Hi all,

First time poster here!

I've been playing Squad for about a year now and upgraded my old Radeon 7970 to a new Asus GTX 1080 Strix yesterday.

The card hasn't given any errors or driver issues but I'm only getting about 40-50 fps on most maps.

Al Basrah for example seems particularly taxing and there Im only getting 40fps (showFPS).

What is odd is that my friend who lives in the same neighbourhood with same ISP and line speed running a GTX970 gets 55fps+ on the same map and same server. Granted he's playing at 1080 (with vsync on!), but I can drop my resolution to 1080 from 1440 with everything on low and vsync off yet still only get 40-45fps. 

So 1440 at epic settings with vsync on, or 1080 with everything low and vsync off... same FPS. **scratches head**

I've tried a couple of performance tweaks suggested by people on forums with no real success.

Is the 1080 platforum unoptimised for squad?

Any meaningful input would be appreciated.

My rig:

Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz

32GB RAM

250GB SSD SATA6

ASUS GTX1080 8GB STRIX (using Nvidia latest drivers, not ASUS boxed)

Windows 8.1 x64

Latest OS and system drivers

Edited by Sender_ZA

Notice how when you raised your resolution and graphics settings it made no difference in FPS. This is because your graphics card is fully capable of handling that side of things.

Your bottleneck is in your CPU, which is only at 3.4 GHZ. For best performance, you'd want to be around 4.0 or higher. Of course this all depends on the map, server, and how many people are playing.

27 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

Notice how when you raised your resolution and graphics settings it made no difference in FPS. This is because your graphics card is fully capable of handling that side of things.

Your bottleneck is in your CPU, which is only at 3.4 GHZ. For best performance, you'd want to be around 4.0 or higher. Of course this all depends on the map, server, and how many people are playing.

Yeah I notice most people's default falls either to "buy a new GPU" or "buy a new CPU" without much empirical evidence to support the claim (not that it can't be the case, mind you). 

To test the theory I ran Squad in 1440 on epic in windowed mode on Al Bas. CPU piddled along at 25-35% usage... and still 35-40fps.

----

TROUBLESHOOTING PART 1:

Executed a Squad cache delete: No success
----

Edited by Sender_ZA

Shields   

CPU usage is irrelevant, if you have a stronger CPU the single core that squad uses will also be stronger. Thus you get more FPS but usage stays the same.

****SOLUTION FOUND****

Downgrading to Nvidia driver version 372.90 from 381.89 has solved the problem!

I have now tested it repeatedly with identical test environments and settings and can confirm that this has solved my low FPS issue with the GTX1080.

From 35-40fps, I am now getting 70-80fps @ 1440, all EPIC settings and Vsync on. CPU averaging 45%. :)

It would seem this is a driver optimisation / incompatibility with the current build of Squad (or the Unreal Engine). 

Ops3t   

I've had rly big hopes for that and can't see any differences with my 980 :/. Same stuff, at firing range 75 and I dont know how to raise it (75 is also freq of monitor) on the server fps drops to 30-40 dunno why :/ procesor is i5 7600k

Shieldss   
On 29/04/2017 at 4:20 PM, Sender_ZA said:

****SOLUTION FOUND****

Downgrading to Nvidia driver version 372.90 from 381.89 has solved the problem!

I have now tested it repeatedly with identical test environments and settings and can confirm that this has solved my low FPS issue with the GTX1080.

From 35-40fps, I am now getting 70-80fps @ 1440, all EPIC settings and Vsync on. CPU averaging 45%. :)

It would seem this is a driver optimisation / incompatibility with the current build of Squad (or the Unreal Engine). 

Damn son, I may have to try this ;)

I've been experiencing the same FPS drop on i6700k, 16GB, gtx1080. This rig can play almost any game at UHD 4K resolution with 60fps. Squad's performance of 35-40fps at 4x smaller resolution (1920p) on exactly the same setup is unacceptable, because the complexity will only get bigger, not smaller, with future updates.

Whatever the problem is ... being the driver, the UE4 engine, a Squad upgrade issue or Vladimir Putin. I doesn't matter. It needs to be resolved and the community - us, the players, will try to help to the best of our abilities (as this and some of the other threads prove).

Here are my 2 cents: I installed the same driver version mentioned above (372.90) and the game "feels" faster and more responsive, but the same FPS drop (to 40fps) happened on full Al-Bashra server. But, surprisingly, when I switched the scaling factor to 200% (4K resolution), I actually gained 3-5 FPS compared to 1920p (0% scaling), which doesn't make any ****ing sense, but rather proves our point that something is wrong.

MrOcto   

Can confirm 372.90 fixed the low fps issue for me as well (was using latest 382.05 with issues). Went from 1060 to 1080 and I was shocked to see the same or lower fps. Used DDU etc, no difference, 372.90 fixed it straight away.

Edit: Just tested 378.92, works good as well.

Edited by MrOcto

MrOcto   

I might have figured it out as well.. i ran game benchmark (under settings) again, and set my settings as i use them, fps went from 70-75 to 90-100... what the actual fck.. it can't be that simple can it? I'll report more, this seems promising.

Edit: Didn't work for long :D

Edited by MrOcto