Zumalacárregui

Squad or CoD w/ Comms?

So I've been playing this game for a little over a month. I'm not a gamer, haven't played a video game for a while. My buddy told me I had to check Squad out because of how realistic the game was and set me up with a GPU. The game is so far phenomenal, however, there seems to be a large number of people who play the game like it's some run and gun shooter. Scratch that, MOST people play the game like a run and gun shooter. I've seen this style of play blamed on the recent free weekend, but I'm not sure I buy that excuse.

For example, I move slowly through cover and quickly in the open, covering flanks and stopping to observe open fields of fire, like real soldiers do, and I get some gamer bitching at me because I didn't rush the enemy with him like John Rambo. I go SL and get bitched at for not rushing the enemy as well. This behavior seems to come from experienced gamers that have strange movie inspired ideas on what constitutes realism.

The whole experience feels like a let down and a waste of money.

Here we have an amazing game that's being utilized in the most unimaginative and ignorant of ways, which pretty much ruins it.

What do others think here?

Is this run and gun style of play really a result of the free weekend?

Today I was in a squad with a guy that jumped on the gun in a HUMVV and said 'I need a driver for the HUMVV' and then started to get annoyed because nobody wanted to drive. I didn't want to drive because I'm not confident enough to take that responsibility as I've only had the game two weeks.

Like you, I prefer the gameplay when you value your life, but it seems to me Squad is too focused on capping flags. 

Some people New & Old do like to go out there and do a wannabe Rambo,but surely your SL should have kicked him (except it was your SL).

Game mechanic's will change in the near future to make this harder to perform. 

You should give others servers a try & look into CCNF where the Big Boys hangout.

Posted (edited)

If people bitch at you in your own squad (you're the SL), politely ask them to find a different squad... if they keep it up, there is a very useful "KICK" button in the squad list. Get rid of people who don't fit your playstyle, foster relationships with those that do, and then you'll have a band of like-minded players to enjoy squad with :) 

It's a very sandbox-y game, just because you don't like a fast pace, doesn't mean other players shouldn't be able to play that way (in their own squads). If the slow-and-careful method is more effective, you'll end up wiping many enemy rushing squads 

Edited by Psyrus

One major thing to understand is that it's a game and different tactics work than what works in real life. The game is very focused around the control points, and sadly, fighting from off the point when the enemies are on the point rarely works to capture the point. A lot of squad leaders that are focused on capping the point will do everything they can to get people on the flag as fast as possible. Others might try to go slow and go in unnoticed. Both methods can work to win the game.

To reiterate, this is just a game. Most people aren't interested in pretending to be completely accurate real life soldiers. If you want to play in a more realistic way, you'll just have to find a squad that plays more slowly and tactically, or lead your own. Also, try joining a clan. Clans typically have private events that can be much more realistic and tactical than a public server game.

To be honest rushing is so stupid. I like to actually sit down and think of a special plan with the team, but most squad leaders nowadays just want to rush and lose it all after 5 minutes.

From our 2 year observation and everyday playing you cannot rely on average public player to follow up on most simple commands, ''hold that house or entrance'', ''dismount/mount up'', ''follow me'', ''throw smoke'', ''suppress the enemy'' etc...

All this might sound simple to you, but when you start to squad lead most people are unable to do this for some reason. What most people do is stay near squads vicinity and thats it. A SL must repeat everything atleast 5 times in order to get it done. In rare cases you might find a few decent people.

Like others have said find a clan, preferably a smaller clan. Typically the biggest clans are garbage in their gameplay. When you find your mates in Squad the game shines. In our unit we actually only play together as its not anymore enjoyable to play with other people because of reasons above. 

And you are right mate. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

whats best for the individual is rarely best for the whole.

suicidal charges are often great at distracting an enemy and creating an opening for your other squad members. Approaching this game as a professional soldier will cause you to lose, approach this game as a cog in the warmaking wheel, where you will probably die and your objective is how to make your death as valuable as possible for your team.

I think what you need is a Milsim community or clan, they have one life events and realistic milsim games. The one that comes to my mind first is "Squad Ops" they normally hang out on their discord here, https://discord.gg/xs6Kwa9  but there is plenty of other milsim clans, you should have a look under the Teams and Clans area, you might find some like minded Squad players :)

I've found that squads with specific names will often fill with mostly like minded players, so add things like "tactical", "mic only", or role specific titles, "logi", "mortar", "fob hunting" will weed out most of the guys who just want to grab a marksman rifle and go solo. 

On 2. 5. 2017 at 9:31 AM, Rainmaker said:

From our 2 year observation and everyday playing you cannot rely on average public player to follow up on most simple commands...

Unfortunately, this probably won't ever change. Squad is a game best enjoyed with a bunch of friends and clanmates, without them you're stuck in public squads - an equivalent of "elo hell" in other games.

That doesn't need to spoil your enjoyment of the game though - there is a limit to how much you can adjust player behavior by gameplay mechanics, but joining a clan is easy. As far as I can tell, most of the clans don't make any demands on your playing time and you're more than likely to meet some pretty awesome people there.

At this point in time because of smart marketing Squad has evolved into something different than the original intentions of the PR crowd. I think Squad is a reflection of the largest core demographic which from my observations consists primarily of 16-30 year old Neet's fresh from playing thousands of hours of Battlefield, COD & CS:GO. Whilst there is the original community of PR players and more mature people like me coming from the Delta Force series plus also ARMA nerds as well there is no going back at this point.

As far as I can tell OWI is a for profit business and not a charity operation so wisely they are evolving the game to appeal to the people with the deepest pockets. Needless to say, those people want to run & gun and have fun and that pardigm appeals to me as well. 

On 2017-5-1 at 8:28 PM, Zumalacárregui said:

So I've been playing this game for a little over a month. I'm not a gamer, haven't played a video game for a while. My buddy told me I had to check Squad out because of how realistic the game was and set me up with a GPU. The game is so far phenomenal, however, there seems to be a large number of people who play the game like it's some run and gun shooter. Scratch that, MOST people play the game like a run and gun shooter. I've seen this style of play blamed on the recent free weekend, but I'm not sure I buy that excuse.

For example, I move slowly through cover and quickly in the open, covering flanks and stopping to observe open fields of fire, like real soldiers do, and I get some gamer bitching at me because I didn't rush the enemy with him like John Rambo. I go SL and get bitched at for not rushing the enemy as well. This behavior seems to come from experienced gamers that have strange movie inspired ideas on what constitutes realism.

The whole experience feels like a let down and a waste of money.

Here we have an amazing game that's being utilized in the most unimaginative and ignorant of ways, which pretty much ruins it.

What do others think here?

Is this run and gun style of play really a result of the free weekend?

You just need to establish a group of friends who want to play Squad, or join one of the many communities/clans.

There you will find team work far more reliably and often on a higher level than pub Squads.

But I have to say, the pub Squads are improving as we have more, stronger SL'ers now leading well.

There's a time to be methodical and a time to go fast. Otherwise there wouldn't be a sprint function in the game.