Lurifax

Vehicle identification

Hello everyone. :-)

I tried to search for this topic, but none showed up so I made this thread. If I missed something and it has been posted before I apologise.

Over the last few times I have been playing the game, I have had a hard time calling out vehicles when I spot them. I know some of them but others I dont know the exact name of nor do I know what faction the different vehicles belong to.

I went to www.joinsquad.com to see if there was any info about what vehicles was in the game and what factions they belong to, but I couldn't find anything. As a new player that makes it hard for me to be able to make a proper call out even though I wish to do so.

So; that got me thinking. When I was in the army they had this mandatory training where we had to be able to identify vehicles by photos and silhouettes from different angles. That helped us being able to ID targets in all kinds of situation and this could be a very nice "new player introduction" on the homepage. Either a full blown "Armor ID course" with a test in the end or a simple list of vehicles that are in the game, what ID characteristics they have and what factions they belong to with images and silhouettes of them.

I know that would make me much more comfortable to actually call out a vehicle when I spot one.

Other than that, I have never thought that any game could get my adrenaline pumping by guarding a hillside for 20 minutes and NOT see an enemy. :-)

/Luri

It kills me when someone calls out that they "see a tank" when they're talking about the little MTLB.

1 minute ago, Rybec said:

It kills me when someone calls out that they "see a tank" when they're talking about the little MTLB.

Exactly. It would help alot if people actually knew what they are seeing.

Known what assets on a map make it a lot easier. Which brings up the question random assets could be fun, that mtlb thats really IFV with 30mm could be an terrifing.

When in doubt  call it armour, then your covered.

29 minutes ago, Smee said:

Known what assets on a map make it a lot easier. Which brings up the question random assets could be fun, that mtlb thats really IFV with 30mm could be an terrifing.

When in doubt  call it armour, then your covered.

I agree, but there is nothing on the homepage about what vehicles belong to which factions. Just a thought to make it more beginner friendly. :-)

6 minutes ago, Lurifax said:

I agree, but there is nothing on the homepage about what vehicles belong to which factions. Just a thought to make it more beginner friendly. :-)

Actually on the home page (and forums) at the top navigation bar, there is a link to the wiki. From the wiki home page, there is just one click to get to this page:

http://squad.gamepedia.com/Vehicles

That lists (with reasonable accuracy), all the vehicles in the game. 

Ah I see.

Yes that was very well hidden but provides good information. Might not be the first thing people go search for though, but at least it is there. :-) Thanks man.

Edit: This is exactly what I am looking for. Students are having a test so I got some "reading" to catch up on. :-p

Edited by Lurifax

If I'm not sure about the name of the vehicle I call it out as wheeled or tracked apc.

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk

i think it is acceptable to say, there is "armour north of the flag" or "tracked vehicle to the south", "truck coming from west of squad leader".

"APC" is usually correct for armour, if you can see or hear the gun then you can be more specific, knowing where the 30mm is is very valuable :)

I often say "something with a big gun 100m east of our APC" which should get the appropriate reaction.

17 hours ago, Rybec said:

I cry when I hear this shit. The MTLB is about as weakly armoured as the humvee..

Helps immensely if you check who you're up against. 

If it's a Car -> Techie  or Technical

APC -> If US, Stryker, if any else -> BTR

Tracks? -> MTLB or Tracked APC

Small BTR? -> BDRM or Scout car

Trucks, universally I call them transports, but I audibly recognize them by their location. Most of the time Logi trucks drive on the edges of the maps trying to dodge firefights while Troop trucks go into the fray -> "Possible Logi going to X grid"

If you can get a better view, calling out Crows/Regular Humvee helps the SL/team as well. If it doesn't have a bigass box on top, but a flimsy looking MG -> Crows HMMWV

Same for Techies, an SPG callout could save a friendly truck from getting ambushed.

Trucks sound the same between Logis and Transports, but visually a stocked Logi has junk in the trunk so to speak, orange barrels etc whereas a normal has a bare flat cargo area.