steam-overlay browser, just set it as your homepage for easy access.

Edited by Maggiefix

Posted (edited)

@PolishKruk @bravo2zero Cheers guys. That's my thoughts exactly. So even with the best calculator we are still going to end up with a best estimate if mortar/ target are at different heights. I like that it will still require spotters to bring them in on target.

It's such a shame the devs are not doing proper military based maps where we can see a good elevation estimate. Bet they never thought about that one when they went all fancy.

One thing I did notice was strange was the spread of three identically aimed shots. They impact with a similar spread at 100m as they do at 1000m. It's like the trajectory is calculated and then a random spread added to the impact point.

Edited by Major Trouble
Extra comment

Posted (edited)

made a small "quality of life" update to v3 of my Calc. For someone using it on tablet, it takes time to switch between keyboard and number layouts and add spaces or dashes, so now you have support for "ARTY" coords (name is my invention :D not yet copyrighted). So instead of "A4K5K6" you can just give "ARTY", which is how secondary number keys look like on my screen keyboard: 

Q - 1

W - 2
E - 3
R - 4

O - 9

Note: Z and Y are both "6" for English and German layouts ;)

Edited by bravo2zero

15 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

It's such a shame the devs are not doing proper military based maps where we can see a good elevation estimate. Bet they never thought about that one when they went all fancy.

We already know how to do proper topographic maps, we just haven't gotten around to it yet since we want a pipeline that doesn't require us to spend 20 hours each release cycle to update them, and we have bigger fish to fry atm.

1 hour ago, Motherdear said:

We already know how to do proper topographic maps, we just haven't gotten around to it yet since we want a pipeline that doesn't require us to spend 20 hours each release cycle to update them, and we have bigger fish to fry atm.

Well that's great to hear. Looking forward to seeing it all come together. It's an epic journey and a good insight into the development cycle. Thanks.

@Maggiefix

don't have my tablet with me, but something similar:

Android_L_Keyboard_ScreenShot_01.png

so, ARTY comes in handy when you don't want to waste time holding one of "qwertyuiop" keys or switching to number keyboard

Posted (edited)

Ah okay thats nice. But there is a range of different android and ios keyboards (switfkey, gboard), so that maybe more of a personal feature tailored for a specific keyboard? Voice input would be cool though :D

Thats how my keyboard looks:

k4mWUD1.jpg

Edited by Maggiefix

It's funny that people have already done this, I spent a number of hours tonight getting my own mortar calculator up:

http://squadcalc.com

I haven't been able to test everything out yet (and I need to add in error for the bearing/compass). It's funny that people in this thread were thinking about the same problems I have just been thinking about! For the milliradian interpolation I was wondering whether to do some type of splines, or to just have some lines between the milliradian points. I ended up using a high order polynomial (7 or 8, probably too tight of a fit).

Estimated travel time sounds like a cool idea, not sure how to do that yet. The only way I can think of doing that is to set up a mortar on the range and to time (with a stopwatch) the time between firing the mortar and the time it hits the ground, and then to fit a polynomial to the resulting curve.

I think I'll try that out tonight

Posted (edited)
On 4.5.2017. at 9:15 AM, Rybec said:

Kinda takes the Communicate and Coordinate parts out of Squad the more independent you're making the mortars.

Just had a great round with couple of cool squaddies using calculator in pub game! I was acting as forward observer and gave back info of hits. It was very team oriented with nice communications going on. Good times! :)

So I would say that these things add more to communication, not less. At first, i tried to adjust fire by giving relative correction. Tried with mils/bearings and later on, 50m increment. It wasn't useful and we couldn't cooperate. Squad member (SilentKiwi) suggested just to send new whole coords as correction with added subkey to existing one on map. It was great. Clean and quick in public round. Great addition to squad. Thanks to everyone involved for these things.

Hope it will get into squad as official tool to use ingame.

Edited by Disco

that calculator as an android app would be great

There is an web version which works very good in a smartphone browser. I linked it in the first post where you can also find the excellent version by loff.