Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thr34t

SpatialOS for higher server capacity?

https://spatialos.improbable.io/

Another game that I'm following which is also using UE4 is looking into implementing this so they can change their max from 300 players per server to 1,000+. Would this be something that Squad could benefit from? I imagine this would open the door to much larger maps being made as well as the possibility of a persistent 'wasteland' (ARMA 3 reference) type of game mode.

Basically it requires having multiple 'servers' to host a single game, but I'd imagine someone would utilize2-3 servers to host a 300 man server for the most epic battles ever if the possibility was there.

Squad has yet to reach 100 players as a standard set up across all servers. It's definitely getting there, but something like that is no easy task.

There's still a way to go for 100 and I somehow doubt the limitation of server capacity is relevant to that. Gotta cross the first bridge before looking ahead to expand above that!

Would it be able to handle all of those players in a concentrated area? Squad matches typically only use 10-20% of the available play area. 

Would it be able to keep up with fast FPS gameplay where every millisecond of latency counts? 

Also, one of the struggles with squad right now is clientside performance. Would this system help at all with that?