SiC

Player commendations

I was over on the steam forums and saw a topic discussing an XP/rank system for Squad. Now, I don't think a rank/xp system would benefit the game. No system for that needs to be in place. HOWEVER, I do like the idea of, for example, players being able to 'commend' eachother for good play. So basically I'm saying it shouldn't be a game system, it should be a player system. If you were in a squad with a good SL, it could be neat to have the players award him in some way.  Same for the other roles.

Important for this to work however is that there should only be positive commendations, not negative ones. If a player misbehaves, that's the job of the server admin to deal with. Otherwise you'll get trolling and abuse of people being downvoted just because. It might also motivate people to try more difficult jobs like the SL position, and it has the added benefit of being able to see the experience an SL of a certain squad has, but like, actual experience leading squads, not just some pointless fake xp system. 

Now this could be extended towards most roles. If your LAT guy made a difficult shot and saved your squad, that squad's members might award him a commendation for example. Then later on, when he joins other servers and other squads, the SL can see which player is best for which role. 

I do see some downsides, like players begging for commendations. Or having friends upvoting a player again and again every round, so for that possibility I would say that for a commendation to be awarded, a certain number of players should vote for it to be awarded. Each squad's vote should count as one commendation, and not for example three commendations if three players voted. On the whole though I think the Squad community is mature enough to be able to handle a system such as this. But whereas a regular xp system or statistics system would lead to players chasing kills over teamwork, these player-awarded recommendations might promote teamwork even further, as the only way to get them is to play well within the team and having them appreciate the job you're doing.

It wouldn't be a loss if something like this never made it in, but it's something to think about maybe. Thoughts?

Edited by SiC

First I'd much rather see a vote system where you could boot TK'ers, vehicle grievers and people that start squads at the beginning of the game and pass off squad leader to someone else in order to get the good weapons. Put that in and then we can think about giving people smiley faces, participation awards and high fives.

There has been chat previously about it, personally I would like it about ingame title.

What I would say Overwatch has an interesting  system mvp (different categories )scoring players names are put up on the screen and both sides get to vote if the don't get 5 votes they don't get a reward. So the highest score gets chance of commendation. Interesting concept.

2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

First I'd much rather see a vote system where you could boot TK'ers, vehicle grievers and people that start squads at the beginning of the game and pass off squad leader to someone else in order to get the good weapons. Put that in and then we can think about giving people smiley faces, participation awards and high fives.

Aye, that'd be priority #1 for sure. It would be helpful to have tools so servers can self-police instead of being reliant on active adminds 24/7. Other than that though, what do you think of the idea? :P

In principal I like the idea of recommendations but as with all similar system they're open to abuse. I.e. Clan members up voting each other and making any such system worthless. Unless you have a system where you get a true reflection of a players worth then it's doomed to fail as a measure of role skills. It would have to be tied to the players score for that round to justify a recommendation. As player scores still need a fair bit of work it would be premature to get into any recommendation system yet on that basis.

In the end you'll could end up with players picked for roles they are good at but might not want to do in a round. I like to think I play a good medic but I don't want to play it all the time. I want to 'get gud' at the AT role, have a go at sharpshooter, driving or gunner but someone else may be getting picked because they have a better recommendation score so I don't then get the chance to improve. It's almost becomes like an unlock system.

I've had a few SL, etc that I would love to have shown my appreciation by giving some kind of recommendation and I hope some clever person can suggest something where I can.

If a stats system is constant and permanent then it does not reflect the currently active players just the players with nothing else to do and who have owned the game the longest.

i think that any system should only be for a period, eg the previous month. This way it has no ongoing value so people are less likely to abuse it and it also means a new player has the ability to feature in a top list.

Ive said before that a stats system does not need to be built into the game, just a reporting system following each round which populates a database file. Then servers can allow stats collection sites to gather data and display it in readable ways.

4 hours ago, ZXD_SHO-SHIN said:

OMG.

YES I MAY WIN SOMETHING NOW!

And the Cynical Award goes to *drumroll* you! haha. Regular unlocks and achievements are participation awards. My suggestion would not be as it is entirely up to other players, and they don't care if you participated if you didn't also play well.

4 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

In principal I like the idea of recommendations but as with all similar system they're open to abuse. I.e. Clan members up voting each other and making any such system worthless. Unless you have a system where you get a true reflection of a players worth then it's doomed to fail as a measure of role skills. It would have to be tied to the players score for that round to justify a recommendation. As player scores still need a fair bit of work it would be premature to get into any recommendation system yet on that basis.

In the end you'll could end up with players picked for roles they are good at but might not want to do in a round. I like to think I play a good medic but I don't want to play it all the time. I want to 'get gud' at the AT role, have a go at sharpshooter, driving or gunner but someone else may be getting picked because they have a better recommendation score so I don't then get the chance to improve. It's almost becomes like an unlock system.

I've had a few SL, etc that I would love to have shown my appreciation by giving some kind of recommendation and I hope some clever person can suggest something where I can.

Yeah, the clan thing was my concern too. But score doesn't necessarily mean you were more useful than others. It's a pretty good indicator of course, but a while ago I had a match as SL where I had one player act as a forward scout. The information he provided helped us come out on top of almost every engagement, while he didn't fire many shots at all and so had a low score.  The same is true for the scoring system in, for example, Red Orchestra 2 where players get more points per kill if they are in an objective zone, and if the enemy is in the objective zone. But what about the people killing the enemy before they can even get into the objective zone? :P

Therefore I don't think statistics are generally all that useful to determine someone's worth, and a player-driven system (where they can choose what category they'd like to commend someone, like good scout, good SL, good AT shot etc.) would be more benificial.

You also make a good point about people with higher recommendations always being picked and maybe even feeling 'forced' to take that role again. It was something that crossed my mind too.

3 hours ago, suds said:

If a stats system is constant and permanent then it does not reflect the currently active players just the players with nothing else to do and who have owned the game the longest.

i think that any system should only be for a period, eg the previous month. This way it has no ongoing value so people are less likely to abuse it and it also means a new player has the ability to feature in a top list.

Ive said before that a stats system does not need to be built into the game, just a reporting system following each round which populates a database file. Then servers can allow stats collection sites to gather data and display it in readable ways.

That's a nice idea! I like the idea of having temporary tally.

So in summary so far, for a system like this to work you would need:

- Multiple people voting in favor, reducing the risk of clans boosting eachother all the time.

- A whole squad votes for and counts as 1 commendation.

- Not be about kills, but things that benefited the entire squad in some way (good scout info as an example).

- Temporary showcase, refreshed each month or so (though maybe that could be what is shown ingame, while the full track record is saved online).

- Having the option for players to hide or disable all or parts of their 'track record', so that if you don't want to feel pressured into taking AT, you can hide that info if you so wish. The first time you boot up the game could be a good opportunity to ask the player if he wants all this stuff saved or not, and then make it toggleable in the options menu.

Think aDD favorite SL might be nice, so see SL's I've enjoyed playing with.

On 17. 4. 2017 at 5:44 PM, Smee said:

There has been chat previously about it, personally I would like it about ingame title.

What I would say Overwatch has an interesting  system mvp (different categories )scoring players names are put up on the screen and both sides get to vote if the don't get 5 votes they don't get a reward. So the highest score gets chance of commendation. Interesting concept.

I agree with Smee. Overwatch does it well. Very player friendly.

Maybe something like Overwatch but with some sort of permanent tracking system. Say you have something like 5-10 categories that show up at the end of the round (e.g. most vehicles destroyed, most revives, small arm accuracy, vehicle k/d, SL score etc.), once a player gets a certain amount of one commendation they get the option to have an icon next to their name (let's say a rocket) that lets their SL and eventually commander know that they'd be the best choice for a HAT kit.

Maybe also add squad commendations (squad score, flags defended, flags capped etc.) so we can know what SL's are good.

I think 2 things would be nice for this sort of thing.

1. Player of the round - each side vote for their choice on their team

2. Some kind of hours played 'badge', rookie, veteran etc

Other than that keep improving the scoring system and were good to go.

I often play with artillery as insurged or militia, I have the most kills most of the time. I mean I help my team for sure but when I miss my rocket lauching and TK some people, even once, they all camp me and tk kill me. I will be accused of bad behavour when I just follow orders.

I want to punish people that act bad but I don't want people that punish me because I did mistake(s)...

Artillery dudes are being bullied in this game