bega

Free Weekend feedback - Better animations etc.

Hi folks.

Thank you for the free weekend, it was my second time, and it just gets better and better. I still haven't bought the game though. Here are some of my feedback (if someone cares enough to read them, and some have probably heard about them 100 times before). I think I played Project Reality for 8 years, absolutely a great game in the end, but Squad is a lot more fun, probably because of the updated graphics/engine and the more amount of players to be able to play. Here are my concerns though. The game is absolutely fun as it is now, but the character animations still needs to get better, especially walking, crouching, etc. and I know they probably will and are working on it, but I just thought I would throw that out, because it's an important visual aspect. Also, jumping to get over obstacles is not good, this game needs options to get over obstacles, for example "press E to get over", etc. with proper animations. It's a shame, because with those absolutely gorgeous models and graphics, the current animations just kills it.

Weapon deployment on obstacles. Not sure if this is possible, or if it's hard work or easy to do, but it would be really nice, but nothing that is REALLY needed, but it helps due to some obstacles being an inch taller then your crouching height.

Apart from those silly things, I would be happy if those were the only things that got improved/updated, if they were, I would definitely buy this game. However, as I've noticed, this game just gets better and better as it progresses, so it would be nice with some Tanks on future updates ;).

Also, I'm a bit disappointed about the speed of the development, it seems to be a very slow progression, to a point it's not worth buying now. This game has various alpha updates, and it's not even Beta, when will the full game be ready, 2025? This is concerning because, it leaves the impression that this game will not be finished, and developers will loose interest before it's finished.

I have to say though, as a 8 year experienced PR player, that I am VERY, VERY impressed by this game so far, because it's fun, very very fun. Apart from touching myself at night (yes, let it sink in), I lay around and think about what this game would be if it were just like PR, you know the grappling hooks, Fallujah, tanks, helis, proper animations. I think it would become one of the best games EVER created.

Edited by bega

9 minutes ago, bega said:

Also, I'm a bit disappointed about the speed of the development, it seems to be a very slow progression, to a point it's not worth buying now. This game has various alpha updates, and it's not even Beta, when will the full game be ready, 2025? This is concerning because, it leaves the impression that this game will not be finished, and developers will loose interest before it's finished.

To be frank, they are working at a very respectable pace. Software development, including game development, is not easy nor quick, and they have not only been releasing features and improvements since the games inception, but they are also very responsive when it comes to what they are working on for future version. It hasn't even been on Steam for a year and half yet (or it may just be encroaching on a year and half now). You can't expect to have feature parity with PR when they have to develop systems and assets from scratch.

Anyway, this is the most consistent EA/Alpha that I have bought into by far.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

Game development typically takes 3-5 years. The very open nature of our development gives the wrong impression sometimes I think.

We are roughly around three years, and we are still planning on releasing this year. I think that is relatively reasonable considering our resources and scope of the project.

I appreciate your concern and feedback, much of what you have stated is planned or actively being worked on.

Solid feedback, glad that you think that it's getting better over time! To answer some of your wishes/ideas regarding obstacles and bipod deployment, devs are hard at work in that area. It's definitely coming and here's a video if you haven't* been following development of Squad closely. :)

I did comment that I thought the devs had pulled the trigger on another free weekend 1x version early. V10 is supposed to have a lot of what OP is asking for and I think the game may have captured more interested players hearts with those things in. If new players only see the clunky animations we have now and don't realise it's going to change very soon they can't really make a proper decision. Yes it'll be like that throughout the development period but new animations are so close now and make such a big impact how the game feels and looks it surprised me they didn't hold out for them before fishing for new customers, fresh meat team mates.

6 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

I did comment that I thought the devs had pulled the trigger on another free weekend 1x version early. V10 is supposed to have a lot of what OP is asking for and I think the game may have captured more interested players hearts with those things in. If new players only see the clunky animations we have now and don't realise it's going to change very soon they can't really make a proper decision. Yes it'll be like that throughout the development period but new animations are so close now and make such a big impact how the game feels and looks it surprised me they didn't hold out for them before fishing for new customers, fresh meat team mates.

Honestly, I haven't seen 100% confirmation of this stuff all being in v10. Sure, the animation system might be done and implemented into v10, but that doesn't mean every single feature or module utilising it will come with it in the same version (for example, free look could come in but bipods/weapon resting could come at a later version, but overall the animation system itself would be in v10).

Just now, Assifuah said:

Honestly, I haven't seen 100% confirmation of this stuff all being in v10. Sure, the animation system might be done and implemented into v10, but that doesn't mean every single feature or module utilising it will come with it in the same version (for example, free look could come in but bipods/weapon resting could come at a later version, but overall the animation system itself would be in v10).

I am sure the devs are trying their best to make it so and I'll keep my hopes up for now. Even just the vaulting stuff they showed us ages ago would be a massive addition.

Just now, Major Trouble said:

I am sure the devs are trying their best to make it so and I'll keep my hopes up for now. Even just the vaulting stuff they showed us ages ago would be a massive addition.

Oh yeah, definitely the same here mate! We'll probably hear more about it later on, maybe see what's received some more attention worth displaying in the April recap.

I think having Project Reallity as inspiration is really great, but as a squad player, I hope when the game is finalized he is one step ahead of your "big brother".

I really expect more varieties of scenery, like rainforests, modern cities, paradisiac islands, things of sorts, not just maps that seem to be all in the Middle East or Ukraine/Russia.

Despite this, I am quite satisfied with the game, and with progress. The V9 really surprised me, I expected less. It was worth waiting so long.

18 hours ago, Assifuah said:

Solid feedback, glad that you think that it's getting better over time! To answer some of your wishes/ideas regarding obstacles and bipod deployment, devs are hard at work in that area. It's definitely coming and here's a video if you haven't* been following development of Squad closely. :)

Wow. Thanks for all the comments, and those new animations looks absolutely amazing, I am definitely sold, it actually looks a lot better then I could imagine, absolutely insane. I think Major Trouble definitely has a point with his post. They should make another free weekend with those animations, and I think a lot of people would buy it. With this and Helis, Tanks and fastropes, and I would happily buy this game for $100.

Edited by bega

Some people don't really understand EA games in general as has been proven on here many times. Things change, get better, get broken but in the end, if the devs are good (like OWI), we should end up with an epic game. You only really gain knowledge of how the game will be if you participate. Playing the game on a free weekend can leave you with a false impression of how a game will be without that knowledge.

I agree about the animations. I know they are working on the update, but it cannot be released soon enough. I love the game, and I really want to play with my friends. Unfortunately, several of them refunded the game because they said it felt too unfinished and won't repurchase it until the animation update I keep hyping up to them gets released.

You guys are too picky. This isn't EA(thankfully ) this is game inspired DEVS producing a cracking game. With all the games at the moment that look so slick but lack real gameplay SQUADS wipes the floor. Keep it coming.

I paid £70 for SL pack, real cheap at half the price with 1200hrs and counting, there ain't many games that fill the spot like SQUAD.  And yes played PR loved it but was  just too old in the tooth. Yes I'm a fan boy of squad,  but considering the 50% off its worth not doing your smack hit for the night (what ever your addiction) and getting one of the best community going.