Pvt. Lewis

After playing al basara it's clear city maps have huge potential

45 posts in this topic

It's a shame that fallujah west and other similar city maps weren't featured on squad. If a firs time time modder could do wonders with al basara imagine what the devs could do if they attempted a city map. My question is, are they holding back because they need more resources for it to be the way they want it? Are they waiting for helecopter infrastructure?

Fallujah being made as far as I heard ages ago. With the extra building coming from Al Basara things should fly from now. 

The devs have been working on an urban eastern European map.

8 hours ago, Smee said:

Fallujah being made as far as I heard ages ago. With the extra building coming from Al Basara things should fly from now. 

What i want to know, a modder has already made a workable version of Al Bashra, and im pretty sure the work on Fallujah was started way before that, so how come we have still seen nothing from it?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Veld said:

What i want to know, a modder has already made a workable version of Al Bashra, and im pretty sure the work on Fallujah was started way before that, so how come we have still seen nothing from it?

Many potential reasons:

• The work on Fallujah did not in fact start long ago, and has not yet begun.
  • The devs wanted to flesh out their core 5 maps (from CPA) and focus on the European theater a little bit (for Russian/Militia's sake) before returning to do more middle-east statics/maps. 
  • Dev created maps have higher standards for statics. Absolutely no offense intended towards Chance or his modding assistants, but the buildings in Al Basrah no not feel next gen or so much current gen as a little bit "bf2-ish" in their simplicity (texture, geometry). 

Those are three examples. 

To be honest, Al Basrah kind of ruined other maps for me. The type of fighting that it creates is pretty epic. Sumari was usually the map that I enjoyed playing the least, so I never expected to like a city type map, but something about Al Basrah is just head and shoulders above the other maps. I think part of it is it now makes sense to make a FOB where on other maps FOBs were kind of a waste because rallies would be just as effective. In Al Basrah it feels like when you want to secure every inch you take and fortify. Also I believe I am getting into more actual fire fights and less either killing people that never saw me or getting killed by people I never saw.

I would love to see more western styled urban environment, like big suburbs or eastern European town c: Take us to Pripyat! :ph34r:

Im not sure why but i love Al Basrah :P

Fallujah will come, the palm trees on basrah were created for Fallujah so that tells you that they have started.

@PsyrusAs for our simple buildings, yes i do believe OWIs buildings are higher in quality. Our buildings were made to the likelness of the bf2 / PR ones so we had to keep it simple but adding interiors created depth.

So whilst our buildings are simple in design they add alot of depth to the map because of how open the entire city becomes.

I REALLY! REALLY! hope that they do this with Fallujah as i HATE some of the new buildings on GORO and YEHO as some are not fully enterable or not all, which i find silly.

1 hour ago, ChanceBrahh said:

@PsyrusAs for our simple buildings, yes i do believe OWIs buildings are higher in quality. Our buildings were made to the likelness of the bf2 / PR ones so we had to keep it simple but adding interiors created depth.

So whilst our buildings are simple in design they add alot of depth to the map because of how open the entire city becomes.

There's nothing wrong with simple buildings/architecture in and of itself, but the issue I have is that after being integrated into the actual game, it creates a disparity between content within the game. Basically it is a hit to consistency, which is a small downer. I hope the original files have been passed over to the devs (the max/maya etc ones) such that improvements can be made to the statics if the prop/environment devs have time. That, or a detail-pass could be done by the original modelers to bring the statics up to the detail levels seen in other models within the game. 

I really like the way you used Al Basrah from PR as a base, but made the level your own, it feels like it has grown appropriately and fits into the gameplay of squad. Al Basrah is actually an extremely old map from PR and definitely was showing its age in the PR version, but the Squad version has really breathed new life into the map. That's the kind of thing I feel would be ideal for the statics, they can have a "PR" feel, but with extra detailing could also feel far more "current gen" as assets. 

It's just a thought, not criticism of the fantastic work you all did. 

Posted (edited)

When your being shelled, smoked, and involued in crazed combat. The last thing im looking at is the interior design. ) models might be updated later

Edited by Smee

Posted (edited)

I agree, after playing the city maps like al Basrah I just can't enjoy the other maps as much any more. I find myself only playing al Basrah. 

Oh oh and it looks beautiful to me, last thing I thought about was the the interiors lacked detail. Sure a few paintings and trash could be on the ground, but it's still gorgeous. 

Edited by Pvt. Lewis

Q: Will we ever get weather fx? A sand storm would be great, or loud sound effects of wind so local comms are harder.

27 minutes ago, Para said:

Q: Will we ever get weather fx? A sand storm would be great, or loud sound effects of wind so local comms are harder.

US moving into the city under cover of a sandstorm would be epic. Especially seeing building looming out of the gloom.

Environmental effects are definitely on the wishlist.

Im so hyped for this map, havent been able to play it yet. Urban CQB will be awesome!.

I'm loving Al Basrah - great effort and gameplay.

An idea for Al Basrah V2, half the playable area and min vehicles. BOOM.

7 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

That's great to hear. Even if wind howl increased making local coms harder. I am sure we had rain in the early versions of development v3 or 4? or am i imagining it,, seems to long ago. Can we also get an al Bashra night version? seeing those tracers flying.. wow.

I personally love to have a reverb effect in the streets and alleys <3

2 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

I personally love to have a reverb effect in the streets and alleys <3

Maybe some day. ;)

10 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

great please just make them 'subtle' re gameplay effect and performance hit's.

Posted (edited)

Without making anders head even bigger. Audio has always been industry leading in this game i feel.

anders. even more wind audio, or environmental audio.. call to prayer, or emergency sirens going off when enemy approaches, you know the score lad. But PLEASE do not add fake gunfire or that sort thing in game. One of the best things about this game is audio is actually real players..

I wish we had burning tires ect for Al Bashra

Edited by Para

I agree, it's a great map. The only thing I didn't like were the empty interiors of the buildings (no furniture, carpets, cabinets, etc). I know others didn't notice it as much but it detracted from the immersion for me. I felt like I was in a military urban combat training facility rather than an actual city.

That said, I love the little market that they have in the town with all the stalls and such.

22 hours ago, Para said:

Without making anders head even bigger. Audio has always been industry leading in this game i feel.

anders. even more wind audio, or environmental audio.. call to prayer, or emergency sirens going off when enemy approaches, you know the score lad. But PLEASE do not add fake gunfire or that sort thing in game. One of the best things about this game is audio is actually real players..

I wish we had burning tires ect for Al Bashra

Haha, I will never add fake stuff. :D

11 minutes ago, anders said:

Haha, I will never add fake stuff. :D

Lies!!!!! I am still searching for that doge in Yeho :o

1 minute ago, koschilein said:

Lies!!!!! I am still searching for that doge in Yeho :o

It's not fake, the dog isn't modeled. That's why. :) I was refering to gunfire sounds though. hehe