DanielNL

Ryzen 5 performance vs i5-6600k (stock)?

I plan on ordering a Ryzen 5 1600 very soon, I have read, and seen many benchmarks, and the 1600 is ever so slightly behind the i5 7600k in single core, and blows it away multi-core, seeing as I record, edit, upload, and stream video, Ryzen seems like a better fit, at a cheaper cost.

I am ordering my RAM tomorrow for my build.

Here is a list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/crustythesailor/saved/mDPdCJ

19 hours ago, banOkay said:

... Epic are great devs :D

I thought they are?

28 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

I thought they are?

They are, he's salty because his amd doesn't play well with UE4.

1 hour ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

I have 6700k and I can see that making a game engine in 2015 that relies on IPC is retarded.

2 hours ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

And who are you referring to as "he" ?

1 hour ago, banOkay said:

I have 6700k and I can see that making a game engine in 2015 that relies on IPC is retarded.

same here...

i cecked out paragon out of curiosity  based on actuall UE4 in singel player , to get an idea of how UE4 can run when "the developer it self uses it"

Well my observations are not really good

Paragon for example:

-Uses 6 cores  and distributes load ok but still 1 high used thread on nearly its max( on a 5820k with 4,4Ghz )

-is allready GPU bound in 2560x1440 and cant reach constant 60 FPS on Epic on a FTW GTX 1080 2177/5500Mhz while the optic stays medicore.

After this test i must say even when OWI manages to iron out Animations bottleneck performance will not be that great but atleast at a lvl where you can play decent in FHD or a bit up depending on your GFX power.

I think EPIC with thier UE4 is at its current state not competitive to engins like Frostbite,Cry,Snowdrop or other permium engins. This problems exist since its start so iam a bit pessimistic in the future development.

UE4 games i have tried that run crappy

Ark

Squad

UT

Paragon( runs least worse in this collection)

EUB

Dreadnought

Damn I so badly want to get a Ryzen, but I also want to get more than 40 fps when playing Squad :$

22 hours ago, Gal4ct1c said:

Damn I so badly want to get a Ryzen, but I also want to get more than 40 fps when playing Squad :$

I'm VERY happy we at least don't get 20-25 fps anymore (like we got many months ago) on i5 6600k, so great optimization so far! :)

On 27/4/2017 at 9:16 PM, banOkay said:

Pretty sure all Ryzen CPUs will give you that.

idk, the video posted on the first page doesn't give me much hope.

4 hours ago, DanielNL said:

I'm VERY happy we at least don't get 20-25 fps anymore (like we got many months ago) on i5 6600k, so great optimization so far! :)

Wow! Interesting. With old i5 2310 and gtx 960 last time I always got between 38 and 48 fps.

Re CPU OC'ing I have run my i7 4790K at 4.8Ghz with HT off for well over a year now and seen absolutely no ill effects. But I have decent AIO 240mm Rad cooling.

Some of the lad's here know far more than me on the subject, but as far as I can see the only factors to consider are the voltage and temp's. Keep them sensible and it all just works unless you get a dodgy chip.

On 14.04.2017 at 9:24 AM, banOkay said:

It should be about the same for IPC limited games like Squad, although I only found 1 Arma 3 benchmark the results should somewhat carry over.

nv_arma3.png

CPU usage and temps should also be mentioned.

For example those i5s are really sweating with 90% CPU usage, in the same time Ryzen CPUs are relaxing at around 30-50% CPU usage. 

This leaves a lot buffer.

8 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

CPU usage and temps should also be mentioned.

For example those i5s are really sweating with 90% CPU usage, in the same time Ryzen CPUs are relaxing at around 30-50% CPU usage. 

This leaves a lot buffer.

Great feedback, thanks! :)