Darth_Boyle

Do people run dedicated Logistics Squads?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if people run specific squads to be Logistic Resupply Squads within the game to refuel/resupply FOBs? To add realism and to help with the structure, is this a thing people do or not? I know from first hand experience what happens when a FOB runs out of supplies :D (Op. Herrick 8) In addition, do people set up FOBs specific for resupply and vehicle maintenance?

Thanks 

Edited by Darth_Boyle

Pretty much impossible right now. You need three people in your squad to get a vehicle, you can't really do it a a squad leader as you'll just end up with 2+ lonewolfs in your squad, leaderless and rally-less. Asking someone joining your squad to run logistics exclusively is also hard. You'll find few volunteers and fewer competent logistics drivers.

We need the removal of the claiming system and introduction of locked squads for it to become a thing.

Yes we usually do in clan matches, vehicles are unlocked 

The answer to all of your questions is yes.

I know several people who run dedicated logistics squads. However, this can be difficult to do without having locked squads, since your logistics squad has no need to be larger than 6 members. Having to juggle logistics and infantry can get crazy. The inability to lock a squad is probably the one thing that keeps me from running one more.

To the latter question, yes on the larger maps I have seen this done frequently. It just makes sense so you don't have to RTB or potentially be near a hostile zone while vulnerable.

Posted (edited)

I've done it a few times it's pretty fun actually.  And you play a great role in your teams victory.  

If I have a full squad and can get two vehicles I get a Logi & Armor.  We set up the armor on overwatch, build up the FOB, An run supplies while sniping with the Armor asset.  Also once the FOB's built I let the rest of the guys on the ground move into the OBJ to help support the cap.  Sometimes this means the Squad Leader himself is the designated supply runner.  

Edited by Dystopian

I was recently part of a "defense and support" squad(or something along those lines). Was great fun and we just followed up on the other squads who attacked the flags and defended it(duh). And at some point I ended up being the dedicated logi driver while my awesome (British) SL coordinated with the other SLs and asking them where and when they needed the supplies.

Was lots of fun, even ended up with 1/3 of the points in the squad just from running the Logi.

I had a guy that was obviously drunk on my team last night. He volunteered to simply do logi runs entire game. The guy ended up top scorer and helped to build some really good super fobs. Surprised there arent more people doing it.

22 minutes ago, _randombullet said:

I had a guy that was obviously drunk on my team last night. He volunteered to simply do logi runs entire game. The guy ended up top scorer and helped to build some really good super fobs. Surprised there arent more people doing it.

More people drunk and doing it?  :)

Just now, XRobinson said:

More people drunk and doing it?  :)

Haha why not :D

Posted (edited)

Ok next time I get drunk I'll do logistics only, but I'm not sure if I should be drinking and driving! :)

Edited by XRobinson

Posted (edited)

If you get a volunteer who wants to do it, it works fine, but I wouldn't really call that a dedicated logistics squad. 

Like Tarantyco said, it does not work very well if the SL is the one in the logi since it leaves at least 2 squad members with little or no direction. 

Idea: What if when we get commander, he can give an SL approval to bypass the 3 men/vehicle limit (still keeping vehicles limited to 3 per squad). I feel that would be an easy workaround to make almost everyone happy until we get a proper overhaul of the claims system. Squad members would still need approval from the SL. 

This would allow for APC squads with no extra players, as well as a dedicated logi squad. 

Edited by Flat896

What if the person who got in the logistics vehicle was trapped in the vehicle and wasn't allowed to get out til he performed his duty of transporting the cargo to its destination?  Then would anyone get in the vehicle at all?  Interesting to try this out and see what happens.... :)

1 minute ago, XRobinson said:

What if the person who got in the logistics vehicle was trapped in the vehicle and wasn't allowed to get out til he performed his duty of transporting the cargo to its destination?  Then would anyone get in the vehicle at all?  Interesting to try this out and see what happens.... :)

I can just imagine all of the noobs freaking out, wondering why the F key is broken, then driving into a river to their death so that they can be infantry again. 

Have it so that the person who empties the logi is stuck in there until it is resupplied. Then if a squad wants to use a logi, they have to refill it for the next group, rather than just leave the empty truck near the frontline. Although I can see a reduction in FOBs supplied because of this. 

If he crashed the vehicle to get out that would be auto kick or ban....Oh the pressure... :)

there are  dedicated logi squads and when they are run they pretty much guarantee a win, its not hard SL medic rifleman = 2 shovels  

freeing up other squads into pure attack defensive roles while you set up shop and run the truck back works quite welll and is a common practice

Posted (edited)

My unit and I would love to do this on public servers. To bad you can't lock the squad and after 5 minutes im leading a 9 man infantry group. 

Edited by Oily_Goat

Not fully dedicated, just kind of multipurpose many times on Al Basrah. Your squad has to be competent though. I take them to a point, drop rally, drop fob and supply, build HAB, set them loose, and then supply FOBS for a short time to get all squads on their feet. Doesn't always work though haha.

When it does work it definitely helps.

On 4/13/2017 at 10:17 AM, Tartantyco said:

Pretty much impossible right now. You need three people in your squad to get a vehicle, you can't really do it a a squad leader as you'll just end up with 2+ lonewolfs in your squad, leaderless and rally-less. Asking someone joining your squad to run logistics exclusively is also hard. You'll find few volunteers and fewer competent logistics drivers.

We need the removal of the claiming system and introduction of locked squads for it to become a thing.

The claiming system is great, I only need a locked squad to run logistics successfully. You never want to run logistics alone, and having three players is a good number for running logistics.

Edited by Cavazos

If I could lock my squad @ 4, I would run logi squads

3 hours ago, Cavazos said:

The claiming system is great, I only need a locked squad to run logistics successfully. You never want to run logistics alone, and having three players is a good number for running logistics.

How on earth is a claiming system where you need more people in your squad to get access to a vehicle that requires less people to operate? Running logistics alone is something you want to do, having three people out of 40/50 tied to running logistics, and having to get two people to do logistics with you in a public setting is not great. You cannot have specialized squads and complex team organization if you need to sink three people into every single vehicle asset. You'll end up with not enough manpower to actually fight the enemy.

You can't have a situation where you need three people in your squad to run Transport with a truck. You can't run an APC squad with three people, where the third guy is a passenger or lonewolf. There's only X amount of people available for a team, and the amount of specialized assets(Transport heli, Tanks, Artillery) is only going to grow, so you cannot have a system that requires more people to access the asset than is required to operate the asset because then you'll have the majority of your team tied to squads operating assets, most of the excess squad members lonewolfing, the rest poorly led by a Squad Leader with multiple roles to fill, but only the ability to manage one.

You can't have a dedicated logistics squad right now. Some people say you can, but they're referring to a squad manning a fob and having a logi driver supplying it. That's not a logi squad, that's an infantry squad with a dedicated logistics driver.

Logi squads are squads that only serve the purpose of supplying the entire team's fobs. They will have one or two logis, and possibly armed vehicle support. To get one logi, you need three people. That means one driver, and two doing nothing. To get two vehicles you need six people. That means two drivers, one gunner, and three doing nothing. If you want two logis and a support vehicle, you need nine people, five of which will be riding shotgun.

The only way you can have a logi squad is if you get two more people to spawn in with you at the start of the match, claim a logi, then have them leave and join another squad, and repeat the process if the logi gets destroyed. It's not doable. You can't manage an infantry squad and attend to the logistics and transport needs of the entire team.

It would be doable if you could claim a logi with one person in the squad, or two vehicles with three people, like a logi and a humvee. And my guess is that something like that will still happen. Don't forget this is the first implementation of the claiming system. Tweaks are bound to be made.