Sign in to follow this  
Verdin

What could have been - blasts from the past

I'll preface this by stating this is not intended as a shitpost for Cryengine vs Unreal 4, PR vs SQUAD or anything like that, it's a pic heavy nostalgia kind of shitpost. LOL

 

I ran across some things while I was searching the net yesterday, and it saddened me a bit.

 

Project Reality 2:

 

I was so psyched when this was announced, remember seeing the screenshots and thinking...man this is beautiful work.

 

2593036-fools_road_02.jpg

 

2593037-fools_road_03.jpg

 

2593035-fools_road_01.jpg

 

screenshot0012wz.jpg

 

2593042-lashkar_gah_04.jpg

 

2593039-lashkar_gah_01.jpg

 

 

2594076-yky1nq6.jpg

 

Even today, I still like the lighting, colors and contrast of that engine. I'm sure the development files are long since gone, but I think it's a damn shame that this work never saw the light of day, even if it wouldn't be under the Project Reality name.

 

Casus Belli:  (a mod for Crysis Wars created by French Touch Studios) It can still be played over LAN for free by installing Casus Belli in the Crysis Wars demo.

 

541391d1335104400-crysis-casus-belli-mod

 

1208.jpg

 

00065_1920x1080.jpg

 

02.jpg

 *watch out for those evil suicide bombing chickens!*

 

05.jpg

 

40.jpg

 

02.7.jpg

 

No, this mod wasn't the most tactical all of the time outside of clan scrims...but I found it to be a helluva lot of fun, it looked great and had an SDK for community content.  Unfortunately Casus Belli didn't really have a chance to reach its full potential, as it fell victim to the Gamespy shutdown. If I had the coding chops to write a new master server for this mod, I'd try to resurrect Casus Belli in a heartbeat.

 

Anyone else have fps games they wish they could resurrect and play?

Edited by Verdin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone should make a compilation of comparisons regarding certain angles of shared PR/Squad Maps (fools Road, Basrah, Kokan, etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what type of performance we would have if they picked CryEngine over UE4. Those screen shots do look like much better quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

man this looks great, especially the vegetation!

 

though Unreal Engine can look pretty amazing i feel like it's not really meant for large scale games involving

natural landscapes. i see so many other games having  insane forests etc. where SQUAD's vegetation looks pretty poor to be honest.

 

i wonder what the dev's could achieve if there were no performance limits...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

man this looks great, especially the vegetation!

 

though Unreal Engine can look pretty amazing i feel like it's not really meant for large scale games involving

natural landscapes. i see so many other games having  insane forests etc. where SQUAD's vegetation looks pretty poor to be honest.

 

i wonder what the dev's could achieve if there were no performance limits...

UE4 has fantastic vegetation, foliage, landscape with some fantastic tessellation. The issue is Squad aiming to be a 100 player multiplayer FPS with a tonne of assets and features, you won't be able to achieve photo realistic terrain with top quality map assets, with out severe performance hit.

If Squad was a single player RPG or top down/third person co-op game, then we would probably see something like this
ue4_gdc15_openworld_03_hilltop_gif_900px

Redwood_07.jpg

If I remember correctly, devs said a while ago that Squads terrain will get a pass eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dubs said:



If I remember correctly, devs said a while ago that Squads terrain will get a pass eventually.

Yeah, IIRC that would come down to Terrain Tiles. Which, if they do a pass on them, imo would make a massive difference on the Afghan/Iraqi maps. For the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys also have to remember, there can be a huge difference between the 2 engines that are complete, and an engine that's essentially still in alpha stages and not feature complete or optimized.

 

I just wish someone would have done something with Project Reality 2, or released it into the wild.  It's a damn shame those beautiful maps went to waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dubs said:

UE4 has fantastic vegetation, foliage, landscape with some fantastic tessellation. The issue is Squad aiming to be a 100 player multiplayer FPS with a tonne of assets and features, you won't be able to achieve photo realistic terrain with top quality map assets, with out severe performance hit.

If Squad was a single player RPG or top down/third person co-op game, then we would probably see something like this
ue4_gdc15_openworld_03_hilltop_gif_900px

Redwood_07.jpg

If I remember correctly, devs said a while ago that Squads terrain will get a pass eventually.

 

yeah, i agree, that's why i wrote this at the end of my post "i wonder what the dev's could achieve if there were no performance limits...":)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Verdin said:

Anyone else have fps games they wish they could resurrect and play?

 

Joint Ops.

 

one day i hope i can get a gameplay MOD happening - lotsa roadblocks tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2017 at 0:44 AM, LaughingJack said:

 

Joint Ops.

 

one day i hope i can get a gameplay MOD happening - lotsa roadblocks tho.

 

Do it mate!. It a shame w haven't  got more mappers from Novalogic to give ya hand.

Before I die I wanna see it, the Reincarnation of DeltaForce:Angel Falls...

 

3557575547557436564.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest those Crye Engine forest images in OPs first post don't look better than what is currently ingame.

 

Crye Engine has horrible documentation and support, plus in the last years crytek has always been on the edge of being declared insolvent, so engine support could be cut off completely.

 

Choosing Unreal Engine over Crye Engine was the best decision they could have made.

Edited by carmikaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did Cryengine went down the stinker so quickly? My gif of DF:Angel Falls from 2009 from the developers of Novalogic using Cryengine looks amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 8:44 PM, LMR Sahara said:

Someone should make a compilation of comparisons regarding certain angles of shared PR/Squad Maps (fools Road, Basrah, Kokan, etc). 

 

Created this back in January but didn't post as I wanted to make others. Here's Fool's Road looking at the Hilltop objective from the north road. 

MojRC8T.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2017 at 10:24 AM, carmikaze said:

To be honest those Crye Engine forest images in OPs first post don't look better than what is currently ingame.

 

Choosing Unreal Engine over Crye Engine was the best decision they could have made.

 

I disagree, of course it's just a matter of personal opinion.  I prefer the look of Fools Road in the Cryengine screenshots more that what SQUAD offers.  The pine trees in SQUAD alone, just look so "meh" and pixelated to me.

 

As a long time modder, I've really enjoyed what could be done with the Unreal Engine over the years, but I wouldn't use it for  such a large scale tactical shooter with 100 players per server + land and air vehicles. While it will come to pass, I think the graphics have to suffer, in order to achieve the player count goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

 

Created this back in January but didn't post as I wanted to make others. Here's Fool's Road looking at the Hilltop objective from the north road. 

MojRC8T.gif

 

That's great, Fools Road has always been one of my favorite maps in PR.  I find it kind of funny that the visual clarity of the PR version looks so much better for distance, when compared to the SQUAD that has infinite view distance. While I find it to be a fun map to play in a tactical sense, it's a bit of a letdown for me when it comes to the visual aspects.

 

Just imagine if you could take some of the varied terrain coloring or texture details from SQUAD, and implement them into the PR version. That would be glorious!

Edited by SSIXS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this