Sign in to follow this  
J11War

Could they add Marines or at least different camo options for each faction?

Since friendly players have text show up over their names, I don't see the harm in allowing a few camo variations. If someone wanted to use Multicam, they could. If someone wanted to use MARPAT, they could. Normally I'm against crazy unrealistic patterns, but I like the way Rising Storm 2 (if you are lucky enough to have played the closed alpha) handles it. There are camo variations, but they are all based off of real uniforms worn by the respective factions.

I know I'd love USMC in Squad, and since they won't be added by developers, it would be cool if we could at least get the camo options. I also know that uniformity and authenticity are part of Squad, but even games like Verdun allow the American side to be composed of either Army or Marine squads, depending on the preference of the person who creates the squad.

I don't think Marines are better than soldiers or anything stupid like that. I just think diversity and choice are cool, and it adds a level of customization to Squad without breaking the game or making it super unrealistic. I think the Army is awesome and well designed, but down the line, having the choice to mix it up might be cool.

Edited by J11War

You're playing a standard force that uses a uniform if it's a conventional force, you're definitely not playing a game where one guy playing in the US Army is going to be wearing UCP, one Scorpion W2 and the other Multicam.. that's just way out of the scope of what this game is shooting for (a standardised and unified Squad). It works for Militia because that's how it is in real life.. but for a conventional force that's supposed to be standard infantry? Nope!

I'm well aware there were instances of transition phases where conventional forces had a mix of kits/camo because not everyone got it issued to them at the same time, but there's no point doing that in a video game trying to keep a unified and consistent team.

If you're not playing a specific faction, you shouldn't have their camo. The US Army and US Marine Corps don't wear exactly the same kit, so just re-texturing them to MARPAT would set off all kinds of flags. It would definitely make it less authentic and it wouldn't carry over to other forces either. For example, you're not going to see a dude in the British Army running around in MTP and his mate looking like he's from 2004 with DPM with current time gear.. it breaks any and all feeling of consistency and makes for a team caring about "individual" gear instead of squad or team level choices (devs would either have to restrict choices, or we'd see desert dudes in lush green forests). Hopefully I explained that well enough for you to understand the point I'm trying to make. :)

Of course, I'd love to see the USMC in the game at one point as much as you. It hasn't been fully denied by developers that the last faction they make is the British Army, but they haven't revealed information on any other faction besides that one. So it's safe to say the British faction is 100% coming into the game. Anything after that has not been confirmed, nor has it been confirmed that the devs will add another faction before the full release of the game.

I mean one of the DEVs was a Marine, so I would say our chances are pretty good haha

If the DEVs don't add the USMC, I'd wager a mod team would pick up the task. It wouldn't be the hardest faction to implement as they could reuse certain pieces of US Army kit so there's some silver lining.

I'm sure down the road we'll see a USMC faction either from the DEVs formally or from the modding community. If there's one thing I appreciate about SQUAD is the development teams appreciation for detail. They don't go ham on it but each faction is clearly given time in terms of making sure they look the part. The new US Army and Russian Army models look great and do a wonderful job of making each faction not only look authentic but also do so in a respectful manner in relation to their real life counterparts. From the blogs the British also look like they are receiving the same amount of love in terms of detailing. 

As for future factions, aside from the remodeling of the insurgent faction and implementing the Brits I would think objectively the team is concentrating heavily on gameplay and optimization, but hope is not lost for any USMC fans and vets. A big component to this game just as it was for PR is that sweet modding community. 

I mean we have Al Basrah now thanks to ChanceBrah and KoffeinFlummi is currently working on introducing the Bundeswehr (And doing a phenomenal job). Just like PR was built up from both the Devs and a creative community effort so will SQUAD. So i'm more than positive that if we don't see the Marines come up in development from the dev team post release we'll surely see them be a modder's creation with just as much love and detail put into it. 

On the use of camo variations I don't see the reasoning for it. Even RS2 doesn't do what you describe. RS2 still has faction specific clothing just it has the use of veteran items you can unlock over time like rolled sleeves, tats, and etc. USMC uses BDU variants, Army uses Olive Drab variants, NLF uses civilian attire, and the NVA uses their respective tan uniforms. Even Vurden has faction specific clothing it just lets multiple factions play on one map due to how they designed their PvP campaign system (Landsers, Poilus, Tommies, Highlander) . What you're describing is more along the lines of BF3 but maybe holding more to a limited selection of available camouflages. If SQUAD or even RS2 were aiming for a less authentic play experience I'd fully agree with you, but since the aim is for an authentic battlefield experience (including the factions) having different camos detracts from that goal. In the end I could see a veteran customization system in game in that would let you do little things to look more grizzled or battleworn but no full change in appearance such as camouflage or equipment.