Keha

Opinion on Duties in game

Keha   

First off I love this game.

Now... For "Pub" type games, how do you feel about being asked to do logistic runs?

I for one hate it.... rather quit and do something else... Wish it had more meat to it and/or reward. For it sucks so bad to me as is. I rather watch a horizon of a hope of an enemy while capturing location, than drive a truck for 45mins - 1hour in game... Like seriously... How is that fun at all? can't even apply tactics to it, beyond straight or scenic route. I find it so boring and I am a very very patient type man.

Worst part is most people view you as the "sucker" for even agreeing to it, talk you down behind your back for being the "sucker".

I can fully see the point of doing it if it was not a "Pub" match. Like a clan match(I would do it no question), but I can never see myself doing it in a "Pub" match as it is now. You can kiss my rear and kick me for all I care. Better that, than having me purposely wreck the vehicle. To each their own.

But the game itself... I love it. I just utterly hate this part of it in Public games.

Your opinion?

I love logi runs, the backbone of helping your team win, transporting sl's around, finding good lines to and from the fob snd avoiding the enemy at all costs. Plus great time to get a few beers in. 

Smee   

Guy in my squad login runs and scored 6k in just doing that, and wasn't for long either. I like to try and get people swooping out and doing runs. The dedication comes when it's a massive map, then I only use it for actication of Hab. But some people like doing runs, Euro truck driver fans.

Doing one run can win a pub game. 

Edited by Smee

Keha   
6 minutes ago, grimshadow said:

I love logi runs, the backbone of helping your team win, transporting sl's around, finding good lines to and from the fob snd avoiding the enemy at all costs. Plus great time to get a few beers in. 

Yes I agree it helps the game a lot. I just do not see the enjoyment of doing it for a Public game. Feel you're rare type, since rarely if ever do I hear someone volunteer for it. But like I said. If it were a clan match, I'd be all for it. Just not for public matches. 

(off subject) If you assign dual move forward to your mouse and W key(mine has 11buttons). You can 1-hand play, drink and smoke majority of time, if you wish easier. Then far as having no "auto-run" feature, it is a lot easier over-time to hold down a thumb button than "W".

Keha   
1 minute ago, Smee said:

Guy in my squad login runs and scored 6k in just doing that, and wasn't for long either. I like to try and get people swooping out and doing runs. The dedication comes when it's a massive map, then I only use it for actication of Hab. But some people like doing runs, Euro truck driver fans.

Now that does make a lot of sense. I myself hate diving games, makes even more sense lol.

If it were a 1 run and done thing, I'd be more adept to do it when asked(instead of entire match). If Squad leader were to split the duties some. Far as the points go, they're meaningless to me. Since is no rank up/xp system that I see. I don't even see a "player stat" system to encourage point gathering.

Which I assume will come in time, the stats at least. I'd hope so at least.

Some valid points but you want the future, today. In that lays part of your problem. Squad it’s not a finished product at present day, down the road yes. Now, no. This is where your frustrations stems from, you want this game to be somthing its not. And there isn’t anyone, that can really respond to you in a meaningful way to adress that issue. The entire post is a venting topic and that’s all it is.

Patience…. patience 

Edited by BatSithCrazy

Socrates   

I understand how it feels, but someone needs to do it because it is a vital part to having a solid foundation in the matches.

For example, logistic runs allowed us to survive 40 minutes on a lockdown flag, which gave our team time to capture the active flags: 

On a smaller scale, OP First Light logistic runs allowed us to survive an extra 5 minutes on the central flag before being overrun by more enemy forces: 

If logistic/supply helicopters are implemented, I can see the "logistic run job" being less of a pain.

For now, if it helps, have 1 person do it (if they're fine with it, I've had people who are totally fine doing it and don't mind the long driving). Or do it on rotation. Sometimes as a squad leader, I do it myself because I know no one else in the squad wants to do it.

Edited by Socrates

zarenx   

Fob's are the most important things ingame! so big respect to the people for actually driving the truck back and forth to give us less walking distance to the flags. as you can see the supplies gives you some points(just look on SH| Aijt.) he also gave us 3 fobs that round aswell, making sure we could out-cap the enemy in no time.

rsz_resized_20170409_162416.jpg

As a squad member, I love doing logi runs and helping out the team. In particular large maps like Kohat Toi, where you can soak in the scenery while traversing the mountainous paths. It makes for some good downtime, especially if you have a mate ridding shotgun to banter with. 

As a squad leader, I never make someone take a role they aren't comfortable with. I ask the squad members who would like to drive logistics. Members from my unit are usually willing to preform any tasks, so I can always count on them as a last resort. 

That being said, I have never been in a match where a constant supply of logistics were needed all round. Unless every squad is setting up their own super fob, a few trips is all that is needed. 

Psyrus   

If you don't like doing logistics runs, play as the squad leader or medic. Neither of these two roles will (should) be driving logistics trucks all round.

Well, this is kind of why we need squad lock/resize squad and to dump the current vehicle claiming system. People joining an infantry squad aren't expecting to be doing logistics runs for half the game, or APC driver duty for that matter, so you end up with low-skill and unenthusiastic players operating assets quite frequently.

Players need to be able to set up dedicated squads and still have access to assets, and squad leaders need to be able to set the expected roles in their squads.

Logistics generally doesn't need more than 1-3 people in it most of the time, but often has to be able to operate up to 3 assets(Logistics trucks, Transport trucks, Heli transport in the future). Vehicle assets should not have squad-based quantity limits because that runs counter to any form of squad specialization. All vehicles require either 1 or 2 operators, but the current claiming system requires 3 squad members per vehicle claim. Furthermore, the uncertainty of vehicle asset access means that a lot of people trying to operate specialized squads are unable to do so because some Infantry squad took the vehicle they intended to use. Vehicles spawning in as team neutral assets from the start simply is not conducive to permanent and specialized squad, and these two things severely disrupt the potential for complex organization within teams.

Vehicle assets need to be spawned in by squads and individuals, and access to those vehicles needs to be controlled by those who spawned them in.

Squad Leaders currently spend way too much time having to ineffectively communicate kits, roles, objectives, and all kinds of stuff every time someone new joins the squad. Frequently, the issue is players joining the squad, picking a restricted kit, and spawning in before the SL even manages to notice they've joined, much less inform them of what the squad needs. Because of this, you often end up with Marksmen spawning in when LAT is needed, and now the Marksman is blocking anyone from taking a LAT. The player often can't drop the kit because he's not next to an ammo crate, and the only option the SL has if he wants to open up the kit slot is to kick the Marksman.  This leads to a lot of unnecessary friction, arguing, TKs, non-teamwork, and so on. And as this thread discusses, players often join a squad expecting A but getting asked to do B. Once more, if squad members refuse to do the tasks instructed the SL either has to kick them, or you end up with an undisciplined squad with a weak SL. This again ends up causing friction, arguing, TKs, non-teamwork, and so on.

Players need to have all of this information presented to them before joining a squad, instead of the SL having to verbally inform every new player, causing the above issues. Squad Leaders need to be able to organize their squad to the tiniest detail if they so want, and this must be mechanically supported by allowing them to set how many squad members they want, what kits and loadouts they want for each slot, and what order in which those slots should be filled if necessary. Players joining must be able to see what kits are available, what roles they're expected to fill(Driver, Recon, whatever), and what current objectives are. This would drastically reduce the level of inefficient verbal communication, reduce conflict, allow teams to see what capabilities their team has, who to contact about various forms of support, and so much more.

I for one have never seen anyone being called a "sucker" for doing a logi run, or multiple ones. Sounds like you had a bad squad mate. If anything they are praised as the unsung hero's of the game....cough cough Medics! :D haha. 

In your case, It sounds like you are being ordered by your squad leader for logi run. And you find it so boring. I'd say, you can just follow the order, ask for a replacement or just join another squad if the SL is a mean guy.

A bit of off-topic.

The OWLS server has the ''Logistic Squad Rule'' which means ''Only Logistic Squad can claim logi trucks'''.  It promotes professional logistic people but the rule somehow lacks flexability so they adjust it and those who claimed logi must be responsable to return it when there is no Logi squad..

My point is it should be promoted that we get logi people, and it significantly helps the team to deploy forces way faster.

In really rare time, a logi squad drive for resupply in the whole game. They usually join the fight after the major FOBs are activated.

I for one like the logi run and after my resupply to the key FOBs, I choose to go behind enemy line hunting for their fobs and rallies. Most of Logi squads are kept in a smaller scale so you will have less pressure when playing.

BTW, LOGI PEOPLE ARE WELL RESPECTED ALL THE TIME, WE LOVE LOGI GUYS.

Smee   

Logitech guys used to get the Huey in PR which was a fun run and MV-22 was more of a pig. Login runs are the life blood of a team. Watch aside crumble when they can't access their logistics trucks.

51 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

If you don't like doing logistics runs, play as the squad leader or medic. Neither of these two roles will (should) be driving logistics trucks all round.

They really should be, though. You see the problem in PR, and you see it in Squad. A squad takes a logi truck, plops up a FOB and then leaves the logi there. Eventually, you have logis strewn across the map, far behind the front line, or behind enemy lines, and nobody's able to resupply new FOBs. This happens precisely because logistics is a transient thing in both games. There's not enough need for logistics for anyone to do it in a dedicated manner, so people just use it when they desperately need it and then forget about it. This leads to squads relying in RPs instead of placing FOBs, and logis being abandoned in the field.

So much gameplay potential is wasted by half-measures. If we nerfed/removed the RP, we'd have increased demand for transportation, which would both give rise to dedicated transport and make squads value the transport vehicles they use more. I seem to be the only one ever using vehicles for rapid redeployment in the game currently. Most squads take a vehicle to the objective, dismount, get into contact with the enemy, and then keep running into each other. I use those vehicles all day. Take contact at the front? Take a few of the squad in a vehicle flanking wide around the enemy and engage them from two locations. Takes under a minute to do, to great effect. Sitting on the West flank of objective A when another squad gets pushed hard on Objective B? Redeploy the squad, or half the squad to that location to reinforce. Once in a while, I'm able to request transport from other squads, but it's a rarity. Most of the time, you just end up with squads isolated on their various objectives, unable to move their forces because transport vehicles are scattered across the map and nobody's able to reclaim them.

Peerun   
7 hours ago, Keha said:

Like seriously... How is that fun at all? can't even apply tactics to it, beyond straight or scenic route.

Have you even tried it? It's thrilling to escape a 30mm shooting at you.

22 hours ago, Keha said:

First off I love this game.

Now... For "Pub" type games, how do you feel about being asked to do logistic runs?

I for one hate it.... rather quit and do something else... Wish it had more meat to it and/or reward. For it sucks so bad to me as is. I rather watch a horizon of a hope of an enemy while capturing location, than drive a truck for 45mins - 1hour in game... Like seriously... How is that fun at all? can't even apply tactics to it, beyond straight or scenic route. I find it so boring and I am a very very patient type man.

Worst part is most people view you as the "sucker" for even agreeing to it, talk you down behind your back for being the "sucker".

I can fully see the point of doing it if it was not a "Pub" match. Like a clan match(I would do it no question), but I can never see myself doing it in a "Pub" match as it is now. You can kiss my rear and kick me for all I care. Better that, than having me purposely wreck the vehicle. To each their own.

But the game itself... I love it. I just utterly hate this part of it in Public games.

Your opinion?

This has partially become a driving game of sorts in case you didn't notice. Plenty of freedom in the game though. Not sure why you think you're forced to do Logi runs? Leave and join another squad or start your own squad. Besides, you should be cross trained in every facet of the game in order to be flexible enough to adapt to changing conditions. Later on when you start squad leading you'll already know routes and potential FOB locations simply from doing the Logi runs. Another thing is as the game gets additional vehicles and evolves you'll be a better driver.

Foist   

I mean its part of the game, not much different than patching people up as a medic. Don't do it if you don't want to but someone has to.

Keha   

I must say it is damn nice to see a community offer insight, instead of toxic behavior on the forums. Especially since this thread is quasi negative as is.

Since that one issue I had with a SL, I haven't had that issue again. Which started this thread. Truly was due to a irate SL. I felt at first more would feel as I do, but after the responses I see that you guys really love the game. I dig that feeling. I also really like this game. Then look forward to better methods in the future.

Psyrus   
18 hours ago, Psyrus said:

squad leader or medic. Neither of these two roles will (should) be driving logistics trucks all round.

17 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

They really should be, though. You see the problem in PR, and you see it in Squad. A squad takes a logi truck, plops up a FOB and then leaves the logi there. Eventually, you have logis strewn across the map, far behind the front line, or behind enemy lines, and nobody's able to resupply new FOBs.

... content ...

Once in a while, I'm able to request transport from other squads, but it's a rarity. Most of the time, you just end up with squads isolated on their various objectives, unable to move their forces because transport vehicles are scattered across the map and nobody's able to reclaim them.

Regarding transport trucks, I am fully on board with you, but I cannot in good conscience agree with you that it should be the squad leader or medic of an infantry squad that should be the ones ferrying supplies back and forth from main base. If it was a 4-man logistics squad, different story... but I am talking about your average 9-man squad that happens to put down fobs on the map. Sending a medic instead of a rifleman to do a supply run is a terrible idea as you lose your ability to revive (or 50% of it, if the squad has 2 medics). Not having the SL doing supply runs for a squad should be self explanatory. :)

Edited by Psyrus

suds   

would be interesting if respawns on a fob used supplies which needed to be replenished with a logi run