JPEL2058

Soldier career

Even though we don't want another BF, I still think it would be nice to have "a career" in the game. I would suggest that the unlocks/improvments one would get would be more like in WoT or AW, rather than like in BF. Say you could increase your stamina by 3% after a number of hours played - you definitely have done your cardio by then. Same for accuracy etc.

Welcome to the familia...

Sorry mate but i totally disagree with you,the main reason most folk's love Squad is because we haven't got all those stupid gimmicks like Powerups/Unlocks/rocketpacks etc etc like the rest of this bollox titles BF/COD /..

In Squad we're all equal,only skill and working as a team Wins the day.

you know the red orchestra 2 leveling system ?

would be fitting good into squad in my opinion. you gather xp with your weapons and can rank them for some things like bayonets or greater mags.

i love that system, was very motivating.

would it even like if you cant earn anything in the end

i disagree. Keeping track of your overall number of times you've played a certain role, kills, revives ect i think would be more of a fit in this game. But even pinning medals on those, like mile marker achievements, i feel it would just encourage people to do their own thing away from their squad more than it would aid in the squad's cohesion.

When you unlock everything what then? Just play the game? You have 3% more stamina over the noobs but what does that really do for anyone? You unlock "trivial" personal goals. Does that system say team work or lone wolf more? It gives players the goal of unlocking things for themselves over playing as a team during the game. Oh wait i have to get another rpg kill so i need to leave you guys. It doesnt scream lone wolf but it says lone wolf more than teamwork.

I think that rank in this game is important. Maybe you could do something as simple as look at a player's steam hours in game.  Then you could not allow players to be a squad leader until a certain rank. Then people would know if they are joining a squad with someone experienced. 

Edited by AlphaSquad

hasn't this been discussed to death already?

search "ranking" in All Forums: first page = 12 threads, of which at least 3 mention dealing with unexperienced players (the "not allow players to be a squad leader until a certain rank" thing, amongst others).

ANY Ranking, Unlock, Perk, Bonus, Prize, Leveling systems WILL (and ONLY) encourage Me-Me-Me player menatlity, and at that point you WILL wave goodbye to anything resembling teamwork.

Edited by LaughingJack

I fully agree on the risks, I'm sure the devs can handle it though. It's just a matter of what to award. As it is now you only gets any decent points when working with your squad. That shouldn't change just also be used for player ranking. I do however think it's important to make sure the improvements are not too big, the game is hard enough to get started with (mostly getting around the different mindset from the AAA titles).

If done correctly I think it could actually promote team play even further.

Edited by JPEL2058

Just going to point out that even IF the devs implemented a no squad lead until x amount of time/rank, even if they hit that requirement you are still stuck with a squad leader that has never or has very little squad lead experience, assuming that said player has never player Project Reality or ArmA or another game that are similar.

There should be no requirement for squad leadership role. You guys are forgetting: What if EVERYONE IS NEW. On last free weekend when i finally bought the game nearly everyone in any squad i joined had no experience. But someone needed to do it and figure things out. If hes a bad SL everyone can leave and start a new squad if he refuses to step down. Or bring it to the attention of an admin. The game has enough tools to fix the problem as it is. Apart from free weekend it might be rare but it can still happen. Lets say the requirement is 10hrs maybe it wont be as rare as people think. 

Now if you want to argue that all of the SLs on your team have no idea what they are doing, then sorry that is a sucky time. You are probably just going to lose. If there isnt an admin hopfully enough ppl will leave their squads, start new ones to have at least 2 decent squads. 

HOURS  =\= GOOD SL 

I would also argue that a brand new player who is a good leader and not new to tactical shooters, is probably better than someone who knows how to play the game but just sucks at being in charge. After people help him with the mechanics I think his squad would do better in the game than that other person. 

Edited by madcat768

For me it's not about SL experience. More about adding another reason to coop by rewarding a good job. I also like being able to track how I'm doing, not just 'map by map results'

I also think it's something the broad market is expecting as it's so common for other titles. More players should be an aim for the whole community.

14 minutes ago, Shieldss said:

All I want is a way to change attachments on my rifle.

I doubt very much you'll get that apart from optics.

On 1/5/2017 at 6:19 PM, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

the main reason most folk's love Squad is because we haven't got all those stupid gimmicks like Powerups/Unlocks/rocketpacks etc etc like the rest of this bollox titles BF/COD /

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Melbo said:

I doubt very much you'll get that apart from optics.

optics + grip + rearsight and perhaps changing magazine size would be awesome.

5 minutes ago, Melbo said:

Yeah no. You get your rifled issued and suck it up!

U.S infantry in Iraq weren't issued bare-bones rifles, contrary to how it is portrayed in Squad.

I'm not saying you'll end up with bare bones just that you'll probably just pick a rifle with a certain optic type which already has realistic attachments, spawn in and get on with it.

I can just imagine it being like missions in Arma or Insurgency that lets people choose their own gear. Everyone is standing about for 30 mins trying to pick the most "tacticool" gear. By the time they're ready the game is already over!

20 minutes ago, Shieldss said:

U.S infantry in Iraq weren't issued bare-bones rifles, contrary to how it is portrayed in Squad.

Actually you are. Literally everyone in my platoon who was using an M4A1 had a grippod, RCO or CCO, and PEQ15 and that was it minus the grenadiers who had M302s and our AR's using SAWs with RCOs. Unless you bought your own attachments and brought them along (which needed to be approved at the company level) you used what you were given. The only things I saw that were "unique" between soldiers was some used STANAGs and some used PMAGs. Also some people had MOE stocks versus the normal MIL stocks. Otherwise most everyone had the same if not similar kit. So SQUAD is reasonably accurate when it comes to unit kits minus maybe a few details here and there. 

Remember when your "rank" in-game was determined by your reputation within the community and not by arbitrary numbers and titles? you know, by playing the game well and being a friendly dude who actively worked to improve and taught others how to do so as well?

Maybe you contributed by being an excellent squad leader or by arranging events. People looked up to you for being you, and not for having a "Level 62" stamp next to your name.

I have fond memories of this, luckily Squad still keeps those alive.

23 hours ago, Melbo said:

Yeah no. You get your rifled issued and suck it up!

still waiting for PEQ-15 boxes on the M4

21 minutes ago, XB0CT said:

still waiting for PEQ-15 boxes on the M4

Bigger fish to fry.

1 minute ago, Melbo said:

Bigger fish to fry.

as long as its on the list

@Fandango831  lol, " The US military issued every soldiers with thermal 8x powered scope laser tomahawks in the iRaq war didnt they, isnt that how they won?

2 minutes ago, chaz69 said:

@Fandango831  lol, " The US military issued every soldiers with thermal 8x powered scope laser tomahawks in the iRaq war didnt they, isnt that how they won?

I'd guess sarcasm?