ArtyomB

Good Enough PC Specs?

Posted (edited)

Hello,

 

Seasoned PR player here. I just purchased a new gaming laptop, and I'm hoping if someone can give me any idea if my PC can run this game at a solid 60 FPS or not. I haven't been able to play the game as of yet because of my shotty internet which I'm going to upgrade hopefully soon. I'm just hoping someone that has experience with computers can help me out, thanks again.

 

SPECS:

 

GPU: GeForce GTX 980M

Driver Version: 381.65

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHZ

RAM: 15.87GB

Resoultion: 3840x2160, 60hz

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Edited by ArtyomB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Definitely not a solid 60FPS. I have a GTX1080 and a 4790K at 4.7GHZ and I still drop below 60 a lot. Some maps I rarely go above 60. Also I'm CPU bound. Anything short of a 6600K/7600K (single core performance) is going to have even more trouble running the game in its current state.

Edited by ZachTheGunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZachTheGunner said:

Definitely not a solid 60FPS. I have a GTX1080 and a 4790K at 4.7GHZ and I still drop below 60 a lot. Some maps I rarely go above 60. Also I'm CPU bound. Anything short of a 6600K/7600K is going to have even more trouble running the game in its current state.

 

What kind of graphics settings are you running in game if you don't mind me asking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ArtyomB said:

What kind of graphics settings are you running in game if you don't mind me asking?

I'm running at 1440P, at 4K you might manage to make it GPU bound on some maps. I run most of my graphic settings on high because it doesn't make a difference to my frames except on 1 or 2 maps. Also you replied just as I edited my last post to point out that single core performance is what matters most in squad right now. So that CPU you have in your new laptop is probably great for workstation type stuff, but unless you manage to keep it at it's full turbo clockspeed while playing Squad, you are probably going to go down to 30 to 40FPS a lot. Even if you stay at the turbo speed you're going to dip below 60 a lot more than I do. Luckily, this isn't much of a twitch shooter where you spend a ton of time running and gunning, so a lower frame rate isn't as bad as it could be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZachTheGunner said:

I'm running at 1440P, at 4K you might manage to make it GPU bound on some maps. I run most of my graphic settings on high because it doesn't make a difference to my frames except on 1 or 2 maps. Also you replied just as I edited my last post to point out that single core performance is what matters most in squad right now. So that CPU you have in your new laptop is probably great for workstation type stuff, but unless you manage to keep it at it's full turbo clockspeed while playing Squad, you are probably going to go down to 30 to 40FPS a lot. Even if you stay at the turbo speed you're going to dip below 60 a lot more than I do. Luckily, this isn't much of a twitch shooter where you spend a ton of time running and gunning, so a lower frame rate isn't as bad as it could be.

 

Alright, good to know. So what you're saying is I should probably rely more on my GPU than my CPU and make the game only run on a single core?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, ArtyomB said:

Alright, good to know. So what you're saying is I should probably rely more on my GPU than my CPU and make the game only run on a single core?

No, not at all. I'm saying that at least from what I know, CPU clock speed is what currently matters the most in Squad. That's why an i5 6600K will run better than pretty much all AMD CPUs, though the new Ryzen ones come close. Your laptop CPU can turbo up to 3.6GHZ, but I don't know if it can stay at that clock speed for any length of time, and even if it did, you would have significantly lower performance than me, and I still dip below 60FPS a lot. I don't think that CPU is bad, and other games will probably run fine on that laptop, but Squad still has a lot of optimization needed and there's no way you will stay above 60FPS except in the firing range.

 

Also, GPU and CPU are separate. Turning off cores on your CPU won't make the game use the GPU instead or anything like that.

 

Oh and you can try Squad and refund it on Steam if you play less than 2 hours.

Edited by ZachTheGunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ZachTheGunner said:

No, not at all. I'm saying that at least from what I know, CPU clock speed is what currently matters the most in Squad. That's why an i5 6600K will run better than pretty much all AMD CPUs, though the new Ryzen ones come close. Your laptop CPU can turbo up to 3.6GHZ, but I don't know if it can stay at that clock speed for any length of time, and even if it did, you would have significantly lower performance than me, and I still dip below 60FPS a lot. I don't think that CPU is bad, and other games will probably run fine on that laptop, but Squad still has a lot of optimization needed and there's no way you will stay above 60FPS except in the firing range.

 

Also, GPU and CPU are separate. Turning off cores on your CPU won't make the game use the GPU instead or anything like that.

 

Oh and you can try Squad and refund it on Steam if you play less than 2 hours.

 

Ok, I think I understand now. Hopefully, the developers can optimize the game a bit better before I get faster internet! :P

 

Thanks for the help!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2017 at 4:15 AM, ArtyomB said:

Ok, I think I understand now. Hopefully, the developers can optimize the game a bit better before I get faster internet! :P

 

Thanks for the help!  

 

Right now some optimization is taking place, because of the developers have to some extent. However the focus is still developing and adding features. Once most of the features are added then the focus will primarily shift to optimization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now