Materia

Something to be done about the repair containers.

35 posts in this topic
9 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Totally agree. Lots of good ideas in here. I think even implementing every suggestion wouldn't be too harsh to be honest:

• Global limit
  • "Health" that can be damaged by explosives
  • Higher resource cost for repairs/rearming
  • (My addition) A higher build cost for the structure (600-1000?)

I think they're a very cool gameplay element, but I feel like they are far too easy to use for the massive benefit that they provide (don't have to RTB 2+ Km to main base)

We'll see what happens. Definitely a higher repair cost and a higher cost to place it. Right now a HAB Costa more to place(for US/RU) than a repair crates does. One of those is infinitely more valuable to the team than the other.

6 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

No need for that. You just price construction of Repair Stations and the cost of repairing appropriately, which will naturally bring about an equilibrium of how many can be supported by a team based on the effectiveness of their logistics and the strategy chosen. Players will have to balance building and supplying Repair Stations against HABs, Weapons Emplacements, and so on. A team that does not go vehicle heavy can just forgo using a lot of resources on Repair Stations, instead getting more HABs for their infantry, and ensuring a lot of ammo dumps. A vehicle heavy team can rely less on HABs in favor of vehicle transport for infantry, spending more resources on repairs and rearming of vehicles.

This way you have multiple approaches to a situation, and your team's skill in a variety of areas will directly affect the outcome of the match. If you just start throwing around global limits on stuff, you just end up making gameplay repetitive.

That's a good point. But I'm also not so sure of the logistics mini game the devs have right now. In PR, as long as you had to heavy crates you could build everything you wanted. No need to constantly bog down logistics for supplies unless you were in combat and using the assets. I also preferred the PR repair style, it's a drop the logistics truck must use while having supplies. That ensures that vehicles can't repair on the front. 

I do agree that higher costs could work well. For starters, let's see a HAB cost 1000 points and a repair station cost 2000. That would really emphasize logistics now.

just add a delay eg 60 seconds before a repair can start after taking damage. even tiny damage should effect the timer, no repairs for you if i keep pinging you with my pistol till the heavies arrive.

if you tell pub players they have to drive all the way back to base you will just see more abandoned assets on certain maps.

There should be a benefit of building, supplying and defending a base, this is core and unique to squad. If you can keep a vehicle pinned in this base it is less effective anyway.

has anyone suggested that the vehicle is disabled (fire-wise), whilst repairing (over time), so that this cannot happen.

and/or,

the repair stations should only be at X (Main)?

Today I snuck my BTR up to a STRYKER that was just repairing on a repair station. BTR had full HP. My gunner emptied his magasine on the STRYKER, but it wouldnt explode, not as much as burn! While my gunner was firing at him, the STRYKER slowly turned his turret towards our BTR (literally took him like 10 sec), and since we were close-up and couldnt just drive off, he obliterated us.

My IMMERSION!!!

With the more detailed damage system coming in the future, I hope we'll see repairs activated through a radial menu accessed outside the vehicle. This way you could allow players to repair individual components of the vehicle, and repair them to whatever degree you'd like. So, as a vehicle crew member you'd have to jump out of the vehicle near a Repair Station, access the vehicle radial menu, select what to repair(Individual component or the entire vehicle), and then keep clicking until the desired repairs are complete. This would let players have more fine control over resource expenditure, and require players to be exposed to repair the vehicle, allowing enemies to disrupt repairs even with small arms fire. That way, I think we could avoid cooldowns that are at best annoying.

I hate waiting more than most but a delay to repairs after taking damage is an obvious and simple improvement to gameplay. Advantage goes to the better position.

With updates I'd like to see great improvements to vehicles. We were already promised crewman kits and more in-depth damage mode. Repairing could be done by deploying a repair container, a crewman getting out of a vehicle, taking tools from the container and doing work on the specific part of the vehicle that is damaged (should be obvious and not too specific).

5-10s long getting out and getting in animations should be added for driver and gunner and engine needs to be OFF if you wish to repair.

Adding WSAD turret controls with mouse for <10° fine corrections would also work well.

When engine would be OFF things like thermals and zoom wouldn't work at all, you could only use WSAD for turret movement and only fire the 1 round that is in the main gun already, coax would work normally but only the current belt, no reload.

This way you'd have to repair in a safe place, sound checking would be very risky (unlike PR) and you'd have to rely on spotters more.

Slightly off topic but will there be damage model? As in will I be able to detrack vehicles? 

27 minutes ago, MINTY said:

Slightly off topic but will there be damage model? As in will I be able to detrack vehicles? 

As far as I can remember there were talks from dwvelopers about localised damage system being implemented later on.

A temporary solution would be to add a 15-20 seconds cooldown for repairs whenever you get hit by something that does dmg to you. No more and no less. It would keep balance between vehicles intact (someone attacking you while you are repairing, still has just a good a chance of destroying you), yet it wouldnt keep players waiting (it takes you more than 20 secs to fall back and find a repair station for repairs, usually).

Unless its actually intended by devs that the repair stations can actively be gamed to gain an advantage during vehicle fights, which I guess could have some merit.