Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RaTzo

How far along are we?

Looking at how far Squad has come I've started wondering how close we are to having a "mostly feature complete" version of the game.  Helicopters were the farthest stretch goal on Kickstarter. 

With the exception of mortars and IEDs I'm not sure what is left to be added to the game. I want Helicopters but if that has to come from a mod I'm fine with that. 

So what do you think? Beta soon? 

They've already promised helos and fixed wing aircraft so those are definitely coming. We'll also be getting freelook and the new animation system soon. I would say the animation system, cover wrapping, freelook, helos, fixed wing aircraft, and probably some map overhauls will be coming before we get to beta. 

That's just my thoughts though. 

Posted (edited)

New animations, that includes (with me guessing it), weapon collision, head (full trackir/freelook support) and torso rotation, vaulting, dragging wounded teammates, new animation for transisioning between standing to crouch and prone position, new lean system (because current one, with hand on the heart, is terrible).

Diffrerent types and variants of APCs and IFVs.

Main Battle Tanks

New roles like Pilot, Heavy Machine Gunner, Breacher, Engineer etc.

Mortars

Air Superiority and CAS Jets & Attack and Transport Helicopters

New deployables (sandbags, bunkers and hescos), new type of deployable like TOW and A-A weapon

Boats, so we can transport and move troops over water.

New small arms weapons

Weapon resting

Working bipods

All that comes to my mind... All of these except the detail about animations and boats were shown in the Kickstarter to fully create Combined Arms Warfare.  Without AS or CAS Jets, or MBTs Squad is not a true combined arms war.

Edited by Rainmaker

There's a big list of things that the developers have promised, and a longer list of things that should be added, as it will keep the game alive and selling copies for years to come.

There's a huge number of ways infantry fighting could be improved with all kinds of new methods of controlling your character: vaulting, assisted vaulting, controlled ledge dropping, prone-rolling, diving to cover, blind firing, free look, melee attacks, more that 3 height stances, bipods/weapon resting, feigning death (this actually was an effective tactic in PR if you were caught in the open against enemy armour believe it or not), weapon collision, door kicking, body dragging, adjustable sight zeroing, back-up sights. Commander mode would be nice too.

There's a ton of physics features that are either coming, or could be added. Penetration is a massive one, better simulated explosive physics that can can hit through cover depending on the strength of the cover and explosion, better vehicle physics that include the ability to tow/flip over friendly vehicles, knock-back on explosion and vehicle impacts, damage for jumping out of moving vehicles, better vehicle damage/armour physics, more dynamic infantry health/damage system. Destructible environments would be an extremely interesting feature that would make the game so much more dynamic. I'll admit this feature can only even be extremely limited due to the amount of hours it takes to develop, and the performance issues, but at least player deployed structures, as well as trees and maybe some basic structures like chain-link fences should be destructible. Also players crawling over grass should flatten it.

There's a ton of assets that are promised or should be in the game; artillery, mortars both static large and small man portable, deployable AA, deployable AT, deployable grenade machine guns, man portable AT and AA missiles, MMGs, in-the-field HMGs (with multiple people carrying and building), GTLDs, IFVs, AAVs, helicopters of the transport, light attack, and gunship variety, fighter jets, mines, fence/wire cutters, C4, boats, shotguns, MBTs.

Not to mention new maps. Yeah there's still a long ways to go before this game is "complete" based one what's been promised, and what could be.

Posted (edited)

Guys, pilotable fixed wing aircraft have not been promised yet. They are a "maybe in the future" as of right now, due to the map sizes being too small for realistic flight speeds. 

Devs have said that they have low-poly plane models ready, and are considering an automated Call of Dutyish (not meant to be insulting, just the best comparison I can think of) CAS strike. 

I really hope they change their mind on the realistic flight speeds thing. Speeds were fine in PR, but another concern is the unlimited view distance. Hopefully 8x8KM maps will allow for proper jets and can become the new standard. 

Edited by Flat896

2 hours ago, Flat896 said:

Guys, pilotable fixed wing aircraft have not been promised yet. They are a "maybe in the future" as of right now, due to the map sizes being too small for realistic flight speeds. 

Devs have said that they have low-poly plane models ready, and are considering an automated Call of Dutyish (not meant to be insulting, just the best comparison I can think of) CAS strike. 

I really hope they change their mind on the realistic flight speeds thing. Speeds were fine in PR, but another concern is the unlimited view distance. Hopefully 8x8KM maps will allow for proper jets and can become the new standard. 

It's true, they haven't been promised. But it would be such a shame if they never made their way into the game. They're just an exciting, unique, and fun tool that really spice up the largest maps. Jets are almost a game in themselves, how unique they are. Even PR's primitive flight physics and weapon systems were awesome.

There are lots of things that "could" be added to any game. One of the reasons I backed Squad on Kickstarter was because they had an end goal in mind. They knew what the finished product would be before they started, or at least before they started asking for money. 

I want helicopters in the game, but we were not promised them. 

For the most part land vehicles are done. The system they have developed means they can add whatever vehicles they want fairly easily. Air and water vehicles are different. I'm not aware of any promise ever about boats. 

Material penetration is great but it is also something that goes beyond what we were promised in the game's description. 

We'd all like more maps, but let's be honest here they are a lot of effort and since OWI is pushing MODs so hard we're going to have lots of community developed maps to play on. 

Mortars, air vehicles, the animation system, these are things which are new code which are still to be finished. Anyone aware of anything else that was actually promised not just something we'd like? 

1 hour ago, 40mmrain said:

It's true, they haven't been promised. But it would be such a shame if they never made their way into the game. They're just an exciting, unique, and fun tool that really spice up the largest maps. Jets are almost a game in themselves, how unique they are. Even PR's primitive flight physics and weapon systems were awesome.

Lazing for CAS jets is awesome in PR. It's so utterly satisfying when it works.

I'd be happy to see the game limited to one or two main battle tanks, choppers and fixed wing close support aircraft per team per game. Plus they shouldn't be present at the beginning of the game and they should randomly spawn at some distance from the main bases. In fact, I think you should have to capture a certain point to unlock them. Without some kind of limit I could easily see this rapidly turning into some other game I won't mention the name of.

MBTs, helicopters...

Spoiler

VBIEDs

Tanks, helicopters, jets, mortars, AA emplacement, TOW emplacement, IEDs, mines, machine gunner kit, HAT kit, engineer kit, breacher kit, pilot kit, crewman kit, sniper kit, spotter kit, vaulting, weapon resting, bipods, ladders as part of a kit, lazing for CAS, dragging, more medic stuff, working sights, thermals, coax, several configs for each kit, ammo dropping, vehicle limitations, better ballistics, better damage model, GB faction etc.