Niklasgunner

Price drop?

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

While I am not saying that Squad isn't worth the price asked, does anyone else think that it would be healthier for Squads overall popularity to be more in the 20-30 dollar range rather than 40? 40 is a pretty big price compared to other multiplayer only shooters on Steam. PUBG, Conan Exiles, DayZ, Rust, and Ark are all within this price range. Having two free weekends in such a short timespan seems worrying, I get the impression that the games population doesn't grow much on it's own.

Edited by Niklasgunner

I believe in the stage it is at, $40 was to much. I just purchased it after the free weekend. If it was at $40 during the free weekend i would not have made the purchase but $20 I thought was a good investment. Its a good game but still in alpha and looks to have some time to go to be finished. $40 is a big investment when you dont know if the game will ever get finished. To many of us have been burned on Steam Early Release games not being finished, that it makes us a little uneasy.

For any long time squad players, has the in game population normally at the 3-4K range?

As a $40 early access game the price is to high for the game in its current state, although it's really starting to take shape of late. I didn't pay for just a game though. I bought into supporting the devs into creating a game that I really want to play and to have a little vested interest into its development with the hope of learning a bit about how it all goes together. That for me was worth the extra outlay.

I think it also acts as a nice barrier for the more impulsive gamers you might see at a $10 price point. For an example, look no further than the above two posts by Major Trouble and benchedgamer; one says he bought it in order to support the devs and enjoy/help the alpha dev process, the later says they think the game is unfinished(which is true) and not worth the money.

We know the game is unfinished. It's not helpful to be reminded of it every 5 minutes by someone who impulsively picked it up(without looking into what the game is and intends to be) and played for a couple hours without a mic.

Not meaning to pick on anyone, everyone makes very valid points here. Just a bit of a silver lining to the price point in my opinion.

I paid (from memory) about $75 for early access Squad and feel it's worth every cent of that.

The higher than many feel is appropriate price tag does seem to keep alot of people away, which isn't always a bad thing. For instance aside from EAC and good moderation on many servers, I am guessing many hackers wont pay that price and I have noticed Squad has never been plagued by hackers like many other games etc.

Also Squad wasn't designed and certainly isn't for all or even the majority of gamers, it is a highly specific gamestyle. So if it was cheap and many just got it, they are likely only going to be disappointed and refund.

price def' needs to go down, 20-30 range seems appropriate for an EA

Its at the price point to keep the idiots and cheats away. What is £40 for a game that has a life span of ??? (years) Some pay to win games would see this amount done in 2 months, but squad is for life. Dont lower the price it just brings problem players, this why every F2P game is full of cheats. 

i think USD $40 is bang on.

BF and COD may be less to start but they skimp on content and then sell it to you as a DLC exactly at the point you get bored with the limits. Clever accounting which is ruining gaming communities by splitting them.

Squad is a single purchase with a long lifespan. Already we have a great range of content and a lot more will come. Then you add custom maps and get another 4-6 years for your money. During and following this we get Mods which refresh the whole collection of maps. I expect people will be playing this in 8 years on the same $40 purchase.

By that stage I hope the devs have stylists for their beards and someone to clean the pool and cut the grass so they can look at transfers to whatever the future brings for gaming, maybe the Mod community will take over and port it into a new or improved engine. 

Lots for the money, happily spent, still loving it and hopeful for the future, thanks.

25 minutes ago, suds said:

i think USD $40 is bang on.

BF and COD may be less to start but they skimp on content and then sell it to you as a DLC

Wait, how much do BF/COD series cost in other countries!? Here they retail for around 6000-7000 yen ($60-70) for the pretty basic versions. Squad is 3980 yen, a fantastic deal by comparison

The game sells for such a high price because the devs want to have the funds in order to continue development for the game at a good pace.

I agree, it's a lot to invest in an EA game, but I'm glad I made the purchase, as this game is currently my most played game on Steam!

So, you will pay 1000's for a computer system and hundreds on an internet connection but 40 bucks is too expensive for a game?  A haircut costs 20 bucks nowadays, two haircuts for a game....you cant miss two haircuts and grow your hair long and beard?

1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

So, you will pay 1000's for a computer system and hundreds on an internet connection but 40 bucks is too expensive for a game?  A haircut costs 20 bucks nowadays, two haircuts for a game....you cant miss two haircuts and grow your hair long and beard?

It's not what I want, I just think that the free weekend shows that there is a demand for a game like squad, but the game is never even close to the topsellers outside of 50% off sales.

One of the reasons for the price might be to keep the community small while it's being developed.
When it's released they can decide either to keep it at the same price or increase it.

From my experience Cheap = Cheats.

We payed top Dollar because we wanted to invest in a game that no other Game Developers wanted to create.

What would it take to purchase Squad...

Don't go out with your mates on a pissup weekend?

Don't eat so many takeaways?

Don't buy cigarettes or Booze for a week?

Y'all now what i mean,if you really love this game, you would buy it!.

Squad is Cheap as Chips.

Posted (edited)

Most of you here are from the countries like US, where your average yearly salary is around 55 grand a year, im from a country where our average salary is 8-9 grand, here we value our cheddar more & think twice before buying something expensive,  especially a video game. Squad would grow a lot more if it was cheaper in these regions. Trade restrict copies bought from these places to avoid the abuse of this and bam, you are getting bunch of new players and more income.

Edited by Marijuanoz

I paid $70 for this game. Great investment indeed.

$40 was a steal for how much time I have (and will) put into the game. I've had a more intense and unique experience than many AAA games offer at the $80CAD price point. 

Thats weird in my region. Squad standard price is around 20$ (10$ while free week end) Their price used to be 35$ at release but now its got cheaper.

Maybe its depend on where you live? anyway still purchase it from kickstarter package 70$ lol

8 hours ago, Marijuanoz said:

Most of you here are from the countries like US, where your average yearly salary is around 55 grand a year, im from a country where our average salary is 8-9 grand, here we value our cheddar more & think twice before buying something expensive,  especially a video game. Squad would grow a lot more if it was cheaper in these regions. Trade restrict copies bought from these places to avoid the abuse of this and bam, you are getting bunch of new players and more income.

Squad is much cheaper (up to 60% cheaper) in lower income countries. It can cost as low as $13 ($6.50 on sale) in places like India and Russia. 

https://steamdb.info/app/393380/

This guy can do it, he saved his money by not getting haircuts and now he is a Squad playing cave man.abc_geico_caveman_big-265x300.jpg

8 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Squad is much cheaper (up to 60% cheaper) in lower income countries. It can cost as low as $13 ($6.50 on sale) in places like India and Russia. 

https://steamdb.info/app/393380/

it costs full 40 bucks here in Latvia, European country but poor as f

5 minutes ago, Marijuanoz said:

it costs full 40 bucks here in Latvia, European country but poor as f

Perhaps you should try to petition the squad devs to lower the Latvian prices to the equivalent of those countries who have the same PPP? It seems strange/unfair to do it in this fashion when your country literally shares a border with a country that pays 64% less than yours yet has an average salary 15% higher than yours. 

I'm guessing the prices are set based on currency, and since Latvia decided to use the Euro, you pay Euro prices :|