Crowmium

Hacking prevalence

3 hours ago, Peerun said:

Do you mean those videos from before EAC was implemented?

No, there are videos from less than a month ago, from the current versions, unfortunately. 

At least 90% of what you think is cheating is usually completely legit. Sites like the one you linked usually don't have many customers, and only few of those actually play Squad. Like 50-80 at most. I'd love to see a video from you about any of these situations, the community would probably be able to explain those.

18 hours ago, Converge said:

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes you can see enemies legs or arms sticking out of a wall. Like if they are crouched or prone in the corner of a building with an exterior wall. I've found if you shoot their exposed body they will die.

If you're not aware of that it could definitely seem like you just got popped through the wall by a hacker.

Yuuup! We'd this  Bug in DF:/JointOperations. You need to be very careful going prone in a building/wall.

Don't be fooled for a second,indeed we have this cheating stinkers in our game. Look at BF1 with all their millions, they still can't keep this "Stinkers" out, lucky we haven't got this "Rankssystem/unlocks/powerups"bollox because it would definitely be twice as bad .

Edited by Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX

8 hours ago, Peerun said:

Do you mean those videos from before EAC was implemented?

Nah, there were videos posted as recently as a few days ago.

4 hours ago, banOkay said:

At least 90% of what you think is cheating is usually completely legit. Sites like the one you linked usually don't have many customers, and only few of those actually play Squad. Like 50-80 at most. I'd love to see a video from you about any of these situations, the community would probably be able to explain those.

Please post your source on those numbers.

29 minutes ago, Crowmium said:

Please post your source on those numbers.

You could do us the same courtesy?

On 4/23/2017 at 6:03 AM, Crowmium said:

The latest free weekend has brought in a new influx of players. Unfortunately, a significant number seem to be using the hacks

I bought Squad at free weekend, and so far I have encountered what I believe to be hacks.

Someone running across my field of view at distance and reacting to my shots at him with a turn and one-shot me dead, is pretty suspicious. As is someone jumping off a speeding motorcycle and one-shotting me from an upper window. Clearly knew I was there.

Then there's the many many instances I've died to difficult to achieve shots, but not suspicious other than their frequency. 

Squad is a difficult game to play, particularly with the lack of magnification, but so many incredibly accurate shooters, I can only conclude foul play.

I adminned on Arma3 and have witnessed first hand many script users: we were usually alerted by long standing players calling that know the difference between skill/luck and damn right obvious cheating, calling them out.

4 hours ago, Rapid12 said:

Someone running across my field of view at distance and reacting to my shots at him with a turn and one-shot me dead, is pretty suspicious.

What distance? Did he crouch or go prone? How many shots did you fire? What gun were you firing? Did you hit him at all before he stopped?

I remember actual hackers. After EAC was put in I've not seen one in a very very long time. 

Last night I witnessed and was victim of a cheat snapping onto me as he  came into view from Behind a building. He was shooting at my squadmate directly in front of him, I was at a right angle to both of them down an alleyway, maybe 10 yards away. The scumbag cheat snapped round 90degrees in what looked like a single frame and killed me. It was 100% a snap aim witnessed by my squad mate and I. 

On another note, can admins play with tools on like they do in some (most) Arma communities? 

On 25.4.2017 at 3:10 PM, Ouiche said:

I can't recall 50% of the kills i do. I'm not a great player (ok-ish, i guess) but i played ArmA 2, 3, Battlefield 3/4/1 and... in squad, a good half of the kills are done by suppressing an area and getting lucky.

SL yell "suppress bearing 121 NOW" so i empty a mag. I see smoke in the moutain, i shoot at the smoke. I see pixels moving in bushes and take fire from that area, 5-30 bullets to make the tree stop shooting at us. I don't pay the bullets. Writing that i realize my SL must see me as a kind of badly trained Labrador able to operate an ak74 :D I finished a game with 4 kills without clearly seeing a single enemy once.

Someone getting 30+ kills on foot... that's fishy, but a good OG7 or M203 user can get a crazy amount of kill in a legit way (especially in town fight). I saw guys sitting on ammo box killing entire squads with 1-2 RPG, i think 20 or 25 kills is possible.

That is a good post, I feel the same way. And it is one of the aspects in the game that I love so much. I think in real gunbattles, you also don't see a lot of enemies directly into their eyes but rather shoot in their general direction (as it can be seen in many gunfight videos, I am no expert though).

Suppressing works and sometimes even gets you kills

Edited by Skymo

Hacking is not nearly as prevalent as most people think. I haven't seen one instance of it either.

Most times when people cry fowl ('HAXXOR!!') it is really a result of latency / lag.

Let me explain:

What you see when you play a multiplayer video game is not happening in real time. The Squad developers have clearly spent a lot of time to present this illusion to you; it appears as if you are interacting with players in real time, almost as if this is a magical world where time, player state, and the world is continuous. That's not how it works. Changes to the world's state has to be encoded and sent out in discrete individual packets over the network.

For example, if an enemy player does a 180 degree turn, this is roughly how it would be packaged and sent over to the server:

<PlayerState0 pointing 0 degrees> ... 110 ms later ... <PlayerState1 pointing 135 degrees> ... 200 ms later <PlayerState2 pointing 180 degrees>

In other words, your computer only got 3 pieces of information and it somehow it pieces this all together to make it appear as if the player is rotating in a continuous fashion. You don't see the player jerkily rotating from 0 to 135 degrees to 180 degrees.

Every time an enemy player looks in a direction, shoots his or her gun, or does whatever, this data is then sent to the server and then it is sent to you (there might be slight variation here but basically it is sent somehow over the network). That means if a player looks at you, and shoots his/her gun at you, it might take anywhere from a couple of milliseconds to seconds for you to even get this information. The data transmitted is unreliable (UDP).

What can happen is, from the enemy player's perspective they look at you, aim, and fire. But, this data can be lost over the wire (lost packets). So, instead of receiving this sequence:

<PlayerState0 pointing 0 degrees> ... 110 ms later ... <PlayerState1 pointing 135 degrees> ... 200 ms later <PlayerState2 pointing 180 degrees> ... 100 ms later <PlayerState3 pointing 180 degrees, fires weapon at you>

You just receive this sequence:

<PlayerState0 pointing 0 degrees> ... 410 ms later ... <PlayerState3 pointing 180 degrees, fires weapon at you>

And then you think: 'Hey wait a second, that guy used an aimbot to shoot me in the head! He wasn't even looking at me!'.

No, it's just the nature of multiplayer games over a network and clever software developers who are able to hide this from you 99% of the time.

Edited by loff

Good post Loff.  Makes me think I am less crappy than I think I am. 

13 hours ago, Rapid12 said:

On another note, can admins play with tools on like they do in some (most) Arma communities? 

Yes.  There is some admin camera view where the Admin can see everyone and camera track them.  Played with a guy using this and it totally ruined the game for me (I was in his squad, will never go to that server again).  I think all players should be made aware (permanent on screen message) if anyone is using this camera mode.

In version six I played next to an obvious hacker (over 100 klills vs next best of 10 or so), everyone wanted him banned. 

It really sux that this is even a thing.

I am not sure there are that many people hacking on Oz servers at the moment, most or all players just want a good competitive game.

3 hours ago, loff said:

Hacking is not nearly as prevalent as most people think. I haven't seen one instance of it either.

Most times when people cry fowl ('HAXXOR!!') it is really a result of latency / lag.

Let me explain:

What you see when you play a multiplayer video game is not happening in real time. The Squad developers have clearly spent a lot of time to present this illusion to you; it appears as if you are interacting with players in real time, almost as if this is a magical world where time, player state, and the world is continuous. That's not how it works. Changes to the world's state has to be encoded and sent out in discrete individual packets over the network.

For example, if an enemy player does a 180 degree turn, this is roughly how it would be packaged and sent over to the server:

<PlayerState0 pointing 0 degrees> ... 110 ms later ... <PlayerState1 pointing 135 degrees> ... 200 ms later <PlayerState2 pointing 180 degrees>

In other words, your computer only got 3 pieces of information and it somehow it pieces this all together to make it appear as if the player is rotating in a continuous fashion. You don't see the player jerkily rotating from 0 to 135 degrees to 180 degrees.

Every time an enemy player looks in a direction, shoots his or her gun, or does whatever, this data is then sent to the server and then it is sent to you (there might be slight variation here but basically it is sent somehow over the network). That means if a player looks at you, and shoots his/her gun at you, it might take anywhere from a couple of milliseconds to seconds for you to even get this information. The data transmitted is unreliable (UDP).

What can happen is, from the enemy player's perspective they look at you, aim, and fire. But, this data can be lost over the wire (lost packets). So, instead of receiving this sequence:

<PlayerState0 pointing 0 degrees> ... 110 ms later ... <PlayerState1 pointing 135 degrees> ... 200 ms later <PlayerState2 pointing 180 degrees> ... 100 ms later <PlayerState3 pointing 180 degrees, fires weapon at you>

You just receive this sequence:

<PlayerState0 pointing 0 degrees> ... 410 ms later ... <PlayerState3 pointing 180 degrees, fires weapon at you>

And then you think: 'Hey wait a second, that guy used an aimbot to shoot me in the head! He wasn't even looking at me!'.

No, it's just the nature of multiplayer games over a network and clever software developers who are able to hide this from you 99% of the time.

Exactly this. I have a qualification in networking and what loff said is pretty much bang on. Packets can be lost very easily, and it's even easier for us to misinterpret that information. 

Edited by FlyCrow
typo

On 23/04/2017 at 2:03 PM, Crowmium said:

Unfortunately, a significant number seem to be using the hacks (google for images/video).

No, not significant number. Number of cheaters in Squad per server is probably 100 times lower than number of cheaters in CSGO per server.

I'm pretty hesitant to say "that's hax! omg!", but there is some easily identifiable behavior that is nearly impossibly for a non-hacker to accomplish: instant headshots on multiple enemies,

Probably some tryhard with 500 hours in the game.

headshots from across the map

Another tryhard, 800 hours.

seeing enemies through smoke/vegetation, etc.

Tryharder with all-low graphics. 1200 hours.

I usually try to be very objective and watch closely to see if I was just unlucky

If you were, you would have recorded and provided videos from your perspective to show us these situations.

Other players, have you seen an uptick in hacking?

Yes, maybe by 10% in the last few weeks, which is still extremely small amount of hackers. This uptick by 10% means maybe I see 1 hacker per 1 week or even 1 month.

Does it bother you?

Cheating in general? Yes. This particular 'sutuation' you refering to? No.

If the devs are reading, are there any plans to combat hacking?

I think they will make demos and a proper spectator mode. That's all your need to spot 99% of cheaters.

Edited by Skul

On 4/30/2017 at 11:46 AM, Rapid12 said:

I bought Squad at free weekend, and so far I have encountered what I believe to be hacks.

Someone running across my field of view at distance and reacting to my shots at him with a turn and one-shot me dead, is pretty suspicious. As is someone jumping off a speeding motorcycle and one-shotting me from an upper window. Clearly knew I was there.

Then there's the many many instances I've died to difficult to achieve shots, but not suspicious other than their frequency. 

Squad is a difficult game to play, particularly with the lack of magnification, but so many incredibly accurate shooters, I can only conclude foul play.

I adminned on Arma3 and have witnessed first hand many script users: we were usually alerted by long standing players calling that know the difference between skill/luck and damn right obvious cheating, calling them out.

Hey buddy, 

It is more than likely you are describing very basic bullet ballistics that squad has, and it makes for a very easy shooting mechanic. This stuff happpens to me quite often. Only I am the one doing the turn around and place 2 follow up shots across 100 to 300 meters and dropping the target. And I understand how lame of a feeling  that is when it happens to you. Experienced players use ironsights/aim points to kill snipers and people with scopes on long range, its not a strange thing. Because the game in its current state allows it (ballistic, weapons mechanic, stamina etc.). For your info, if you are using 5.1 surround sound you can pinpoint each gun fire very accurately on the compass. That is basically how these people do theae sort of stuff, but you got to be good shooter aswell.

Edited by Rainmaker