mastah4

Hardware Upgrade Question

Hello guys. I would like to upgrade my PC but I can go for one upgrade only. Which upgrade should I go for? I only care about having more fps in Squad. I play at 1080p.

A CPU upgrade from i5 4690k to i7 7700k or a GPU upgrade from AMD R9 390 to GTX 1080?

I wish I could do both hehe, but unfortunately thats not possible. Much appreciated!

If you want to have maximum FPS possible in Squad, then definitely CPU upgrade. 1080p + all low and you will have maximum FPS you can have in Squad, because FPS in Squad is bound by IPC of a single core.

Edited by Skul

I dunno, I think your CPU is already good enough and with more optimizations you won't gain much from the CPU upgrade. I would do the GPU upgrade. Also, it is definitely worth to save a little extra and get the Ti version of the 1080.

I have an i5-2500k overclocked to 4.2 Ghz and with a 780 GTX at 1080p I get 40 FPS at the lowest and mostly sit around 55-65 with everything maxed out.

Edited by Thr34t

You could overclock your i5 and test what gains you get. Best to use something like MSI Afterburner to check the stress levels of your Cpu & Gpu to help you make your own informed choice. My money is on Cpu with Squads in its current state. That's just Squad (and other UE4 titles) though. You'll probably get more gains from Gpu in better optimised games but you did specify Squad as your benchmark. 

I wouldn't upgrade for a game that's an early access alpha.  I'd suggest starting by overclocking the 4690k to 4.4-4.5 and see what gain that nets you. There's still A LOT of optimization that needs to happen during the beta stages before release.

If you're dead set on upgrading for SQUAD, the CPU would be your best bet for a performance increase, due to the heavy CPU usage in UE4 games.

Get the 7700K and most important than the CPU is the RAM it's should be  high frequency one at least 3200 MHz (if you can get a Ram higher got for it but check your MB first) so it can keep up with 4.5ghz 7700k.