Pvt. Lewis

Insurgency devs view Squad as competitive threat.

I have been noticing from the beginning that whenever squads player base starts to grow, a few days later, the insurgency player base grows as well. After looking through the history of squad's updates/discounts/free weekends, I was surprised to see that every time squad has lowered its price or had an update, the NWI insurgency devs immediately follow with a huge discount! 

This is likely not coincidence. They know that squad is their biggest competitor, and they fear squad will be their ruin. Likely because squads vehicles and game engine is far superior. For a while insurgency dominated the medium between Arma and Counter strike. Every since squad, their player base has been falling like cockroaches in the ghetto. It's pretty cheap of them to lower their game price every time squad has an update. They are trying hard to distract gamers from noticing squad. But I guess that's just business. :/

tatzhit   

Insurgency and Squad don't have much in common TBH, although I suppose they ARE competing for players. Insurgency feels more like CS with more interesting mechanics.

Crusty   
10 minutes ago, Pvt. Lewis said:

I have been noticing from the beginning that whenever squads player base starts to grow, a few days later, the insurgency player base grows as well. After looking through the history of squad's updates/discounts/free weekends, I was surprised to see that every time squad has lowered its price or had an update, the NWI insurgency devs immediately follow with a huge discount! 

This is likely not coincidence. They know that squad is their biggest competitor, and they fear squad will be their ruin. Likely because squads vehicles and game engine is far superior. For a while insurgency dominated the medium between Arma and Counter strike. Every since squad, their player base has been falling like cockroaches in the ghetto. It's pretty cheap of them to lower their game price every time squad has an update. They are trying hard to distract gamers from noticing squad. But I guess that's just business. :/

Squad is a totally different game so I don't understand why they would see them as competition lol 

GonzoPR   

Our very own investigative journalist Pvt. Lewis. You should add 'I think' to the start of the title... and probably most of  the stuff you wrote here.

Crusty   
2 minutes ago, GonzoPR said:

Our very own investigative journalist Pvt. Lewis. You should add 'I think' to the start of the title... and probably most of  the stuff you wrote here.

lmfao

NWI may see OWI as a threat to their potential player numbers. They're only one letter different after all. I don't see OWI looking over their shoulder though.

If you play a co-op tactical server you can get a similar experience from Insurgency and I mean that very loosely. Insurgency just doesn't have the scope that Squad has and will always lose out on that basis. However if you fancy a quick teamwork blast Insurgency can be a lot of fun. They're not really in the same league gameplay wise.

Good observations! I do notice that on steam discussions  most of the new players are coming from arma or insurgency 

Edited by Pvt. Lewis

Disco   

First of all, cockroaches are not falling in ghetto... they are flourishing there.

Second of all, why my first is what i wrote?!

Third of all....well, why this thread exits? I mean, who cares, that view could only bring heat... and it's clear that we are peaceful, loving, caring type of community. Carry on with killing in game and empty all your frustration there :)

2 hours ago, GonzoPR said:

@GonzoPRThis almost made me cry hahaha! So damn true. 

As for SQUAD and INS being competitors, other than both of them being FPS titles that's about it. If the rationale is that then technically by Lewis Logic all shooters are direct competitors. Sorry, but both titles are very different experiences and cater to very different player bases minus the whole gun shootie shootie thing. 

I came from ARMA, the only reason I keep on playing squad is because of how the player base are all in tact and not separated. The opposite goes to ARMA, it's player base are all scattered everywhere because of mods, which is why it's hard to get a decent server with plenty of players to be amused. 

SHO-SHIN   

I see Squad as very real competition for Insurgency.

I played around 500hours Arma 3 milsim (against the bots), then about 500 hours Insurgency (mostly against the bots, but some PvP) then Squad (currently about 900 hours).

I havn't gone back to Arma in months, we did use to play INS after Squad to cool off for the night but we stopped doing that a while back. We may start again as INS vs the bots on modded servers can be great fun.

But I would imagine the new player market is different form my journey, lot's of people will only buy 1 of those games. I agree they are all very different but to most they are kinda the same, hardcore shooty shooty type games.

Skul   

I don't know about discounts, but how people can't see that Squad and Insurgency are competitors in terms of getting a bigger player base?

Anyone who's tired of casual bullshit games by EA, Dice, Activision and Valve, like Battlefield 3+, CoD: Whatever Warfare, CS:GO, etc., have to search for something else. And it's not like there are over 9000 projects that can provide better experience than CSGO/CoD/Battlefield.

People are left with a choice between Insurgency, Squad, Heroes & Generals and maybe few others. That's why these games are competitors.

Edited by Skul

Peerun   
8 hours ago, Pvt. Lewis said:

It's pretty cheap of them to lower their game price every time squad has an update.

Same as big companies. Completely normal tactic ever since sliced bread.

12 minutes ago, Skul said:

I don't know about discounts, but how people can't see that Squad and Insurgency are competitors in terms of getting a bigger player base?

He's not saying that Squad is a competitor because it's winning over players, but because Insurgency devs behave as if it was a competitor, which it coincidentally is.
- realistic damage CHECK
- indepth recoil and gun handling CHECK
- teamwork and voip CHECK
- objective based CHECK
- modding support CHECK
- vehicles CHECK for Squad
- base building CHECK for Squad
etc etc

Edited by Peerun

Well considering some of the devs have dranking with INS devs at the GDC and had a secret meeting with them it is prob a conspiracy of epic proportions. If I get enough people to quote this I will release the beans on what this all means for squad! and INS!

Peerun   

By the way, not only is this a normal thing, it's a good thing. It means not only that tactical games are becoming less niche as of late, but also that there will potentially be more of them(or games that take from the genre), which is something I look forward to.

Verdin   

I don't see SQUAD as competition for Insurgency, other than the fact they're both fps games with mod support.  I mean seriously, NWI has made some pretty good bank on that game, with 3 million units on Steam. They've put the game on sale many times over the past few years, so I don't really see anything sinister. It's just business.

The game play of SQUAD is completely different, as is the depth of the game, number of players and so much more. One game has AI for SP and COOP and the other doesn't, among numerous other things.

I think it'll be interesting to see what NWI does with Sandstorm on UE 4. I'd reckon performance will be better, as they're intending to release the game for consoles, Windows, Linux and Mac...so player counts per server most likely won't be higher than 64, if they even go above 32. Keeping player counts lower could potentially make for more visually pleasing graphics and allow UE4 to shine.  The mod support could open the door for some interesting stuff as well, 32 player AAS or Conquest?  LOL

Given that Sandstorm will have to be optimized for consoles and completely different game mechanics and scope, I still don't see any real competition between it and SQUAD.

Peerun   
26 minutes ago, Verdin said:

I don't see SQUAD as competition for Insurgency, other than the fact they're both fps games with mod support.  I mean seriously, NWI has made some pretty good bank on that game, with 3 million units on Steam. They've put the game on sale many times over the past few years, so I don't really see anything sinister. It's just business.

The game play of SQUAD is completely different, as is the depth of the game, number of players and so much more. One game has AI for SP and COOP and the other doesn't, among numerous other things.

I think it'll be interesting to see what NWI does with Sandstorm on UE 4. I'd reckon performance will be better, as they're intending to release the game for consoles, Windows, Linux and Mac...so player counts per server most likely won't be higher than 64, if they even go above 32. Keeping player counts lower could potentially make for more visually pleasing graphics and allow UE4 to shine.  The mod support could open the door for some interesting stuff as well, 32 player AAS or Conquest?  LOL

Given that Sandstorm will have to be optimized for consoles and completely different game mechanics and scope, I still don't see any real competition between it and SQUAD.

Well that's like saying Squad isn't competition for the dying Battlefield or the shallow CS:GO. As much as the games are different, there are many things that while not identical or similar between them determine a common denominator for customers.
IE a person looking at Squad and Insurgency, won't look at Insurgency and say to himself "Based on this detail description and gameplay videos, this game is EXACTLY what I want to play, because it has X,Y and Z features that work in that and that way." Instead he will "hopefully" compare differences about the games, see similarities, draw conclusions on community et cetera and then decide mainly on price:perceived quality ratio.
And because price is half of the equation, that's why discounts are happening.
And I say again, that competition is natural and good and sort of a symbioses between the two rivals. So I don't view it as a bad thing, rather am arguing both people who deny the existence of it and those that think it's intolerable. So don't put me into the same basket with OP, if you're thinking about it.

Edited by Peerun

rulie   
On 4/15/2017 at 6:13 AM, GonzoPR said:

^lols, day'am man, i thought he was talking about the "Insurgency" game mode in Squad! ...i keep falling for this "click bait" capper here.

...anyways, didn't know you were from WA...we should catch up for a beer sometime mate.

On 4/14/2017 at 2:57 PM, Pvt. Lewis said:

Sounds like a lot of baseless speculation, conjecture and assumptions about a game and developer most people could care less about. You didn't post any links to back up your assertions and even if you did who really gives a f about Insurgency anyway? Myself, I've owned Insurgency since it first came out and besides being a modern shooter with similar combatants and weapons both games are quite dissimilar. Insurgency has very small linear maps and becomes very predictable plus the matches are over quite quickly. Never mind the fact that as far as I know Insurgency is a finished game that won't have any new content because they've moved onto a new project. Insurgency is the cul-de-sac of military shooters so just play Squad and forget about it. 

Fallcon   

But the games are completely different? Squad is about massive players, massive battles with vehicles.

Peerun   
15 minutes ago, Fallcon said:

But the games are completely different? Squad is about massive players, massive battles with vehicles.

When it comes down to it, both are about shooting the enemy into the backside.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:13 AM, GonzoPR said:

Lel, I agree. I read the title and clicked on the thread thinking there was something official from the Insurgency Devs.

Anyway, Insurgency/Day of Infamy (bringing it up since Squad will get WW1/2 user made mods) are like 20% similar to Squad imho.

Ive spent over 1000+ hours in INS and there is no competition. I'm pretty sure because INS:Sandstorm is around the corner they are milking the snake. The fact that a game that old is still thriving is pretty amazing. Between Arma 3, Squad, and Insurgency.. They all are there own category of fps mil-sim shooters. As well if anything needs proper comparison its arma 3 vs. squad and we all know arma 3 still wins. Once Insurgency:Sandstorm releases prolly end this year I would suspect since the official announce we will see, till then Insurgency will always be a small-scale, 32 player max fps arena mil-sim.. This argument = fluff. Don't fluff.

Edited by Bruce_Willis