Sign in to follow this  
Crowmium

More server options

Crowmium   

As discussed here

I figured I would post this in the proper forum along with some other info.

It would be nice if in general server admins had more say on how exactly they want to run their games. Below are some options that would be useful for certain kinds of gameplay scenarios that give servers more flexibility in gameplay style (suggested default in bold). It would be also nice to set this per team or universally.

• Friendly tags: on/off
  • Flag capture rate: 25/50/75/100/150/200%
  • Flag radius: 50/75/100/150/200/250%
  • Main base protection radius: 50/75/100/150/200/250%
  • Automatic kick after TK: 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/off
  • Automatic kick after TK in main base: 1/2/3/off
  • Automatic kick after friendly vehicle destruction: 1/2/3/4/5/6/off
  • Vehicles: on/off
    • APCs/IFVs: on/off
    • Transports: on/off
    • HMMVV/Technical/BRDM: on/off
    • Logistics Trucks: on/off
    • etc, etc. (could also be done per vehicle type instead of categories)
  • Squad vehicle claiming
    • Must have 2 players to claim vehicle: true/false
    • Squad vehicle limit: 0/1/2/3/4/any
    • Number of squad members per squad vehicle claim: 4/3/2/none
    • Vehicle timeout: none/3/5/10/15 minutes
    • Transports/Logistics trucks require two people to claim: true/false
  • Can place FOBs: on/off
    • HAB: on/off
    • Sandbags/HESCOs: on/off
    • Static weapons: on/off
    • Razorwire: on/off
    • etc, etc.
  • Can place Rallypoints: on/off
  • Ticket count: 25/50/75/100/150/200%
  • Kit counts (per squad)
    • Medics: 0/1/2
    • Rifleman optics: 0/1/2/3/4/any
    • Anti-Tank: 0/1/2/3/4
    • Automatic Rifleman: 0/1/2/3/4
    • Grenadier: 0/1/2/3/4
    • Marksman: 0/1/2/3
      • Marksmen per team: 0/1/2/3/4/5/6
    • Heavy Anti-Tank: 0/1/2
      • Heavy Anti-Tank per team: 0/1/2/3/4/5/6
    • etc, etc.
  • Kit contents
    • Medic number of bandages: 2/3/4/5/6/8/10/20
    • Rifleman bandages: 0/1/2/3/4
    • Frag grenades: 0/1/2/3/4
    • White smoke grenades: 0/1/2/3/4
    • Colored smoke grenades (ea.): 0/1/2/3
    • Rifle magazines: -4/-3/-2/-1/0/+1/+2/+3/+4 (this isn't great, but per kit would make the UI huge)
    • Anti-tank rounds: -1/0/+1
    • Pistols: on/off
      • Pistol magazines: -1/0/+1/+2

Some benefits:

1. More customized gameplay for people that like certain gameplay styles.
  2. More options for servers that host events (a la SquadOps)
  3. More options for servers that have more or fewer administrators regularly online.
  4. Temporary solutions to balance problems (OP weapons/vehicles) by allowing servers to limit or remove them until fixed.

I would also be necessary to allow players to view these options before joining and during the match so they know what kind of server they are joining. If we want to keep the licensed/unlicensed server concept then parameters would have to be fixed or within a set range to qualify the server as licensed.

suds   

more options also leads to lower server populations as people decide to only play "hardcore" or only play servers which allow rally points etc.

ARMA could have been good, one key reason for its low popularity which is often mentioned is the above.

Battlefield and COD split its players between hardcore and softcore, BF changed back again. Competitive gaming suffered in both because of reduced player numbers.

Mods in most games exclude players or are not even visible to the masses so eventually disappear into history.

I like options, but i'd much rather have 30+ players to shoot at than some minor adjustment with a small effect. Better to allow devs to test various changes and force us all into well populated servers.

Stock or nothing for now, once the community is big then Mods will allow more but you will see fragmentation and loss from many squad community pages and servers as soon as this happens.

Crowmium   

On 4/25/2017 at 7:16 AM, suds said:

ARMA could have been good, one key reason for its low popularity which is often mentioned is the above.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. A3 has an extremely active player base with an order of magnitude more players than Squad.

Psyrus   
24 minutes ago, Crowmium said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. A3 has an extremely active player base with an order of magnitude more players than Squad.

Well we can't exactly say squad is popular, so using it as a baseline isn't great, but you are totally correct. 

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/393380,107410#3m

suds   

I didn't make a comparison, that would never be fair. i used arma3 as an example of what not to do. what % of those players are in an unmodified arma3 server? 

arma has a following from many years ago and a history of mods, some people don't mind spending time finding and installing mods and extra content to be able to join a server. many would never know that the mod and extra content existed. 

your example helps my argument.

You take the average of about 1200 players and split them between servers which have varied settings and your default game looks far less popular. game over man.

I REALLY like this idea, some of which I have been talking about here on the forum. Specifically option to turn off name tags on long ranges (above 20 meters) and option to turn off friendly arrow markers on the map and turn them into circles (or completely remove them for some really hardcore servers). I am sure a whole bunch of us are wanting this. With this being a server setting we would not piss off people who don't want this change.

MilosV   
On 4/25/2017 at 1:16 PM, suds said:

Mods in most games exclude players or are not even visible to the masses so eventually disappear into history.

If modding in Battlefield 2 wasn't a thing, there would have never been a project reality mod, and therefore - Squad

I am however for a couple of servers enforcing hardcore tactical teamwork gameplay

Edited by MilosV

Valdr   

I'm all for giving server owners every option under the sun to mod their own servers, but I think any variation from default should make a server unlicensed. It will turn into a circus if every server is running different rules and different kits.

Crowmium   
2 hours ago, Valdr said:

I'm all for giving server owners every option under the sun to mod their own servers, but I think any variation from default should make a server unlicensed. It will turn into a circus if every server is running different rules and different kits.

And I'm totally okay with that too. I don't mind if the server is listed as "modded" or "unlicensed" or whatever terminology. I'm just generally of the opinion that options can be beneficial.

suds   

@MilosVI am not against modding, I've made maps for any game which I play and will support it (except squad so far). I still play COD4 because it is moddable and allows us to have fresh competitions via custom maps.

I am against having my favorite server population reduced because some players don't like the settings. Right now I want (and have) a selection of busy servers, not a wide choice. Once the game is released and has a large player base, which I am confident it will, then there can be splintering and division of the community. The effect will still be there but the number of players will be enough to maintain it. If OWI and Steam can make it easy to find and join modded servers then the whole gaming world will benefit, if they are not careful then they end up with whole lot of low population communities which eventually die.

You can continue to waste effort picking holes in my statements but I suggest you consider the bigger issue and make your judgement then. 

Edited by suds