Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dumbnumpty

Friendly shilouettes

After the free weekend my main struggle with the speed of the game was differentiating friend from foe, especially other squads.
The name highlight didn't seem to show clearly sometimes and was thinking could friendlies not have a silhouette as unlike enemy ones it just helps with the problem of team kills especially at a distance. 

As you play more & gain more experience, you learn to differentiate friend from foe, even at a distance. You learn each factions uniforms, gear, camo and the minor differences in silhouette. Eventually you won't have to rely on name tags popping up to be able to PID.

Only thing I can suggest is make use of your map and check it periodically to keep tabs on who's where, and what markers are where. Will help you a tonne until you're able to learn the finer details of each faction.

Having the map key on a mouse thumb button is pretty useful so you can toggle the map without having to move your hand off the mouse or off your move keys. Like Dubs said, eventually it is pretty easy to tell the difference between the diffferent faction's camo and gear that you can tell them apart pretty easily. When I first got the game I honestly couldn't figure out how anyone was able to spot people or shoot at anyone at a distance without wondering if they were shooting at friendlies, now it is hard to believe anyone can mistaken a team mate for an enemy. It is just a learning curve.

Posted (edited)

+1 for map use, helps a lot. Remember you can press N to cycle through zoom stages of map. It has saved lots of friendlies from my wanton 40mm and RPG rounds in the past :P

edit: +1 again - for map on mouse key, i have prone and map as side mouse buttons, spend a crazy amount of time looking at map.

Edited by GonzoPR

Posted (edited)

+1

i absolutely hate it when games do the shilouette thing, be it on characters or usable items,

it simply destroys the immersion!

Edited by FIXXXER

After couple of more rounds you will start to IFF only by using visuals (colors of uniforms, and silhuettes). Hence why I am always proposing on the forum that developers release the full potential of Squad by removing the tags (make them visible only within 10 to 20 meter radius) and make friendlies on the map appear like circles and not arrows. In adition not to make some people ''angry'' about the change, make this option into the server setting and call it Hardcore Mode. So people who still want fast-paced, spoon-feed-me-all-info, run n gun gameplay they can still join non hardcore servers.

+1 for map use & mouse button keybind! Give it time buddy you'll be fine. Trust me the stress of PID compliments the game pace and play style.

4 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

After couple of more rounds you will start to IFF only by using visuals (colors of uniforms, and silhuettes). Hence why I am always proposing on the forum that developers release the full potential of Squad by removing the tags (make them visible only within 10 to 20 meter radius) and make friendlies on the map appear like circles and not arrows. In adition not to make some people ''angry'' about the change, make this option into the server setting and call it Hardcore Mode. So people who still want fast-paced, spoon-feed-me-all-info, run n gun gameplay they can still join non hardcore servers.

I'd like nametags to only appear when you're within local VOIP range, which would also help you to know who is able to hear you. 

This is why I love Squad so much. In real life, IFF is only visible if you're using a BFT (i.e. the map Squad has). They already have names over players (which I hope, at some point, will be a server side option to further immersion when turned off). Best suggestion I have is this:

1. Use your Map often. Take a moment to familiarize yourself with friendly elements and their most recent positions before moving in. 

2. Use your radio / proximity - I particularly like to call out to other squads via proximity when Im nearby letting them know so I don't get blue on blue.

3. Learn uniforms. Every faction has a distinct "look". Even the RGFs on desert maps look different than the US Army (longer helmets, black kneepads, desert digicam). 

As you play, you'll get more confident with your target selection. One thing I will piggy back off of this post with is this:

When dead, friendly player names should disappear. I've had a couple of times where I've aimed, seen a name, hesitated, and not fired only to waste that split second and get shot by an enemy because he was standing behind the dead body and/or the name was displaying above him. 

I think live silhouettes of friends would be better, must be my age, but just couldn't get it.
At a distance even spotting them is hard, it ok if its just single, but get a mixture of friend and foe running around it was just WTF! to me.

I didn't really like the name tags as the placement and visibility didn't seem to work at times. 

Like other guys are saying, check your maps before you fire at a distance! I'm hoping that they remove nametags altogether unless you are very close and are focusing the center of your screen on top of them for a second or so. 

Awareness of your surroundings is (and should be more) important. 

Friendly fire is an important aspect of real war. You should be cautious about who you are firing at. Always confirm vehicles are unfriendly before shooting with RPGs or LAW. It's a good part of the game, I wouldn't want to see big changes to help this. 

Posted (edited)

Under the free weekend someone told me that Russians have black knee pads, that helped me a lot. But what helped me the most was to learn to distinguish enemy gunfire from friendlies. Use the map, and use the zoom, (although, you actually learn better without using the map), If there's no enemies in front, you'll know that whatever you might step up on, is an enemy. Also, when you aim at a friendly you can see the name, from a good distance, so if you see some soldier with black knee pads, and no name pop ups, shoot! If you are already in a close gunfight and feel disoriented, use the sounds from the gunfire to determine where the enemies are. Also, after a while you will learn how the different character models actually look like, especially close range. But my best tip is to use the sounds to distinguish, it's a very helpful tool.

Edited by bega