ohnimusha

Another optimization topic

1. Ok, first of all i understand what an alpha is and the fact that everything is subject to change, but my question is:

2. I am a PR player, and checked out squad during the free weekend, loved the game except one major part of it: the performance. I understand that optimization is not a priority now, and i agree with that fact that devs should focus on features first and lastly on optimization, because that's the natural way game development should work.

3. So my question is: after optimization will finally be done, could i expect a stable 60 fps? That is the only question keeping me from making the purchase, i have no problem waiting for that optimization and supporting the devs with purchasing the game as of its current state. I just want to know if optimization will improve the performance to that extent. And i also know the fact that this is a very hard question to answer without being speculative, but an educated guess could help me a lot with making that decision.

Specs:

i5 4690

gtx 1060

8gb ram

The answer is basically that we don't know. That answer depends on performance after all the features are done as well as whatever updates for unreal engine are released in the future.

Edited by mrbojangles
clarification.

Thank you for the unspeculative answer.

I can also be more clear: Is squad going to be a game similar to arma 3 (as in impossible to run at 60fps in multiplayer no matter what you run it on)? 

Players with top end parts are already doing more than 60fps so there is no hard cap, just a need for better optimisation. We should have a new animations coming soon (v10 fingers crossed) that I am expecting that to bring better performance. It's been said for a while the animations we have are causing performance issues so hopefully it'll be a step in the right direction performance wise.

If you play on a Jensens Range a bit, once players have gone crazy with constructions, fps tanks hard even if you're behind a hill and can't see them. You even see it happen in regular games with your fps slowly decreasing over the round once fobs etc have been built. I definitely feel it's an area the devs need to look at in due course.

If you could have 50fps and 100 players servers, would you or you only want 60fps and 80 player servers. Or 8kmsq maps and 50fps or only 4kmsq  and 60fps. 50fps and A10s flying the map 60fps. There alas has  to be some wiggle room.

I have similar hardware. 4670k at 4.5ghz, gtx 970, 8gigs of ram. I run 85% the time over 60fps if not 80+.

I find that servers with high ping, force my fps to be lower? Not entirely sure. I just stick to under 80ping.

Try FXAA instead of TXAA or turn it off. For whatever reason the game defaulted me to TXAA which is a performance hog for little eye candy compared to FXAA(my opinion) I netted 60+ fps by doing so. I also turn off shadows and lowest foliage setting. But that didnt effect performance, as much as it does my vision to see.

If it looked blurry and craptastic to you. Then TXAA is to blame due to the blur effect it does. People praise blur being off by default, but it is actually on by default due to TXAA being on by default. Least for my rig it did.

19 hours ago, Smee said:

If you could have 50fps and 100 players servers, would you or you only want 60fps and 80 player servers. Or 8kmsq maps and 50fps or only 4kmsq  and 60fps. 50fps and A10s flying the map 60fps. There alas has  to be some wiggle room.

Since we aren't console peasants and we aren't playing Squad on consoles, 144+ FPS is the only acceptable option for a proper multiplayer FPS game.

8BHSrwl.png

Edited by Skul