mIcCrossHill

Bad Ping and bad decision

Hi there,

finaly the Pre Alpha is starting - was so exiting last day and then ... pure frustration.

I am living in Spain and when opening the serverbrowser - i start to cry.

Why in Hells name is my best Ping (ireland) about 350ms??? And in General between 350 and 600+? Unplayable for a FPS and Hell for my opponents - its like playing BF4 with Servertickrate off 20.In EVERY OTHER GAME i have pings under 100ms - in whole Europe.I am playing Ark on a privte Server in Germany - my Ping is about 50, i am in the open Beta of WoWS - Ping about 80. I am a good Driver in Trackmania - Server in Germany - ping about 50ms.So what is wrong with your Servers? It feels like you named the Server Ireland but the locations seems to be US/Canada.BTW. My InternetProvider is  in the TopTen Worldwide - that cant be the issue:to ireland

Connected and checked the Ping - goes down to 100-150 - not realy perfect but playable .. Thx for pointing me @ Melbo

Another thing is this Event "Ranger" Weekend - why when only ~70 Rangerpackages was selled - servers are empty ... this is also disapointing.

You should have open this weekend for all Backers!

And to all the Players that call "Alpha/beta" - this is about Networking (Ping) and making good decisions (Rangerweekend for only 70 Rangers/server are empty) - not about coding or gamedesign.

p.s. German Friend has also high Pings.

For some reason the pings in the server browsers are insanely high. For myself, UK/Ireland servers report at 200+ for me but in game it goes down to 20ms. No need to worry.

I'm sure we will see more players tonight as more become aware. 

...really not sure what the problem is...my ping from Western Australia to the Ireland server today was over 1500? LOL!..it did settle down after awhile though. It tends to settle RIGHT down after the first 5 mins. Yay for 4G wireless connection! So far i haven't killed anyone here yet. I have been killed seven times and one of those was a Friendly Fire. :(

Luckily (for me)  i am not recording game play atm. :P

Before the patch the Ping was very good, also for the US Server. After the Update it shows very high Pings in the Server Browser. 

Like I said, don't take the server browsers ping as gospel. It's way off. 

As soon as I enter the game it's fine. Last night on the US server, the browser was reporting at 500+ but in-game I was around 200. Ignore the browser pings for now.

BTW. My InternetProvider is  in the TopTen Worldwide - that cant be the issue: to ireland

Well Holla amigo,"Que pasa!"

Got a place in Spain(current location) too mate and if you live in the outskirts from a major city,then like mine the internet is pants. *coughs* Up/down yo yo Movistar Bollox internet provider... :D

Like I said, don't take the server browsers ping as gospel. It's way off. 

As soon as I enter the game it's fine. Last night on the US server, the browser was reporting at 500+ but in-game I was around 200. Ignore the browser pings for now.

yeah the serverbrowser ping shows 245 for me but ingame i have about 30ms

My ping was around 400 and i still managed to play/kill/win without any issue. Ignore the pings you see. It is only when you seen players ice skating or rubber banding that there is a real issue. FPS issues are expected and are completely dependent on your system specs.

Hi there,

finaly the Pre Alpha is starting - was so exiting last day and then ... pure frustration.

Why in Hells name is my best Ping (ireland) about 350ms??? And in General between 350 and 600+? Unplayable for a FPS and Hell for my opponents - its like playing BF4 with Servertickrate off 20.In EVERY OTHER GAME i have pings under 100ms - in whole Europe.I am playing Ark on a privte Server in Germany - my Ping is about 50, i am in the open Beta of WoWS - Ping about 80. I am a good Driver in Trackmania - Server in Germany - ping about 50ms.So what is wrong with your Servers? It feels like you named the Server Ireland but the locations seems to be US/Canada.BTW. My InternetProvider is  in the TopTen Worldwide - that cant be the issue:to ireland
Connected and checked the Ping - goes down to 100-150 - not realy perfect but playable .. Thx for pointing me @ Melbo

Another thing is this Event "Ranger" Weekend - why when only ~70 Rangerpackages was selled - servers are empty ... this is also disapointing.

You should have open this weekend for all Backers!

And to all the Players that call "Alpha/beta" - this is about Networking (Ping) and making good decisions (Rangerweekend for only 70 Rangers/server are empty) - not about coding or gamedesign.

p.s. German Friend has also high Pings.

You do realize you are whining about pre-alpha right? If you wanted a polished product with tons of players, you should have waiting till early access.

The ping isn't being displayed properly by default (will be changed later). It is many times higher than your actual ping, so try not to look at the number and tell us if you actually feel like you were lagging in game :).

EDIT: 

[PING] The ping in the server browser and in game is not being displayed correctly. It is VERY high. We are using Unreal Engine 4's default network implementation and this is the actual comment that is inside of the engine code: 

// this is not a correct ping, but better than nothing

Try not to look at the number for now, and just tell us if it feels laggy or rubber-bandy. The issue will be resolved when we get to Steam.

Since the event started we have invited more of our testers and friends to join the 73 ranger tier's sold.

Try not to look at the number for now, and just tell us if it feels laggy or rubber-bandy.

Is the number consistent though? As in, higher actual ping = higher server browser value?

Is the number consistent though? As in, higher actual ping = higher server browser value?

It appears to be so yes.

Though I must say that I rarely have had issues with lag, and that is playing from across the Atlantic on these servers.

CMD: tracert command is your friend getting a decent analysis of the pings related to gaming, that is if you have access to real IP of the gameserver and servers related to gamehosting (like some resource DBs in some games). Snapshot ping values seen many times on "server lists" on games might be way off and give only rough idea which hundret is your ping running at.

C:\Users\Name>tracert forums.joinsquad.comTracing route to forums.joinsquad.com [108.162.200.67]over a maximum of 30 hops:  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1  2    13 ms    14 ms    13 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  3    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  4    21 ms    12 ms    13 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  5    46 ms    13 ms    12 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  6    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  ae0.bbr1.hel2.fi.eunetip.net [213.192.191.153]  7    43 ms    44 ms    43 ms  213.192.186.38  8    45 ms    43 ms    43 ms  edge01.fra01.cloudflare.com [80.81.194.180]  9    44 ms    44 ms    44 ms  108.162.200.67Trace complete.

Haha, that comment in the code is pure gold though. I like the guys at UE more and more.

CMD: tracert command is your friend getting a decent analysis of the pings related to gaming, that is if you have access to real IP of the gameserver and servers related to gamehosting (like some resource DBs in some games). Snapshot ping values seen many times on "server lists" on games might be way off and give only rough idea which hundret is your ping running at.

C:\Users\Name>tracert forums.joinsquad.comTracing route to forums.joinsquad.com [108.162.200.67]over a maximum of 30 hops:  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1  2    13 ms    14 ms    13 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  3    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  4    21 ms    12 ms    13 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  5    46 ms    13 ms    12 ms  elisa.net [000.000.000.000]  6    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  ae0.bbr1.hel2.fi.eunetip.net [213.192.191.153]  7    43 ms    44 ms    43 ms  213.192.186.38  8    45 ms    43 ms    43 ms  edge01.fra01.cloudflare.com [80.81.194.180]  9    44 ms    44 ms    44 ms  108.162.200.67Trace complete.

I would not be trying to ping/trace route the website as it will just route to the nearest Cloudflare cache server.

Mayby its time have a free weekend for all backers and non-backers >.>

No way. Not this early.

Nope.

Mayby its time have a free weekend for all backers and non-backers >.>

Why is that?

worst idea ever. 

I don't know. It's kinda hard to keep track these days.