Niklasgunner

Price drop?

57 posts in this topic

I paid $70 for the Pre-Alpha and haven't looked back I love this game and would spend it again if i ever had too... I understand it is a Alpha game but how i look at it is I've been playing I believe since September of 2015 and I've seen it grow and change a lot in the right direction I've also really enjoyed how the devs keep us updated and at times hell they are in the server playing with us if they are not busy. This is by far my favorite game and i really enjoy how its turning out I am looking forward to see what they are going to throw at us next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 I've been playing "SQUAD" since the day it released to the public on STEAM, and i have been using an FX8350 - GTX 760 2gb @ 30 FPS..

I love this game so much that  I just dropped $1,500 dollars for a new monster PC build just so i could play "SQUAD" talk about dedication !!!

Man i can't wait until i can jump back into squad with 80 +FPS. Shiiit 40 dollars for squad ? Hell I would of paid 100 dollars for squad !!!

 

                                                                                                      

Edited by Devastation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is computers and Internet also cheaper in those countries that have lower prices for video games via Steam?  If they are paying same prices for computers and Internet, couldn't they afford to pay same price for video games too?  Theys got to be paying same prices for computers and Internet as we are in US right? Or are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Is computers and Internet also cheaper in those countries that have lower prices for video games via Steam?  If they are paying same prices for computers and Internet, couldn't they afford to pay same price for video games too?  Theys got to be paying same prices for computers and Internet as we are in US right? Or are they?

 

They often end up paying more for their hardware because of the smaller market (poor[er] people don't often spend on luxuries like PCs). The internet is hit and miss but for example in Latvia, I found most plans are just under 20 Euro. The average salary per month is around 700 Euro there, so that represents ~3% of income going to the internet connection. 

 

By contrast I am on about 3500 euro a month but pay 56 euro for my internet connection, which results in ~1.6% of my income going to the internet connection. So relatively they are paying much more in that aspect as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re pricing we have to bear in mind, it's up to OWI - a business to set their pricing structure for their target market.

It's then up to consumers to buy it, or not.

 

That's it, in any aspect of transactional life.

Personally I never even thought about comparing Squad to another PC game's price to then conclude it's to much, or indeed to little. I research a game, or perhaps better put a n alpha project (in relation to Squad) and then I go for it, or I don't.

I bought into an experience, and have received tremendous value, 20-30 hours a week of tremendous gaming for my $75 investment. 

Squad could have half the content to be honest, and i would still be very happy, I do recognise we are very lucky to have OWI and our community doing what they/we do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, janyao said:

wow.

wow good or wow not good? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Again, I am not saying that Squad isn't worth the money asked, but that there simply are more polished, less expensive multiplayer games on Steam. The game has a hard time competing. Just 3-4 days after the free weekend and Squad has dropped to page 9 of the steam topsellers, which is pretty terrible. For comparishon, Arma 3 is on page 3, even Day of Infamy, despite having much less concurrent players, is on page 7.

Edited by Niklasgunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Niklasgunner said:

Again, I am not saying that Squad isn't worth the money asked, but that there simply are more polished, less expensive multiplayer games on Steam. The game has a hard time competing. Just 3-4 days after the free weekend and Squad has dropped to page 9 of the steam topsellers, which is pretty terrible. For comparishon, Arma 3 is on page 3, even Day of Infamy, despite having much less concurrent players, is on page 7.

 

Squad is quite niche in the kind of players it will attract though. Most players might be expecting a purely run & gun experience. When they grow up and are looking for a more team oriented experience with proper tactics they might be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In the old and ancient merchant days a trader could travel to another country and buy goods cheap then return and sell for a big profit at home.  The exchange rate was based on demand and supply that was local.  A trader could count on a profit because he or she knew a demand existed and could go after a supply to meet that demand. Now, we just sell products based on income levels not demand?  Is this the right way to do trade? And mercantilism?

 

So, what you are saying is if you lower the price demand will increase.  But demand for a product is not always based on price, price must be determined by demand.  The trick is figuring out what demand is.  How do you increase demand and therefore increase price right?  Price should increase with higher demand not go lower, right?  It is hard to measure what demand is in poorer countries with lower wages, but if they have computers and Internet they should be able to pay same price as everyone else who can afford a computer and internet.  Because demand determines price not the other way around.

Edited by XRobinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You aren't gonna make much profit if you sell a game at the equivalent of 200 dollars, this isn't rocket science

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Niklasgunner said:

You aren't gonna make much profit if you sell a game at the equivalent of 200 dollars, this isn't rocket science

Are they selling computers there at the equivalent of 1500. dollars times X 5?  = 7500.00 dollars?  Russia's exchange rate is 1 dollar to 56.21 rubles, so 40.00 dollars is 40 X 56.21 = 2248.4 rubles.  They still pay 2248.4 rubles not 40 rubles.  Because of exchange rate.  If they make the average of 20,000 rubles a month or 355.00 dollars a month in dollars, why would the price drop for Russians for the same product?  By the way they pay the same price for smartphones, laptops, computers regardless of exchange rate of currency, as Americans.  The profit comes from subtracting the costs of making the game(in country of origins currency = Canadian) to the income generated from the sell of the units of games over time(in all countries currency equivalent to Canadian), not just selling the game to a country that has a negative exchange rate to the most expensive or valued currency right?

 

What would happen if Russia adopted the EURO, would they then not have to deal with the negative exchange rate of their currency anymore?  Or if they adopted the US dollar, or there was some kind of international currency like gold, or?

 

If the Russians build a game and sell it, are they going to sell it for 40 rubles or 40 dollars?  I think they will sell it for the higher currency.

 

     You cant make a profit selling products based on the income of its buyers.....what if all the buyers were poor...that would then mean there is no profit potential.....the makers and the users would both be poor and the cost to make the game and sell the game would be equal, so why even sale the product at all, just give it all away for free and everyone work for free and get free stuff for free and nobody would have money to buy the essentials of food, water and shelter...they would have to get that for free as well, maybe someday when robots do all the labor and thinking, we can live in a never ending virtual world of endless imagination; a perfect world; a utopia!  But we do not live there yet. 

Edited by XRobinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@XRobinson

The logic of your post is either far above my understanding or it is very misguided. He was using the phrase "equivalent to 200 dollars" not based on currency exchange rates, but on purchasing power.

 

To put it in perspective:

I don't know your situation, but I assume since you have 2130 posts on the Squad forums and in-game time, you're not the CEO of a large company or whatever, making seven figures a year. Buying a boat would thus be a much bigger financial burden on you than it would be to a millionaire. The same goes for people who live in countries that do not have strong economies, the average (local) wages are much lower, both relatively and absolutely... which is compounded for foreign goods because those generally have relatively inelastic prices (labor costs etc are the same regardless of where you ship it). 

 

Compare the relative incomes of your country and that of Russia

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17543356

 

If both consumers are charged $40, the burden is much heavier on those with a lower PPP. So since squad is a digitally distributed piece of software, they realized that it is better to lower the price to make it affordable to the lower income countries, thus opening up revenue opportunities. There are no "manufacturing costs" per sale, only overall development sunk costs. Thus it can be priced by region to maximize ownership or profit without the issue of selling at a "loss"

 

5,000 copies sold @ $40

12,000-15,000 copies sold @ $14.21 (current Russian price)

 

I know which I would choose... Potentially less or the same money but far more people to spread the word about my game. No one is suggesting that universally, "lower prices = more sales". When a luxury item is already in the realm of "affordability", lowering the price will do little to boost sales. But when the item is priced in such a way that it makes it a "Eat comfortably this week or have this game", lowering the price will definitely drive sales. 

Edited by Psyrus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Exactly, I didn't mean the echange rate, but the purchasing power of eastern european countries

 

12 hours ago, XRobinson said:

  If the Russians build a game and sell it, are they going to sell it for 40 rubles or 40 dollars?  I think they will sell it for the higher currency.

 

You cant make a profit selling products based on the income of its buyers.....what if all the buyers were poor...that would then mean there is no profit potential.....the makers and the users would both be poor and the cost to make the game and sell the game would be equal, so why even sale the product at all, just give it all away for free and everyone work for free and get free stuff for free and nobody would have money to buy the essentials of food, water and shelter...they would have to get that for free as well, maybe someday when robots do all the labor and thinking, we can live in a never ending virtual world of endless imagination; a perfect world; a utopia!  But we do not live there yet. 

 

Yes you can and you DO sell a product based on the income of your target market, whould you try to sell your game at 40$ in india? Does MCDonalds sell their bigmac at 5 US Dollars in developing countries? No they don't. You really aren't making much sense.

 

If russians made a game they would sell it at 40$ in North America and Western Europe, and at a reduced price in eastern europe, I really don't understand what you are trying to argue.

Edited by Niklasgunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You totally missed my argument, did you see they do not sell computers, smartphones, or any other electronic item this way?  They are not luxury items, neither is electronic transfer video games.  Prices are based on exchange rates of currency and not on purchasing power of individuals in poor countries.  I understand there is a divide between rich and poor peoples purchasing power, but we are not talking about million dollar yachts here, we are talking about 40 dollars of purchasing power.  There is also import duties on items shipped to countries like Russia, they can be several times more costs than the item itself, who makes the money there?  And why is there import duties?  There is no relief from buying a afforadable smartphone abroad and having it imported to Russia, the gov will make it so not affordable for its poor low wage citizens.  The free market is not allowed to do its thing because of gov controls, and wages are in disparity across nations, why things are built in China cheap and profit made in shipping it to other countries to sell at higher valued currency.  Why China devalues its currency so it can be the center of manufacturing for all sorts of products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's niche like some have said, community supported game.  Sure you and I might sell it for $30, but it's probably pegged close to the cost of ARMA coupled with the cost the Devs have set for their time.  The cheaper a game is, the cheaper, less content I think a game has.  I look at Conan and Ark, see the cost and horrid reviews, and I don't see why I'd waste my time.  I don't worry about what Squad will become, look at the evidence.  V6, 7, 8, 9, keeps getting better.

 

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/95419/


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, XRobinson said:

You totally missed my argument, did you see they do not sell computers, smartphones, or any other electronic item this way?  They are not luxury items, neither is electronic transfer video games.  Prices are based on exchange rates of currency and not on purchasing power of individuals in poor countries.  I understand there is a divide between rich and poor peoples purchasing power, but we are not talking about million dollar yachts here, we are talking about 40 dollars of purchasing power.  There is also import duties on items shipped to countries like Russia, they can be several times more costs than the item itself, who makes the money there?  And why is there import duties?  There is no relief from buying a afforadable smartphone abroad and having it imported to Russia, the gov will make it so not affordable for its poor low wage citizens.  The free market is not allowed to do its thing because of gov controls, and wages are in disparity across nations, why things are built in China cheap and profit made in shipping it to other countries to sell at higher valued currency.  Why China devalues its currency so it can be the center of manufacturing for all sorts of products.

You make my head hurt, not because what you say is complicated, but because I can't picture the person behind this post any different than a redneck talking about muhh free-market while simultaneously not having a clue what he is talking about. Ask the squad devs or anyone who sells a game on steam why games are sold for less in poorer countries, they will tell you the same thing.

 

Also thanks for derailing the thread I guess

Edited by Niklasgunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL....its not complicated... Computers do not cost less in poorer countries...so, why does the software have to cost less in poorer countries with less income?      

You see if they own a computer in a poor country, they are not poor.  The demand will not go up in poorer countries if price is lower because the lower income person doesnt own a computer to play it on.  Demand can only come from people who own a computer in a poor country not the people who do not own a computer and do not have internet.  See?  Its not logical that lower price = more units sold because demand can only come from computer owners who are not poor.  Because they do not get a price break on buying computers and Internet.  Why is that complicated?  Demand for product can only go up if poor people own computers and have internet but they dont because they cant afford it.  If you give price break on software in poor country why is there no price break for the hardware and internet too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/13/2017 at 10:02 AM, Psyrus said:

 

They often end up paying more for their hardware because of the smaller market (poor[er] people don't often spend on luxuries like PCs). The internet is hit and miss but for example in Latvia, I found most plans are just under 20 Euro. The average salary per month is around 700 Euro there, so that represents ~3% of income going to the internet connection. 

 

By contrast I am on about 3500 euro a month but pay 56 euro for my internet connection, which results in ~1.6% of my income going to the internet connection. So relatively they are paying much more in that aspect as well. 

i won't strart about how much we are paying for the electricity, heat etc.. >.> hahaha.. internet is probably the cheapest thing here

Edited by Marijuanoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, XRobinson said:

If you give price break on software in poor country why is there no price break for the hardware and internet too?

 

You keep talking about how simple it is and then conflating physical goods with manufacturing costs (and infrastructure) with digitally distributed software on which volume has no bearing on cost, which is clearly illogical when talking about pricing schemes. It seems like you're part of the American "free market rules all, **** the poor guys if they can't afford it" mentality (which is fine, to each their own), but the reality is that you don't price based on demand alone as stated here:

On 4/13/2017 at 11:58 PM, XRobinson said:

But demand for a product is not always based on price, price must be determined by demand.  The trick is figuring out what demand is.  How do you increase demand and therefore increase price right?

 

You may have been alluding to it and I have misread your statements, but for each price point there is a demand, it's called the price elasticity of demand. Of course that's a reasonably simplified model for micro economics, but it's easy to understand that the higher that something falls in the "luxury" spectrum, the more elastic that demand will be. 

 

I definitely see your point though, that the users in a lower-PPP country that own a gaming computer probably aren't living in squalor, and can arguably afford their games more than the "average" person in the country. I am a proponent of single-global prices as well, but if you consider that the squad devs may want more people playing the game rather than the absolute highest profits, then the regional pricing makes a lot of sense, creating accessibility to users that would have perhaps passed on the purchase otherwise. 

Edited by Psyrus
Added some qualifiers to soften my points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Japan imposes a tax on every payed App its citizens download off the App store that originate or is made outside Japan. Would seem volume of digital goods does have costs.  Digital goods are not immune to tariffs and import duties it seems.  Iam not for screwing the poor at all, a free market should not make people poor, or how does the free market if one exists make people poor?  It seems governments that do not allow free markets make people poor by not allowing free competition and innovation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Well, Japan imposes a tax on every payed App its citizens download off the App store that originate or is made outside Japan. Would seem volume of digital goods does have costs.  Digital goods are not immune to tariffs and import duties it seems

 

You're mixing up costs with taxes. Taxes are a distribution from profits, whereas costs are taken before earnings. Very different things both in concept and in practicality. The reason your points above were countered was because you were trying to relate physical goods to digital goods, but the reason that digital goods can be aggressively or priced or discounted in lower income countries is that they don't have a per-unit manufacturing cost. A tax does not play into this, as it's a rate based on the amount charged. 

 

8 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Iam not for screwing the poor at all, a free market should not make people poor, or how does the free market if one exists make people poor?  It seems governments that do not allow free markets make people poor by not allowing free competition and innovation.

 

No one suggested that free markets make people poor... You'd give Kellyanne Conway a run for her money with these goalpost-changes that you're swinging :) 

Edited by Psyrus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also paid $75 and it was worth it. Btw what's up with those founder skins though!! Still haven't seen them in game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pvt. Lewis said:

Btw what's up with those founder skins though!! Still haven't seen them in game. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now