Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TwistedSunshine

Sight misalignment

Posted (edited)

I believe this is something that should be implemented, one of the hardest and biggest skills to learn is sight alignment when using firearms. Sight alignment in short is the relation between your front and rear sight. Currently in squad your sight alignment is always 100% accurate regardless of any movement "you can do 360's and have fairly if not perfect front and rear sight alignment", something that in practice is not even possible all the time as when you breath and move anything that will have an effect. Now you may be thinking this is not possible to simulate in a game but bare with me and give the idea a chance. I believe your sight alignment should be very unpredictable while moving in any direction so that it better reflects the inaccuracy of making such maneuvers. When you stand still there should still be a degree of sight misalignment as that is natural from breathing and general twitching and fatigue of your arms. In a prone position the sight misalignment should be very minimal but still present however there should be a way of reducing the sight misalignment in all the above mentioned ways from holding your breath, the longer you hold your breath the more accurate the shot, and depending on your position the accuracy should be more quickly gained. Now you may be asking why take on such a task of adding such a feature? Well let's be real, anyone who has ever fired a weapon is immediately greeted with this problem and realizes how big of a deal it is, EVERYONE. The firearms in squad are currently far overperforming in terms of accuracy and hit/miss ratio's and I believe this is one of the primary reasons for this. And before anyone get's this all mixed up, scope sway or weapon sway is not a replacement for this, they should compliment each other. 

Edited by TwistedSunshine

Coming with new animation system

Posted (edited)

I've seen that video but what I'm talking about is sight misalignment at all times and true accuracy should only be possible in a prone position holding your breath, standing and shooting is far far far far too accurate in this game. The engagements end too quickly unless you are literally hiding behind cover the whole time. Reaching out and touching someone should be rewarding,, not expected. 

21 hours ago, TwistedSunshine said:

I've seen that video but what I'm talking about is sight misalignment at all times and true accuracy should only be possible in a prone position holding your breath, standing and shooting is far far far far too accurate in this game. The engagements end too quickly unless you are literally hiding behind cover the whole time. Reaching out and touching someone should be rewarding,, not expected. 

I fully understand this. And I agree with you. I also think shooting very accurately is easy.

22 hours ago, TwistedSunshine said:

What is in the video is WIP - We don't know the extent to how much they will apply it, and what movements will trigger it. Maybe wait until v10 release and then pass judgement? :) 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Dubs said:

What is in the video is WIP - We don't know the extent to how much they will apply it, and what movements will trigger it. Maybe wait until v10 release and then pass judgement? :) 

Yeah I know things will be worked on but just because I take a look under the hood of my car that is having engine problems doesn't mean I'll have it working the way it should be. I'm just putting out some food for thought. I don't think there has been a game that has proper sight misalignment implemented and that's actually a massive deal when you think about it. The easy part is implementing how accurate the guns actually are without user error. I believe for the m4 it's around 4MOA. 

Posted (edited)

I see what you are saying but people playing the game don't want to aim their rifle at someone while standing still and miss because of random sight alignment algorithm. While still and ADS the rounds should go where you are aiming. Most players want a degree of control and reliability. I do see a problem with doing a 180 while ADS and still being spot on, as well as going prone at the same time. Apparently falling onto the ground immediately does not affect your accuracy at all.

Edited by Exodus19

9 hours ago, TwistedSunshine said:

Yeah I know things will be worked on but just because I take a look under the hood of my car that is having engine problems doesn't mean I'll have it working the way it should be. I'm just putting out some food for thought. I don't think there has been a game that has proper sight misalignment implemented and that's actually a massive deal when you think about it. The easy part is implementing how accurate the guns actually are without user error. I believe for the m4 it's around 4MOA. 

Still, no real point pondering on something when we don't know how it's actually going to be when the update is released. You could be pleasently surprised!

8 hours ago, Exodus19 said:

I do see a problem with doing a 180 while ADS and still being spot on, as well as going prone at the same time. Apparently falling onto the ground immediately does not affect your accuracy at all.

This is one thing that will definitely be fixed with the new animation system. Actual prone transition animations are coming which will basically make drop shotting non existent!

On 4/12/2017 at 4:11 AM, Dubs said:

Still, no real point pondering on something when we don't know how it's actually going to be when the update is released. You could be pleasently surprised!

In that case there shouldnt be any discussion about anything, because we are only allowed to tell our wishes and thoughts after the game is fully released?

Because just after the full release we know how its actually going to be...

I think communicating wishes and opinions on how the game should be is always the right time, even if its going to be like that after the update, but maybe its because some people wanted it that way, and you only know if you say it.

23 minutes ago, Elirah said:

In that case there shouldnt be any discussion about anything, because we are only allowed to tell our wishes and thoughts after the game is fully released?

Because just after the full release we know how its actually going to be...

I think communicating wishes and opinions on how the game should be is always the right time, even if its going to be like that after the update, but maybe its because some people wanted it that way, and you only know if you say it.

My point is don't judge a book by it's cover. We know it's coming, we know once it's implemented they can tweak and add on to it. Criticizing something we know nothing about is comparable to someone criticizing new content in a patch without playing the patch yet.

Sight alignment, aiming dead zones etc basically everything you can think of, has been discussed countless times since this forums birth. It's reaching that, beating a dead horse stage, not quite there, but getting there slowly. It's not quite on the sniper, optics, medic dragging level of beating a dead horse yet.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Dubs said:

My point is don't judge a book by it's cover. We know it's coming, we know once it's implemented they can tweak and add on to it. Criticizing something we know nothing about is comparable to someone criticizing new content in a patch without playing the patch yet.

Sight alignment, aiming dead zones etc basically everything you can think of, has been discussed countless times since this forums birth. It's reaching that, beating a dead horse stage, not quite there, but getting there slowly. It's not quite on the sniper, optics, medic dragging level of beating a dead horse yet.

Usually developers are less keen on working on something if they already made changes to it already, that's my belief, wrong or right. I rather bring up the topic before changes are made to maybe influence it to a degree as to what could be offered off the bat. If there is no sight misalignment then we are still going to see this phenomenon of assault rifles far outperforming their true capabilities, there is a reason why people bring heavier and longer barrels that are cumbersome to chuck around. Know there is a reason for everything, one tool can't do all jobs like in squad. 

So to just give some advice on the topic to work with, the m4 in game should have an MOA of around 4 inches at 100m, sight misalignment should be added until breath is held down and over time accuracy is increased with a short but plentiful time to fire off one round with good front and rear sight alignment. Retaking another accurate shot should be spaced out. M4's should not be taking peoples heads off at 600+ meters. Result? More authentic and immersive battle performance.

I should add, with some of the developers I've seen on the forums.. they are already fully aware of what I'm speaking about. So hats off.